Another Carnivore Thread

Enjoy your day bob as you want it to be :slight_smile:

yea turkey…what a waste LOL I hear ya on that!

I can relate, I think this thought is usually a sign one loves their own diet.
I like mine better now, it got so simple and I needed that, I am too obsessed with cooking sometimes despite I don’t want to spend much time with it… And cooking the same meal for both of us just can’t work anymore. Keto/high-carber without meat was tricky enough but without vegetables, it’s over. With meat it will be doable again, I wonder what my SO will do. He comes from the family that ate meat every day, he was vegetarian and almost vegetarian with me but sometimes expressed he would like some more meat. But he eats his share of a young rabbit (it’s not big! maybe 3 pounds?) for 3 days. I would eat mine in one sitting but it would be so sad afterwards so I practice high level of self control (it’s good I love the bony parts so I can play with it for a while. all the bony parts are mine and the dry breast and something similar in the back is his. we both love the thighs). And it’s rabbit, lean stuff, easy to eat a lot of it, even if we add some fattier meat with great flavors (especially so, it enhances the rabbit pretty much, my SO likes lean meat and dislike super fatty meat, I am the opposite except I don’t eat fat alone, I need some meat in it - but a rabbit is better than nothing).
He ate chicken normally at my aunt. Soon I will see what he does with beef :slight_smile: And what I do with it. I can’t wait :smiley: Though my desire towards meat is lower now that I ate more meat in the last month I did in the previous year (not like there was a high bar and it was mostly just chicken). It’s good I do this gradually, it’s still a very drastic change.

@barefootbob: Wow, I am almost envious, it sounds good. I simply NEVER had such an opportunity. Having a big amount of proper meat I really like all for myself… Nope, never… Nevermind, I wanted to ask how much do you eat of it at once? I don’t even know what is normal (I don’t care about being normal, we are all individuals, I am just curious).

I imagine my first only meat meal will be big. I am that type of person, I just never ate only meat before. And rarely will, my eggs are awesome and it’s hard to get proper meat and I have a tiny freezer. But when my beef arrives, there will be a meat meal. At least that’s the plan.
Maybe I shouldn’t come here in the near future, I already bore myself, it’s more than 2 weeks left until the beef arrives… And I am still food addicted, I think about it way too much.

I don’t weigh or measure but I think I typically will eat 1 to 1.5lbs at a time. Today, I might eat the roast at once and just not eat again until tomorrow. :yum:

you said it. I love my carnivore LOL

it is hard to sync up 2 people who eat different. It is such a personal decision how everyone really wants to eat thru their life ya know…what they want it in, how they want to change it with foods they like and don’t like.

Best you can do is slowly walk thru the changes and see where ya land thru it all.

Rabbit is yummy. Don’t eat it much but when my mother in law raised rabbits at her house we ate a few of them. But then she had this snake invasion and the snakes were eating the baby rabbits. Talk about crazy on the farm during that time LOL but in the end with her being older she decided to shut down her rabbit operation. We can’t find it in any stores around here, not a common meat.

Nice thing about carnivore is as we stay on this plan you do tend to eat a ‘bit less’ on so many days ya know. One day you will be very hungry and eat big. Then the next day you ramp down a little…but it is different for everyone on your level of hunger and what healing you have to do. As your body heals it will ask different appetites on any given day. Just follow what your body is asking.

I think it is interesting your experimenting and finding out where you will end up. All we can do is experiment on ourselves a bit :slight_smile:

Yesterday I had probably 1+ lb of ground beef for breakfast. I had this cold because I just like it better that way and also because when cold the fat solidifies into tallow and is much better on my stomach than liquid beef fat.
For supper I had a little over a lb of beef stew meat cooked in the instant pot. I usually add some tallow or fat to stew meat as well.

I found fresh duck eggs at the market today. I’ve never tried a duck egg omelette before. I can feel my insulin rising just thinking about it. But that omelette is about 14 hours in the future. Longer if the surf is good in the morning.

I love duck eggs!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
I’d love to just have a hunk of beef for dinner, but, I am not in charge of the family dinner this year. Whoever is hosting emails out the food assignments . . so its all the traditional stuff. Instead of the norm, I think I’m just going to have a little dark meat, and leave it at that.

Last night after work, I got home and popped open a jar of pressure canned beef. OMG…that was SO good! I nuked it, added some cheese, hopped in the jacuzzi and had a glorious evening! Not even a bit hungry today. Just feeling full and happy.

As for eggs, if you ever get your hands on some turkey eggs…those are amazing!!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #469

Happy Thanksgiving

@SecondBreakfast and everyone else. Call me what you will but I love turkey. I love it this time of year when it’s super inexpensive. I was never a fan of turkey breast growing up, always chose the dark meat and skin. Mostly that was because it’s hard to cook a turkey and not have the breast dry, unless you cook them separately. I’m having a giant turkey breast today that I cooked sousvide yesterday, 130F for 8 hrs. I made giblet gravy the day before with all the dark meat picked from the neck, backbone and fatty tail with the heart and gizzard. Very meaty and rich because I cooked it in the Instant Pot for three hours with about 2 quarts of water into a bone broth. So lots of cartilage dissolved in the gravy and minerals. I reduced the stock and added the meat and offal back in. Really good on the super moist and juicy lightly cooked breast meat which I will finish today under a broiler to brown the skin. Head to tail. There was nothing thrown away from the whole turkey except the cooked vertabrea.

Someone else is cooking vegetables. There’s just three men eating. Me, my X’s husband and another of her X boyfriends from her youth who just arrived here a couple of weeks ago. Yeah I know…California! She and my son went to Hawaii and left us all on the mainland! I can’t blame her, crappy rainy weather here for the foreseeable future and they went swimming in the ocean at 10pm last night. :cowboy_hat_face:

I wish my ex would get married and leave the mainland for an island somewhere (preferably very far away)! :laughing:

Oh wait, nevermind, I’d rather get married and move to an island far away. :smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #471

Well Bob mine got married and it took her focus off of criticizing me and sticking her nose into my life which was good enough. I had to put massive efforts towards maintaining a healthy family relationship for the sake of my autistic son. We may not be a couple any longer (22 years now) but we will always be family and still have much love for each other, rocky as it can get on occasion. But being in separate places permanently would be hard on both of us since we share responsibilities for taking care of Steven. It is what’s best for him and Robin and I are the adults in this equation. I do feel fortunate that we have been able to maintain a fairly positive relationship after we split up. It just makes life easier for everyone involved. I’m sorry that you haven’t been able to maintain reasonable relations with your ex wife for the sake of the kids, it’s nice to be able to spend holidays together with good feelings between mom and dad for them. But I understand that sometimes can’t be a reality. :cowboy_hat_face:

I ended up writing too much but it’s such a nice peaceful evening here, I like to remember, think and write now that my diet is changing and considering you aren’t very concise yourself, maybe you don’t mind. But it’s about myself again, oh well. Ignore it if it gets boring.

I do that but things go so very slowly. It’s good I didn’t need to chase some lifestyle where I finally feel okay as I never had serious health problems, I felt healthy and well even on a bad diet (I just overate, quite impressively) and when I went low-carb, I immediately felt even better and soon reached a normal weight (I’m not pleased with it, I have too much fat but it’s not something I worry about too much).
I just need more energy, I’m usually pretty low, for various reasons though. And my body decided I need some diet change. It was so forgiving this far and now I feel something is a bit off. I am not unwell but my stomach and belly feels less than perfect sometimes, I am not used to it when I don’t even overdo carbs. I want something simple anyway, not my 6 course lunches with snacks and desserts (not because I really wanted those lately but I had to eat my nutrients somehow with my limited options without force and I was adamant to eat the same dishes as my SO most of the time. It was doable but less than ideal, I had my challenge, now I want something better.)

Rabbits is like chicken to me except I didn’t had a rabbit trauma in my childhood, no one forced me to eat rabbit every Sunday. The result would have been the same for sure. I am less sure about salmon and I probably would have been happy with pork. I still don’t know what is beef like when it’s not in a soup but I hope it’s somewhat similar to pork (but it can’t be better, good fatty pork is amazing).
People raise rabbits around here, one can find some if they want. Big stores have rabbit meat too but it’s expensive and I prefer to know the one who raises the animal I eat. That’s one reason I eat so little cheese, I have no good sources. I could buy cheese from farms but it’s not only expensive, it’s too fresh, I prefer harder cheese, I use it sparingly like a spice. At the moment egg is my food, almost everything else is my spice. Chicken was kind of food but I think I am a red meat person. Chicken (any bird, actually) and pork is like… Water and thick, raw milk. Or blood, that’s nice, I always loved blood. Chicken can be really tasty but it’s still just some light meal, nothing really amazing (but I love the skin when it’s fried and red and crunchy. I will need some fowl now and then because they have nice thin skin). Really good pork is fireworks and memories I never forget. If you asked me in the middle of my quite happy vegetarian years what is the absolutely tastiest food for me, I would have said it’s good quality home-raised pork. I just had no access to it and pork from not proper sources is quite tasteless to me while almost all vegetables are super delicious. They still are, I just don’t desire them at the moment.

No idea what will happen with my diet in the next year. I didn’t make a conscious decision and I find myself somewhere that makes little sense but at the same time, it does. It will be interesting.
I am quite sure stay an omnivore but I will eat way more meat and less vegetables than before, I try different styles and my body will decide what it likes as usual.

I usually call it “we are not robots”. I find this quite natural on any diet. Even without a change in my activity, sometimes I need to eat more and sometimes less. When I lose fat, I need a high calorie day every week, it inevitably happens and it’s not like I eat very little to begin with or I ever stay hungry or feel super restricted. I am fine with my modest days but I need some stronger days too. But there are more extreme cases. Sometimes I am just not hungry for 35-40+ hours after my meal and not even have any appetite, I had this on high-carb too but it always was super rare, once in every 5-10 years? :smiley: I had my hopelessly hungry days as well (once a year?) but I suspect it can’t happen on a good diet. If I ever feel that again, I will try eating my top satiating food. I always wanted to try what happens when I eat only eggs (for a single meal, of course, not longer term) but I always ended up eating this and that… I am way better now. I still have no idea how to eat a single dish, I imagine it’s way easier with meat but it depends on the person and the meat. And the frequency. I will be elated when I will have lots of red meat the first time but the next day I surely will want something else too (eggs, obviously). And later? No idea but I like variety.
Yes, it’s quite interesting, maybe too much. I never tried out stupid diets or weird ones definitely not for me but I did try many things. Even unbalanced, sometimes clearly stupid things for a while like extremely low-fat (my worst day ever diet wise but it wasn’t a surprise. but I just had to try once), fat fast (the second day I got paranoid, I am uncomfortable with not getting enough protein every day, I know it’s okay but still. it doesn’t make any sense, I normally tend to overeat protein but my body and mind both have interesting logic sometimes). I couldn’t do egg fast as it banned vegetables. I probably could do that now, too fatty though and I don’t see the point to eat a ton (few eggs only is out of question) and why to do an egg fast when I can do carnivore? That’s much better and more flexible. It was so strange, I basically live on eggs but egg fast was impossible for me. The normal egg fast, not the idiotic starvation diet called “egg fast” that has way too few eggs for me and this is only my first big problem but it’s still a tad better than the usual random braindump starvation women’s magazine diet.

I did paleo for a month, it was too restrictive and way too high-carb but I cut out similar food groups myself so it wasn’t hard. Of course my ideas about too restrictive are a tad different now that I plan to try out carnivore for a little while but when I went keto, I enjoyed I can eat whatever I want, maybe in too tiny amounts though but it was the case only with vegetables, I could fit in everything else I wanted most of the time and that was a long list with several carby items, even after several low-carb years. But that was years ago, I changed a bit since but some access to meat is the really big game changer. Lately I felt I am forced to eat in a too complicated way due to my limited options, not because I desire to eat so. But now I will change it. I doubt I will be really simple any time soon but simpler.

Do you know why is it that?

My SO absolutely despises solid animal fat :slight_smile: Or animal fat alone. I like it with meat myself but I just excitedly mention that the beef place has lard now (not like we would go to buy just that, it’s a tad too far away for that) and he tells me it’s totally horrible and he doesn’t want to do anything with it. Like I would force him to eat my lard or something… So if I manage to buy very fatty parts or lard, those will be all mine.

I never ate duck eggs but I want to try guineafowl eggs one day. I don’t know how, I know people who has them but they don’ sell it (we didn’t ask for one, pretty please, though. when we asked for rabbit head or rabbit blood, we got some but she sold us the rabbits to begin with). They told me quinefowl eggs have huge yolks…

had me smiling on this…hey you love it, you eat the hound out of it :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

No, not sure sure why the liquid fat is a problem. I’m not the only one though as I found this out by reading where someone else had mentioned liquid beef fat being a problem for them. I tried eating it cold and problem solved.
Also, I find it best for me to wait until a while after eating before drinking more than a sip or two of water.

(bulkbiker) #476

Same with me for lamb fat… really don’t like it hot but cold straight out of the fridge I love it!

I’ve got some lamb suet I keep meaning to render. I need to get on that as I’m almost out of beef tallow.

(bulkbiker) #478

I just eat it raw… tastes amazing if you like the texture…

I love raw beef suet but the lamb I just didn’t care for, not sure why.

I haven’t watched it yet but plan to over the weekend. I didn’t waste my time watching game changers.