Another Carnivore Thread

Yep, meat sweats are a thing. :smile: I think it happens when you are too heavy on the protein but I’m not 100% sure.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #422

Thanks, Bob! It wouldn’t surprise me - that meal was rather protein-heavy!

Some googling has found this tantalising definition (courtesy of GQ):

A variation on the food coma, the meat sweats are an as-of-yet medically unsubstantiated phenomenon in which, after eating a ridiculous amount of animal flesh, one’s body is overtaken by a severe bout of protein-based perspiration.

And Wikipedia tells me it’s called ‘gustatory hyperhidrosis’.

In any case, it coincided with a loss of a pound in weight overnight (sorry if this is tmi, but I weighed myself this morning before I went to the bathroom, which is contrary to my normal daily habits) - so I wonder if that intense heat and perspiration was a symptom or a cause of that - or indeed whether I was just channelling my hero Homer…!

:joy::joy::joy:

(bulkbiker) #424

I think it may have something with the body ramping up heat production to use up the protein that you have taken in… the thirst prob from the stilton which I always find a bit too salty in excess…

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #425

You could be right! Although… :thinking: …it was such a small portion it was barely there… :wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I tried to comment a little and well, I got carried away. I’ve read comments and new thoughts emerged. I really want to change now and I don’t only mean my diet, my life is at a point where huge improvement is needed. I am better with changes in multiple areas at once.

I am a bit similar. I am a very curious one by nature (but I just can’t understand anything Chemistry :frowning: and easier topics tempt me more. I like that in this forum I just can’t avoid science but if I just read the comments on most topics, I don’t get a big dose that freezes my brain. so I learn in tiny steps. or just hear about hypotheses, not everything is proven or believable enough for me).
I rarely am against people who seem crazy because of their weird eating habits. Of course, there are exceptions, I know some facts about the human body and people have crazy, unhealthy diets. I just don’t have too much prejudices and if many people have good experiences, I might think it might be okay and research more if I am interested.
It was pretty shocking to learn one works without vegetables without eating a very complicated diet using animal products. It was pretty known almost no plants can be fine but it can be done easily? Wow.
I rarely read about carnivore but it happens. I was very curious and surprised about Vitamin C vs carnivore, I’ve read success stories (I mean health), now I know carnivores have their own strict groups (well of course, people do that) and more relaxed ones… Great mental benefits, well that was a new thing to me I’ve read here in the last weeks.

People need to be a bit more open-minded. And sometimes a bit less open-minded, people often believe so obviously stupid things, oh my.

The visit of my aunt was less than stellar, the food was too good and I ate too much (and of course, plant too, it;s me). I ate pretty much meat and I haven’t got bored of meat yet, it’s a personal record. But I don’t feel a particular desire for it. But I don’t feel any desire for any calories right now, I need to balance things out with some lower calorie days. I probably will eat once tomorrow.
I realized runny egg yolks are sweet… I had no salt and I got hungry during the travel so I ate 3 eggs (I never go for a long travel without food, I would survive but I like to eat when I’m hungry).
I have 122 eggs now, low but not alarmingly so, I will be fine. I still have some smoked pork chuck and my aunt packed the leftover meat dishes as usual. And in less than 3 weeks we get our beef! Fresh meat, that will be something new, we only had a few young rabbits in the last several years, some smoked pork and some meat at relatives (and some fresh roadkill, little and lean meat, it was more interesting and tiresome than really great, I prefer fattier meat). It will be something fundamentally different.

I liked the topic of eggs, finally something I have some experience. Maybe I wrote I typically eat several eggs a day and I’ve been doing it since several years but I ate lots of eggs before too. I had one eggless year when I got sensitive and found eggs too smelly (they have a smell of course but it usually doesn’t bother me. but it did then, no idea why). I am quite content when I have 200-250 eggs in my cupboard but it’s usually less. Under 100 I feel uncomfortable but we have multiple sources, I just prefer the two most important ones, I like when I have some idea how the hens live, seeing them.

Eggs are tasty, quick to convert to something edible (but we can play with them longer if we want, of course), whipping them is fun, they are nutritious and I can afford them and it’s easy to find some good sources. And the possibilities are endless. I just can’t eat all my several eggs without tricks (usually, desserts but I used other protein sources, almost never meat). If I want to skip the majority of my plants and I really don’t feel so very attached to them at this point, I need meat, egg stays my important central piece but it can’t stand alone.
I will just experiment in the next months, I still have no idea what will happen but I am curious. I like to try out certain things, it can be useful even if temporal but my diet surely will change to some extent and it’s a good thing.

Oh and while I really liked vegetarian keto as my main problem is with the carbs in big amounts… It’s quite hard to cook the same food for a high-carber and for myself without meat or much dairy (and I don’t eat much dairy, period). Actually, it wasn’t ideal for me alone either, for multiple reasons. But I think it’s good I had those times. I like to try out things and even challenges but it would be too challenging for long term. I like to eat simple if I don’t have the time or mood to play with cooking (for two quite different people).

I probably always will see we are very different and need different diets, sometimes very different ones. I don’t hate much ingredients. Listening to my body worked this far, it’s just a bit slow but I need gradual changes anyway. I had some drastic steps but I have my limits. Real knowledge is hard to find, I am not a scientist and as I wrote, I am pants at Chemistry but I am an individual anyway… So I will continue my journey. Fortunately, I don’t started with a sick body that needs a ton of elimination to feel less miserable. But there is so much room for improvement, I’m just not sure I need to change my diet and not something else.

KetoSnaps that is a sweet picture…ahhh, just a little Stilton :slight_smile: :slight_smile: lol

(traci simpson) #428

I have been experiencing meat sweats or just being hotter than usual since starting my carnivore WOE. I experience hot flashes and night sweats on the norm but since going KETO they have diminished by 80% so feeling those intense hot flashes is pretty uncomfortable.

Hmmm… guess I got turned down for entry into both the ZC groups I tried to join on FB… guess y’all are stuck with me. :crazy_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #430

WTH is that all about? That sounds ridiculous. Aren’t you Carnivore enough?

:joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

I think it’s because my profile is empty other than a picture… and I ain’t pretty. :laughing:

Forgive me if I’ve taken the liberty to speak for others here- as well as myself, @barefootbob : We’re happy to be stuck with you.

How ya doing now, since going off caffeine? I’m considering it, but not entirely there yet. I was heading in that direction, down to 1 cup a day. But, after that little mishap with the concrete yesterday, I’ve felt out of sorts and relied on the caffeine (maybe a bit too much) to help make up for the activity deficit.

We are about to get 12-24 inches of snow tonight/tomorrow, and I don’t relish the thought of watching the snow without my hot cup of loveliness!

Thanks!
Tomorrow will be one week decaf only; no issues. My sleep is so much better that I just don’t miss the caffeine.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that much snow other than in pictures. Wow!

@SecondBreakfast with the week you’ve had I think you should just enjoy that coffee and take it easy.
If you get a pretty snow picture please feel free to post it. I don’t see much of that where I am.

(Edith) #435

I haven’t finished making my way through this thread, yet, but could you let me know how you prepare the chicken hearts? I’m trying to get more adventurous with organ meats.

If I may add my grandma’s way… :slight_smile:
Slice each heart in three “wheels” and prepare like/with chicken livers - pan, butter, sautee for a few minutes, plate, salt :slight_smile:

Will do. Its barely just begun. Got a couple inches of lake effect snow now. The big stuff comes tomorrow!

(Edith) #438

I am on my second round or carnivore. The first was this past May. In May, I had frequent hot flashes after eating meat, but I’m 53, so I wasn’t sure if was me or the meat. Maybe a combination of the two.

I am now on my second go at carnivore, I am eating more meat than last time, and no meat sweats/hot flashes. :woman_shrugging:

(Edith) #439

Thanks. I think I shall give them a try.

Fast note saying I thrive on carnivore. I did menapause thru it years ago. It helped so much. Had the flashes and crazy of it all, not too bad, but enough to drive me batty and when I hit carnivore eating it all stopped. A few flashes but nothing like before. Carnivore healed me up wonderful thru that.

I can’t roar enough about this way of life. How wonderful I feel can’t be expressed. 100% carnivore is the way for me to thrive and grow and be the best physical body I can be…….just shouting it out cause I can LOL