Another Carnivore Thread

(Susan) #301

Awesome, it sounds like you are well on your way already =).

broccoli…I loved it cause IT WAS diet food…Well I pretended I did.
like bob it is a perk getting rid of it :slight_smile:

I remember long ago my friend stopped by with her kid.
I opened the door and he immediately said…hey you must own hamsters…and I said NO and he said it smells like hamsters…I was boiling some broccoli…HAHA He was right, it smells.
Man you can’t get to eat that again ever.

Fangs, the only veggies I really enjoyed were ones smothered in a ton of butter, cheese and so on. I can just transfer the “smothered in butter, cheese and so on” to a piece of meat and skip the veggies, lol.

You could do without nearly anything.

Before I have found this topic, I was pretty sure vegetables are my most important food group in a sense. The only group I just don’t want to give up ever. But if it’s health or life vs death? I totally would go carnivore. I imagined being a carnivore as a hell for me, going vegan sounded way more sane and I wasn’t into that either, I like to be an omnivore. I’m still an almost vegetarian though not by choice, I just can’t buy proper meat and I’m so excited to try some!!! I know a place but those are nice home raised cattle and other animals and I need to wait. I know other places but only for smoked stuff, well, that’s way better than nothing but I still need to wait until Saturday but it’s almost here.
So, it’s some trying out for me but I totally dropped my vegetable intake in these weeks. I never thought it possible, it was already super low for me and it took several months to get there without missing my precious vegetables in big amounts. I ate vegetable dishes in my past, you know. 40g net carbs for a cauliflower dish sounded pretty modest. Keto was SCARY and totally not for me. And it is totally for me, at least for a big part of the year. And I tried it out of desperation only…

So one can change. You think you know yourself and it’s true to some extent but life can surprise you. I like to try out things now. It’s interesting anyway but I never can know if it can change my life for the better. And while I was fine all my life, no pains or sicknesses, I see room for improvement.

I don’t like broccoli, it’s too green. For some reason, dark green vegetables are like grass to me, not tempting at all. Dark green leaves are the worst, usually. I did vegetarian keto without dark green leafy vegs. I loved almost all the other vegs and couldn’t stomach these, what could I do? :smiley:
Bread has charm. And my huge bread lover SO (bread for everything!) just stopped eating gluten for years. Fine, he replaced it with rice but still, he gave up bread. Now it’s back but not as an everyday item.
One can’t know what they are able to give up without trying. Unless they feel they are totally compelled eating the food item so they can’t even try not to, not even for a day. I never touched some of my favs and cut out some other huge favs without a problem.

What will other people think? Oh I learned this from my SO, make people shocked, it’s fun! And my acquaintances just can’t be shocked :frowning: At least not this easily. They just don’t know what am I eating. Sometimes I’m not sure either, I eliminated too much, not completely but almost. I should add something and at least to some extent, it should be meat now. I am poor and have standards but I know a place or two as I wrote. Some items are cheap. Liver, for example but trimmings has an insignificant cost and I’m sure that’s edible too (if some parts aren’t for me, I have 4 cats, not quite own but I can’t let them starve so I give them some cheap cat food so it will be good for them. I’m not very sorry for them only because they are great hunters, there are tons of critters around here and a nice lake and people catch fishes in summer and the cats receive some parts. I don’t see them for weeks in summer. And I occasionally give them some nicer food as well, even my relative in the town send food, with some meat and tiny bones, they love that). And the best thing is that others mostly buy lean parts so their freezer tend to have some fattier parts even later. Of course, I will buy ribs too, not only the cheapest things (ribs aren’t expensive either but I loved that part when I ate pork. As I wrote elsewhere, I never ate beef except some too lean tasteless thing in soups as a kid).

Oh I got carried away but these things are on my mind lately and it’s a nice thing to talk about when I somehow managed to make me satiated with my limited resources.

(Daisy) #305

This is a great source of amusement for me, especially at work. I’ve been off sugar for nearly 4 years, so my coworkers already thought I was nuts. I take great enjoyment of making them squeal/squirm with my talk of chicken carcasses (making bone broth) and eating liver and chicken feet. It truly is the highlight of my day. They FREAK out. So much fun!

So far only my kids have seen me eat raw beef and liver.
I did shock some coworkers when one asked about a carnivore shirt thinking it meant that I just ate a lot of meat, I suppose. When I corrected him and said I don’t eat vegetables the reaction was pretty funny.

This was weird. I pulled out some steaks tonight and grabbed the tallow and butter thinking I’d have a little of each on the steaks. I tasted the butter and didn’t like it… WTH??? It’s President butter, my all time favorite.
At least my middle child loves this butter because unless this was a fluke thing then I guess I don’t like butter anymore.

The tallow tasted just fine on my steaks, though. :yum:

Chilly, rainy day here. I’m off work so it looks like a good day to read and chill out.

Still eating my first meal. Several slices of pork belly and a rare 8oz sirloin didn’t fill me up so cooking more pork belly. Just going to eat until I don’t want anymore as there’s also beef fat slow cooking in the oven and 5lbs of ground beef going in the pressure cooker to go in the freezer for quick meals.

I also have a nice hunk of beef in the fridge for supper. I think I’m set for a couple of days.
Made a trip to a couple of stores this morning and Aldi had 5lb tubes of ground beef for $8.95. :slight_smile:

good cost on the chub packages.

weird about your butter tho.

I am a super fan of the taste of grass fed butter vs. regular old butter.

I can still taste a taste and I like it so much.

Strange you are going off it but if you taste buds are changing and asking for tallow etc…just go with the flow.

you are being super keto adapted and many things change while our body is in that great zone!!!

The butter thing may have been just what I wanted at that moment was not butter.
I also usually like pork but the other night I tasted some pork and was like “bleh” give me beef. :laughing:

So understand that.
We do want what we want when we want it LOL

last night I thought good beef…and not having defrosted anything for me…I got that DUH moment and ate my chicken—I was like chicken, blah and had to fry up the bacon to make me happy and be cool about it.

Carnivores when hungry want what they want a lot of times, I get ya LOL

I don’t know why but many people in my country LOVES chicken feet. They sit down and eat lots of chicken feet for dinner… It’s totally inedible to me but lots of people love it!
So it’s pretty common around here, you can’t shock people with it.
Liver is normal food almost anywhere I guess. Quite popular in my country.
I love blood. I am a decent one so I fry it, nothing shocking, it’s nice! That’s not so common for some reason, dunno why. We have a traditional food item that has it (I don’t know its name in English) but most people doesn’t eat it.
And many people just focus on lean muscle meat, how silly and wasteful, it would be a very bad attitude if we hunted for food. It’s fine, they can choose but many of them find everything not lean muscle meat (organs, fatty stuff, blood) “gross”. Their attitude is gross… :frowning:

Some people are too easy. My SO had more success than me, he ate yogurt with chopsticks, they freaked out, he ate fruits of the sea (or something similarly “strange” thing, okay, Hungary has no sea but still, it’s normal food!), they freaked out… My acquaintances barely batted an eye when I talked about my 6-10 eggs per day (sometimes more) and I know it’s something insane and highly idiotic in the opinion of many people.
I only shock people on the internet. It’s so easy. A really sensitive vegan can act like I am a savage just because I am an ALMOST vegetarian and not a true one. I wonder if that upset one met people sometimes… They were upset not because of the subtle presence of carcasses but the lack of the sacred holy grains in my diet. It was quite funny. Do they verbally attack everyone but their very own group? Is that their life? (By the way, I totally like normal vegans and totally dislike the hateful closed-minded and a bit stupid ones who try to shock everyone, telling us we eat dead bodies of animals. Wow, I thought the meat grows on happy bio trees. I feel so sinful and disgusted now. I just don’t understand them. I am against animal cruelty too, that part is fine. But my anchestors were peasants, quite practical people, maybe that had some effect on me. I don’t like to kill animals but well, I don’t like to kill plants either.)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #313

Everyone has to feed, even plants live off death. :cowboy_hat_face:

No normal person likes to kill.

but cycle of life is 1000% about a food cycle on this planet. Simple as that.

A lion never not likes to kill, it is survival and instinct and his food.

Only humans truly ‘care/worry/are affected’ by food sources.
From social to agricultural nightmares and plant harm and animal cruelty and more.

I get that a lot. Only thing we can do is make sure humane practices are followed in the ‘big corps’ big profit situations when it comes to meat sources…and plant ones with safe agri practice and more.

True. I am quite aware of certain facts. And how great is this? The dead matter must be recycled. It works well since billion years. In many cases, the dead bodies are forcefully created, even for a plant. This planet has a long history of it, maybe that’s why I’m not upset about killing other beings in a not unnecessarily cruel way for food. I might choose not to if I can avoid it but I need to kill (even if not with my own hands) lots of plants and animals to live, this way or another even if I don’t eat both groups.

Some tricky beings live on non organic material only and I haven’t the vaguest idea what my cute airplant does nutrition wise but it keeps living if I water it once per month. But most living being do use the bodies of some other being.

Caffeine: this morning I made my first cup half regular half decaf. I drank half the cup. Had another cup & a half decaf. No issues.
I did take a serious nap this afternoon but that is not uncommon when it’s cold, rainy, and the kids are away. It was awesome.
Got up and needed to move so went for a run. Nearly faceplanted when I hit a slick spot on the run but brushed it off, laughed and kept going.

Our puppy decided to feed herself some meat, as opposed to kibble today!
Hubby was loading the 2 steers on the trailer to take the butcher. Since he was quite preoccupied, Rufus decided she’d play “catch me if you can” with the chickens. I got home from running errands and there were 2 chomped up chickens sprawled across the back yard. =+( Not cool.

On the upside, the steers are finally loaded and ready to go at 6am tomorrow. 2-3 weeks, and we will have a fresh load of beef. Yippee!!! Rufus will have plenty to nosh on in the weeks to come!

That’s awesome on the fresh beef but really sucks on the chickens.

It is 40’C (104F) here this morning. The kitten and the big cat are sprawled on the tile floor like it is a fiery Armageddon. I have 2 litres of tepid rain water in the flask next to me.

I love that we are on the same planet but seemingly worlds apart.

The carnivore eating seems to suit the winter season well. It’s late spring here and we are looking at a long hot summer. The local avocado crop is amazing and the oranges are just coming to season’s end but only $1.49/kg at the market, so the crop must have been good.

Despite the heat wave I had a sardine omelette for 11 am breakfast and an iced long black coffee. The sardine omelette came from an interview with Luis Villaseñor and a story about eating keto on $US5 per day. 3 egg omelette, salt to taste, cooked in butter (or the olive oil from the sardine can, if you trust it), green leaves (he used spinach, I used seaweed), and 3 delicious little sardine corpses broken into fork size chunks. I also found half an avocado in the fridge left over from my wife’s salad, so that went on top as well.

Sardine omelette cooked breakfast in 104’F heat. Speaks to the deliciousness and novelty of eating keto. While you ketonians are eating winter (meat) up north, it is incredibly easy to fast down south in the hot weather.

Ah Sunday morning. I’m playing hooky from church, it’s 45 minutes there, hour and a half service, 45 minutes back home and I have to drive and hour and back this afternoon to pick up the kids. Yeah, I know, that’s a crappy excuse but I’m sipping decaf (had half cup regular caff earlier) and spending way too much time on here. I got a little too interested on a nit-picker thread here earlier.
Anyway, I’ve been reading Stefansson’s Fat of the Land. I highly recommend it.
What really leapt out at me last night was the chapter on scurvy. Particularly how the medical establishment, in the face of evidence that fresh meat cured scurvy still stuck to the notion that meat was bad and that vegetables cured scurvy. Needless to say, men on expeditions continued to die in droves.

This reminds me that the prevailing medical opinion and wisdom only changes when the proponents of a wrong idea die off.
For example:
Bloodletting was disproven as far back as 1628 but continued in practice for another two centuries. In fact George Washington was possibly killed by his doctors who insisted on bleeding him over the objection of a younger physician who knew better.
It hasn’t been that long ago that doctor’s were prescribing cigarettes (probably whatever brand paid them the most).
How many people have been hurt or killed by the salt myth?
How many people suffer needlessly on the throne because they eat so much fiber?
Many docs tell their patients to not eat cholesterol rich foods even though it is well established that dietary cholesterol is not a factor with serum cholesterol.
Don’t get me started on the idiocy of the lipid hypothesis…