Another Carnivore Thread

It’s not that I need convincing that it’s right. Maybe I need the motivation because of the $$$.

yea I got the small dog and it isn’t that bad…bigger dogs is rough on the wallet, I hear that.

But a lot of people feed chicken with beef so the beef side is smaller and the chicken side is higher and cost on chicken is a lot lower…but all things you gotta research in what you want to feed and how you want to feed it.

put the money up front in food to avoid the high vet costs that could come your way thru illness? that kinda stuff I balanced out in my mind so…just things to consider

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #283

It’s okay, you’re not frightening me - I’ve had it drummed into me since my diagnosis in 1986 so I’m aware of the potential complications.

Thankfully I still have all my toes and no diabetic retinopathy because I have (sadly to a large extent at the expense of a ‘normal’ life) been so obsessive about my diabetes control!

My gut still loves Brussels sprouts, though! Am not even prone to gas… :rofl:
I’d hate to think that the sprouts are silently killing me too.

oh sorry I didn’t know you were having a diabetes issue. I was just using that as a point.

I did not mean that as a direct affront to you personally!!

yes the control on it is so key to so much better health long term!

if you research that group of cabbage, b sprouts and more you follow the chain of what it does for its toxic survival to not be eaten :slight_smile: and then you see some dangers in it………like this one that is more specific:
may not be suitable for people taking [anticoagulants], such as [warfarin] since they contain vitamin K, a [blood-clotting] factor. In one incident, eating too many Brussels sprouts led to hospitalization for an individual on blood-thinning therapy.

So while that one is extreme there is a million little toxic reasons to drop those babies by the wayside LOL

but that is the beauty of carnivore.
ultimate elimination menu
go there and give a set like 30 days and then re-introduce the brussel sprouts and see if anything really jumps out…all any of us can do personally is eliminate and retry and see where we stand I guess

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #285

No worries. I’m not having a diabetic issue, far from it! I am very grateful that I have such excellent control.

Which is why I’m wondering about going carnivore - I feel I might potentially get results as good as these with less effort on the nuts and bolts of insulin dosage calculations and timings if I’m ZC or close to it.

Because it’s a lot of effort to get a line like this.

Edited: just realised this was an overnight graph, so no eating! See below for daytime graph!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #286

I know you didn’t - it’s fine! :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

First meal of the day:
1 Qt container of ground beef (cold)
1 chuck steak -unsure of size also cold
Tallow

Not carnivore specific but of interest.

Kids leave for 3 days at grandma’s this afternoon.
I guess if I’m going to back off on caffeine some more this would be the time to do it.
Less likely to be crabby if no one is around.

I found this to be an interesting, and sure to be controversial, take on the subject by a long time carnivore.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #291

All the best with that, @barefootbob! You got this!

Mr S gave up caffeinated coffee a couple of years ago after a heart scare. He would have many, many cups a day, and felt it would be impossible to give it up, but he did. Okay, he does now drink decaff, but far fewer cups altogether than he used to. Not sure how he’d feel about giving up coffee altogether, though, you know, even decaff. :thinking:

I love my coffee but now that I’m sleeping better I don’t really need the boost. Plan to keep a cup or two of decaf because I genuinely enjoy a hot cup of straight black coffee first thing in the morning.

never a coffee drinker but what I do miss is that ‘hot cuppa’ something.

I dropped tea. It go so bitter tasting to me and I just dropped it and don’t want it anymore. Or hot cocoa…gone for sure.

but that hot sip of something so I just go for broth now. If you feel you need a cuppa something, maybe think sip a little hot broth. Might help ya a bit?

I’m sure it would but I like my coffee. :slight_smile:
It’s also a lot easier to make a cup of decaf than to try to keep a constant supply of bone broth as I make it myself.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #295

@barefootbob not only have I spent the last 20 minutes down the rabbit hole of zerocarbhealth.com, I have also just spoken to Mr S about the prospect of eating only meat, eggs and cheese.

I have now just picked myself up off the floor. No ‘WHAAAAAAAT?’, no ‘no way!’, no ‘are you crazy?’.

Instead I got only: ‘But I’ll miss broccoli!’.

Context: Mr S would only ever have a single, token ‘tree’ :broccoli: when I served it at mealtimes. He hated both the flavour and texture. But since ditching carrots, peas, potatoes and parsnips etc in early September, he has really been enjoying the only veg I serve - leeks, cabbage, cauliflower and especially broccoli!

And it’s not a MASSIVE step to drop broccoli in favour of being ZC, now is it?

(We really might do this.)

Now I’m back off down that rabbit hole. See you on the other side…

(bulkbiker) #296

It’s very compelling once you start to research it… enjoy… and imagine no more broccoli … ever!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #297

I’m amazed, Mark! Am not diving in immediately - not least because I’ve got a fridge and freezer full of veg - but I’m planning a little way ahead.

The things I’m finding I’m thinking through are ‘what are people going to think?’ (Yes I know, what’s it to do with them and why would they care anyway?!) and also getting used to doing things differently from a diabetic point of view. But that’s actually the exciting bit that I’m wanting to see a difference in, so again, I’ve blown away another of my own arguments! :rofl:

I mean I sorted out my regimen when I went keto, and I’m not dead. I take way less insulin and my blood glucose levels are extraordinary (in a good way).

I’m enjoying the research!

I bl***y love that stuff. Could I do without it? :thinking:
But if I say ‘but I couldn’t give up broccoli’ then maybe that’s kind of like one of my non-keto friends saying ‘but I couldn’t give up bread’!

I know :broccoli: isn’t :bread:. But there’s possibly still a small point there.

That’s funny!
Broccoli is one of the few veggies my middle child will eat. I still can’t figure that out.
To me, never eating broccoli again is a PERK of ZC! :smile:

Of course, I may be prejudiced against it because of the military. The cooks would boil it to a rubbery consistency making it even nastier.

(Susan) #299

Hehe, if my kids all disappeared for a few days the first thing I would do is go to bed and catch up on some sleep, haha. Enjoy your freedom for a few days =). I agree that it will be the best time to go off the caffeine, try some boiled water -sounds odd to some, but I really enjoy it. You still get the warmth, the the benefits of water, but no caffeine -). Best wishes in your caffeine withdrawal =).

Not going cold turkey. I currently drink a cup of regular and a cup of decaf. Thinking of making the first cup half regular/half decaf and seeing how that goes for a while. Then backing off the rest of the way later but keeping my decaf. I love a hot cup of coffee especially before the sun comes up… even in the middle of summer.

I don’t think it’ll be very noticeable as I went from 2 cups regular to 1 with no problem at all once I started getting better sleep.