Alternative to Eating Butter: Drink Heavy Cream

butter
fat

(Meeping up the Science!) #22

Satiety has zip to do with calories. Your body has no idea what the hell a calorie is. That’s just human quantification of energy measurement.

Part of satiety is linked to stomach expansion, actually. This is what triggers the release of ghrelin - not just macronutrient content. Macronutrient content can reduce appetite, but it’s stomach lability that increases, or decreases, the sense of fullness. This is a neurological response that involves the stomach, as well as the vagus nerve.

As for heavy cream, many people use it.

I use ghee instead of butter and avoid heavy cream (I try to avoid most dairy), however either works.

(Shannon Roberts) #23

@BillWide did you just spam me with your link?

(David) #24

One of my aims is to get to a place where I feel like I don’t need to track, but at the moment as I’m changing my body’s relationship with food, and learning to understand what my body is telling me with every little grumble and rumble I find that tracking is essential for me at this stage. It is also helping me because I’m stalled, and even gaining weight at the moment, and can look back to see what I ate, when I ate, and how much I lost as a result. I’m also writing in my diary things like how I felt, when I started feeling hungry, etc.

??? What does that have to do with whether liquid food provides lower satiety than solid food?

(Meeping up the Science!) #26

Tl;dr - Solid food provides more satiety because it stretches the stomach since it can’t get through the pylorus. Liquid does not do this as effectively.

I’d rather the long version, really, as I do read it. But that was more of “something I didn’t say before”.

However, having done some more research now, it seems the theory is on fairly shaky grounds, and isn’t really a proven idea (there seems to be more evidence against it than for it really, and the evidence for it is almost all confounded by the liquids appearing to be essentially straight sugar vs solids that were a mix of things). But, that might make for a good “show me the science” post.

(Luke Jeffery) #28

To be fair to her, that is what @Donna said in her first post

(LongHaulKeto) #29

For me I can add butter to anything and not have a problem, but if I use to much HWC it causes me to stall in my weight loss.

She said nothing about liquid vs solid food effects on satiety or the mechanisms for how they are different in the first post. She talked about calories, then talked about stomach expansion, but never mentioned the liquid vs solid aspect, even though that was what she quoted from me and was responding to.

In the second post, on the other hand, she did mention the liquid vs solid aspect.

(Adam L) #31

Muting

(Luke Jeffery) #32

The implication in the first post was that solid food stretches the stomach more and therefore leads to the hormone release that was discussed.

That was no where stated. Maybe for someone that already knows the information, it seems implied. Maybe for could guess the connections. It was, however, simply not stated nor clear, and would require making several assumptions to draw that conclusion without prior knowledge (and assumptions are generally not a good thing).

The whole idea appears to be inaccurate anyway, so I guess it doesn’t matter too much at this point.

(Connie) #34

I know I’m a bit late on this thread (just recently joined forum) but my question for heavy cream is can it be used on fasting days? (or, rather, does it count as a fast if I have heavy cream in my coffee instead of butter?) I use a locally produced organic cream that is so rich I can actually see the fat droplets floating on the top of my coffee - and it’s sooo delicious! I want to try a fast/feast cycle but wonder if I have to give up my cream on the fasting days. Thanks for advice in advance!

It depends on your definition of a fast - some people only consider 0 calories as a fast, while many others, including Jimmy Moore, Dr. Jason Fung and Megan Ramos of the Fasting Talk podcast consider some calories acceptable, including Dr. Valter Longo that developed the Fasting Mimicking Diet.

In the thread below, @ron-coleman used HWC extensively during his fast and his objective measurements of fasting seem to strongly suggest that you can, but some people are sensitive to dairy, so HWC could be a problem for them.

(Norma Laming) #36

Funnily enough, some people find the same thing for running when they abandon using a Fitbit or similar

(Cynthia ) #37

Hi! New to this site, NOT new to keto. Question: I’ve been told to use butter, olive oil, and coconut oil “freely and generously” but then told to use half & half rather than heavy cream. This makes no sense to me since half & half has more carbs than heavy cream. I’M using heavy cream now because my weight loss is REALLY slow this time (peri-menopausal). Any insights? Anyone?

Might be better in it’s own topic, but I’d say I’ve never heard that advice before. Who are you hearing this from?

From searching around for anything like this, the best explanation I can find is people thinking about the calories and saying that the carbs in Half and Half are only slightly more than Heavy Whipping Cream anyway (that kinda depends on portions and what you are comparing).

At 15ml, Half and Half is nearly twice the carbs of Heavy Whipping cream (0.71g vs 0.41g, respectively). Neither is huge of course, so you could get away with either depending on how much you take. But, if you take a lot, that can make a difference. Some are still thinking the calorie disparity is a big deal which has an even wider margin, but since the calories come from fat I’m not as concerned. I’m often taking it wanting to get the extra calories that will tell me I’ve had enough anyway. (Disclaimer: I’m currently loosely testing out upping my intake actually to see if I’ll have some corresponding metabolism increase without putting on weight, or at least not long term weight, but I’d still give the same advice even when I was not doing this).

Alternative idea: there may also be some confusion due to language cropping up, as some English speaking countries (like the U.K.) have different terms for these items (Heavy Cream is “Double Cream” there), so somewhere along the lines there may be some mistranslation. That’s just a guess though not knowing who is saying this advice.

(Cynthia ) #39

Thank you for your insights. I got this advice from a diet plan I am following that was created by docs and I am monitored by RNs weekly. In six months I lost 60 lbs on this plan in 2015. I gradually slipped into eating carbs again and regained 40 lbs in the past three years. I have recommitted to the plan but after eating keto for three months then eating “normally” for two months then keto for three, etc., etc., plus the fact that I am now peri-menopausal, my body is just not responding as quickly. I’ve lost a net 12 lbs since November 27, often gaining three pounds one week, losing two the next, losing a half pound the next, then regaining a pound and so on. Making very slow progress so I am adding more fat to my diet in the hopes it will help.

#Barf I’m not going to eat straight butter or drink heavy cream. I’ll meet my needs by having a nicely prepared meal or snack.

If that program tries a calorie restriction method as well (many do) then that might be why they go for the half and half (even though it seems simpler to me to just change amounts and keep higher proportions of fat to carb ratio). I’m no longer convinced that calorie restriction is a great long term strategy due to how the body can adjust it’s energy usage over time, though I’ve also done it to some degree myself (initially mostly just naturally as I didn’t want to eat more).

That may not be what they are doing at all though and your doctors/RNs may have a better answer for you as to why they favor one over the other. I’ve just seen no indication in my own research that such would be preferable, but I’m an amateur.