Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting

fasting
exercise
cycling
intermittentfasting

I don’t understand. Oct 16-31 is a total of 384 hours. The hours you’ve stated add up to 395.

I think it would be very unusual for someone to fast for 15 days and only lose 4 lbs. So if that’s what happened to you, expert help would be warranted. In his book, Dr Fung says to expect about half a pound per day. That has certainly borne true for me.

(What The Fast?!) #222

I started on Oct 15th (the night of Oct 14th) - I’m including that day. 395 hours is about 16.5 days. I may have listed one extra 24 hour period in there, but I don’t think so.

(What The Fast?!) #223

That’s probably why it works, because you’re always mixing it up! I’m trying to do the same type of schedule - fasting Mon - Fri, and feasting on the weekends. This week, I started my fast Sunday after breakfast, then ate 2 meals on Tuesday, and am fasting now through Friday night (so 72 hours). I’ll eat again on Saturday and maybe Sunday brunch.

(Michelle) #224

I honestly think the $1,000 is worth it to sign up for IDM… something is whacky and maybe they can help figure it out. I’m jelly of your EF!! I can barely go 24 hours.

(What The Fast?!) #225

You can do it, I KNOW you can!!! Drinking salt water helps. @MKChitown
I’m going to give it another week or two on my own, then reassess.

I’m going to Whistler over Thanksgiving and will be skiing so hoping I can maintain whatever weight I lose while I’m there!

(Michelle) #226

When I was in Hawaii I lost 4 lbs. I attribute that to no peanut butter. :smiley:

However, since I got back in early August, I’ve weighed only once and gained about 6 lbs. I haven’t set foot on the scale since. My clothes are all fitting the same, but I look doughy… Dunno. Have so many other things to concentrate on, I’m just not focusing on my weight. I know I’m not where I want to be!! Have to refocus, but these last 2 months are organically derailing at every turn!!

(What The Fast?!) #227

Girl, I feel you. Life gets in the way so much…but that’s the point of life, after all. :slight_smile:

(What The Fast?!) #228

Got down to 146.2 on this last 3 day fast. I broke my fast Friday night at dinner with friends and managed to maintain the loss through Saturday morning. Yesterday I ended use eating brunch and dinner (all keto foods) and somehow gained FIVE pounds. Aaaaarrrrgghhh!!!

I’m sure it’s water weight (I also worked out yesterday and my muscles are probably retaining water too). I also haven’t :poop: since those refeeds, so hopefully that happens soon too. :slight_smile:

I started a 5 day fast after dinner last night. My current record is 4 days, so I’m excited to beat that. If I feel good, I may go for a week long fast - I find it much harder to fast through the weekend though.

I am going on a ski trip in 2 weeks and haven’t tried on my pants from last year. I was really hoping to get down into the 130’s before we left.

Progress update:
3/26/17 SW keto at 149 (32% BF) - was already working out constantly, eating clean, but couldn’t lose weight before starting keto.
10/15/17 SW for SJ: 153.7 (34% BF) - gained on keto
95 hr fast
48 hr fast
10/21/17 147.7
48 hr fast
10/23 150.8 after refeed
24 hour fast
10/25 150.1
65 hour fast
10/27 147.0
10/28 150.1
10/29 151.9
Start fast (after breakfast)
10/30 150.1
10/31 148.6 end fast 49 hrs
Start fast (evening)
11/1 148.7
11/2 147.7
11/3 146.2 end fast 72 hours
11/4 146.2
Start fast (evening)
11/5 151.0 (hoping this is water weight…)

Goal weight: TBD, but 127 puts me at 20.5% BF, 135 puts me at 23%

(What The Fast?!) #229

Woo hoo! Most of That (water?) weight jump came off in the last 24 hours of fasting! 146.8 this morning. 35ish hours into 130 hour fast!

(What The Fast?!) #230

Hey fam!! I’m down to 145.3 today - woo hoo!

I had a massage last night and didn’t drink much water after, so it may well be water weight, but I’ll take it. :slight_smile:

I definitely feel like eating today but I’m pushing through! Everyone says that day 3 and beyond is easier - my record is 4 days and I don’t remember it getting easier, but maybe that’ll change this go round! :slight_smile:

My favorite thing about fasting is that each night I go to sleep is like going to bed on Christmas Eve - I can’t wait to see what’s waiting for me (on the scale) in the morning! It’s what keeps me going through the day - I remember that if I just make it to the evening, I get to go to bed and wake up lighter.

(KCKO, KCFO) #231

Glad you are seeing some results. LOL at going to bed on Christmas Eve :laughing:

(What The Fast?!) #232

144.2 today! I did yoga last night and didn’t have any water though. :slight_smile: either way, happy day!

The irony is that I started keto just a few lbs heavier than this. I can’t believe it took me 7 months and 6 lbs to realize fasting was the answer.

(What The Fast?!) #233

143.3 today on morning of fasting day 5

I did a heated barre class this morning and dragged a$$!! Feeling super drained today and I can’t WAIT for some bacon tonight!! I have a feeling I’ll be distracted thinking about dinner all day!

Progress update:
3/26/17 SW keto at 149 (32% BF) - was already working out constantly, eating clean, but couldn’t lose weight before starting keto.
10/15/17 SW for Fasting: 153.7 (34% BF) - gained on keto
95 hr fast
48 hr fast
10/21/17 147.7
48 hr fast
10/23 150.8 after refeed
24 hour fast
10/25 150.1
65 hour fast
10/27 147.0
10/28 150.1
10/29 151.9
Start fast (after breakfast)
10/30 150.1
10/31 148.6 end fast 49 hrs
Start fast (evening)
11/1 148.7
11/2 147.7
11/3 146.2 end fast 72 hours
11/4 146.2
Start fast (evening)
11/5 151.0 (hoping this is water weight…)
11//6 146.8
11/7 145.3
11/8 144.2
11/9 143.3 will end fast tonight at 120ish hours

Sounds great! Good Luck.

One thing, I found during a fast water was essential. I am not prone to UTIs but during my second fast, on Day 3 I had not had a lot to drink and for the next week or so felt like I was coming down with a UTI. Since I rarely go to doctors ended up treating it with supplements which worked but you really do not want to go there!

The reason I got so dehydrated is during a fast water goes right through me and then I have to find the nearest bathroom which is not always easy if you are traveling or shopping

(What The Fast?!) #235

Welp, I ended the fast.
I broke at 110 hours and 30 minutes. I was going for 120 but honestly, it’s my personal best and I don’t feel guilty. I was so frickin’ hungry. People who say fasts get easy after 3 days are nutso! (Ok maybe not nutso but I absolutely don’t have that experience!) The good news is that now a 3 day fast probably won’t seem like such a big deal. :slight_smile: I think I’m going to try a schedule of a 3 day fast from Sun - Wed night, break with dinner, then a 2 day fast til Friday night and 18-24’s on the weekend. I have a ski trip coming up and want to lose a few more lbs before that in case I end up gaining while I’m gone!

I had some bacon, one egg, a whole avocado and some nuts (macadamia and pecan). I’ll eat dinner tonight and then probably fast until Saturday afternoon or evening. Tonight will probably be a big Cobb salad with lots of veggies.

Try to drink more water after your massage. A massage can be very detoxing, you’ve got to help those toxins out of you.

(What The Fast?!) #237

Woo hoo!!! Why am I woo-hoo-ing? Let me tell you:

Generally when I fast, I don’t have the boundless energy everyone talks about. I usually feel a bit sluggish and have brain fog. This week I did that 110 hr fast and felt pretty “meh” and definitely hungry the whole time. I ate on Thursday (lunch and dinner) and then today, I felt great! I wasn’t hungry all day long and I did a circuit training class around 22 hours fasted and felt amazing! I was SO strong in class today! I went to the movies after and just had hot tea. (PS Popcorn smells amazing, for the record.)

I maaaaybe possibly ended the night with a half glass of wine, but aside from that, no issues. I’m looking forward to breaking my fast tomorrow and having another amazing post fast day on Sunday!

Yay!! I wonder whether the fasting has nudged your body to a further level of fat-adaptation? It sure sounds like it.
I used to think of fat adaptation as a yes/no question, but I think it’s a spectrum and it definitely seems like you’ve tapped into something new. Congratulations, Andrea!

(What The Fast?!) #239

Definitely possible. I think each fast is different. I usually start a fast with a specific goal (72 hours, for example). I think, maybe, instead of doing that, I should start a fast and set a goal based on how I feel that first day.

For example, I was tired and hungry from day one of that 110 hrs but I just pushed through. THIS go round, I feel like I could fast forever - unfortunately, I already made dinner plans for tonight. Hopefully I feel this same way when I start my next one tomorrow. :slight_smile:

(Paula Green) #240

It is fascinating follow your journey and wonderful to see you so happy at the moment. So interesting that this is thing that is working for you.

Over the last few months you have been strict with all your “diets” and I’m sure you have been in a calorie deficit…but they have not worked for you. Now, the fasting and feasting is getting results. A lesson to us all to try lots of different things and keep an open mind as to what might work.

Keep it up and keep us posted.