Almost a year on KETO and I’m crashing and burning after eating?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

Hey friends, Lately I have been crashing almost to the point of needing to sleep occasionally after breakfast but often after my final meal of the day, at 2pm usually. I am doing 18/6 IF everyday. If I push through it usually passes, or lately I have gotten into a second 4oz. Espresso most afternoons. I quit afternoon coffee a month or so after I started KETO. Lately I feel like I can’t do without it. I am even eating a bit more, had about 20 grams of fat more than usual today. Carbs are low…I am not new at this and I am stumped. I have tried all the stuff I typically suggest to others. Advice or possible explanations?

Thanks! :cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #2

I don’t really know @David_Stilley because you are really clued up about electrolytes and all the obvious stuff.
I wouldn’t mind betting that it’s associated with your stress levels of late. Maybe a reaction to cortisol? Might be worth a dive into a rabbit hole!

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #3

I don’t think it’s related to your diet. I think it’s related to the incredible stress. Sleepiness is a known actor in my reaction to overwhelming stress, at least. Be well.

(Susan) #4

https://www.yourhormones.info/hormones/cortisol/

According to this information about cortisol, I think this can be why you gained the few pounds, having trouble staying awake, and are feeling so awful. Obviously the situation itself that is stressing you out is causing the issues, but it has raised your cortisol. I am not a scientist or medical person at all! I think that the symptoms you are having are stress and cortisol related though.

I hope that once you talk to them and it is all sorted what you are all doing, that this stress, the cortisol levels and you feeling back to your normal, healthy you will all return. Hugs and wishing you all the best.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

@CrackerJax @coffeekittie I thought about that but it’s been going on longer. I haven’t been a great sleeper in years, I generally wake up rested after 6 hours, but feel like I didn’t get enough later usually. I take zolpidem most nights to even get to sleep. I can be asleep for an hour with the TV on and completely groggy and get into bed and wake up when my head hits the pillow. But this feels like after a holiday dinner but I am not stuffing myself at all.

(Susan) #6

Ohh =( sorry I made my post about it before this new post you made. I am not sure, then if it isn’t related to that. I was hoping once the other was resolved, you would be feeling okay again.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I’m having that dark bitter brew again right now. Finally got a text, “Sorry, camping and my cell’s about dead”.

(Susan) #8

At least she finally responded, that is good. You know they are all safe now, so there’s that. I wish I could help, but just know that we really care about what is going on with you, and we really think the world of you, you are a great guy. Hugs.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #9

Ok. That’s something at least.

So sorry you’re going through this rough patch! Have you experimented with any new sweeteners lately? Some make me sleepy, which I suspect is my reaction to insulin rise. Could you have anemia or an infection anywhere (even dental)? Hope you feel better soon…stress sucks :pensive:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

So I am monitored with regular blood work because I am on immunosuppressive drugs. That’s all good, no infections. My mouth is healed and fine. Seeing the dentist often lately because of new dental implants.

I rarely eat anything with artificial sweeteners and have never noticed anything when I use erythritol or allulose occasionally in small quantities for cooking.

My iron levels are at the high end of good so not anemic. I have slightly elevated blood calcium levels even though Cronometer shows that I am only getting half the RDA. I’m not using magnesium so that’s not making me sleepy. Low on sodium always manifests as a headache / muscle cramps in my biceps and thighs and those have been fine lately.

(PSackmann) #12

@David_Stilley, could this be a result of lower body fat? I’m wondering if you need to look at your body fat percentage and re-adjust your eating to account for fewer calories being provided by body fat? Just throwing it out there as a thought.

With the dental work, were sedatives used? Not sure that would be a cause, but a handful of people in our family react funny and take much longer to clear stuff from our systems.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

@goohsmom I have been eating more the last week without any noticeable effect. Usually 1700-2000 kcals.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

@BeStill No drugs except locals, last time was two weeks ago.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #16

Thyroid levels ok?

(Steve) #17

David, I am also a year into keto, 60 years old and very much in the groove with so many non scale victories that I can’t go back to the dark side. I have an 18/6 eating window too with no snacking at all. When I used to eat carbs I would have to have a nap in the afternoon but now it’s easy to power on through with lots of energy. I love coffee and have limited myself to just one strong one in the morning to get me going and one espresso 2-3 hours after my first meal which pulls me through easily to dinner. I have found that after my first meal if I ‘get busy’ with my cottage chores, painting, building, gardening, lawn maintenance … etc it really helps with the crash and burn. The get busy after eating not only keeps me going, energized and motivated but also gets stuff done. If I don’t feel like working, we go boating, fishing or goof off. I also weight lift/exercise 4-5 days a week now that I am in awesome Banting preservation mode which gives me a bunch more energy. So in short I would say, get motivated to get busy after your first feed and force yourself to exercise, get your energy levels up. It has worked well for me.

The afternoon espresso is a reward bonus. My problem is I don’t sleep anymore, I run on 5-6 hours since going to the LCHF diet

(Trish) #18

Is it possible you’ve developed sleep apnea? Especially since you’re already having sleep issues and need meds for that?

(mole person) #19

I’ve been noticing you are participating in a thread on fiber flours. Maybe try eliminating those, especially if you’ve had any uptick or change in your usage? My expectation, based on the science that I’ve seen now, is that they are in no way neutral with respect to insulin.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@Jamboribs Thanks Steve, that’s a solid suggestion. I too only get 5-6 hours of sleep most nights. Since I wake up like I said when I have fallen asleep watching TV and move to the bed and immediately am awake again your get busy suggestion might be the key. I often am watching TV while eating or reading after meals. I will give this strategy a go! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Shallimar I am told by a friend who’s with me sometimes that I don’t snore anymore since loosing weight except a little on rare occasion like when my sinuses are irritated I think. I usually sleep pretty soundly once I get there.

@Ilana_Rose I was on that fiber thread to offer a cautionary viewpoint. I don’t use stuff that’s grain derived as I believe it deteriorates our digestive health even when we don’t feel we are getting a bad reaction from it, Holy Grail indeed…Full of wheat gluten, seed meal and processed wheat starch and bran! Total lectin overdose. No half way KETO for me. Thanks for that heads up!

:cowboy_hat_face: