All Animal August---Triple A

90 resting when carbed up, around 100 the first few days of adaptation, now it’s 75 resting. Mind you, I’m not very fit!

The healthy HR range is 60-100, so I wouldn’t stress to much if you got 69 BPM

(Karen) #103

My resting heartbeat was 45 for 4 days last week and has gradually kept up to 52 today. It always fluctuates between 45 and 58 but is generally between 47 - 54.

I don’t think it is anything to do with my food and not even sure inow that ts anything to do with stress cos that’s what I used to think but I was at work last week at 45bpm.resting.

Generally speaking it is the recovery rate after excersing that shows fitness levels. I am very fit and so mine obviously drops very quickly. Just looked and its dropped to 51 today.
20210807_190735 20210807_190751

Thats interesting. So if its not to do with stress, and not to do with food…

I guess its increased, becouse thats what it takes to get me enough oxygen. So since this is resting-bpm, its not about recovery from activity.

Did i loose alot of red bloodcells?, Or do i need more oxygen than before on this diet? (Something going on in the muscles perhaps).

Hehe im clearly no scientist.

(Doug) #105

One week into the month, 100+ posts. :slightly_smiling_face:

You´ve been busy, Doug !

(Doug) #107

:smile: I meant this thread. :sunglasses: I’ve never made it through an entire month truly being carnivore - would like to try it sometime…

I think you have to come to «that point». Or if you are just interested, 30 days is not so long in a lifetime.

(Karen) #109

Fairly good sleep last night although I dreamed crazy dreams! Stair runs done and a great pairs workout with my daughter at CrossFit. Right up my street, cardio and gymnastics.

Home for brunch , sauted chicken and chorizo sausage with cheese.

Later had some ham more cheese then dinner of sirloin steak and lamb chops and more cheese and chorizo :blush:
Felt I ate quite a bit today.

(Daisy) #110

My average resting heart rate is between 64-68. Don’t know what that means :joy:

Today was a busy day. Got up, took 4 rabbits to the market, sold them for way cheaper than I wanted to, bought an ADORABLE baby pot bellied pig, came home, tended to the pig, scarfed down a tenderloin filet. Got ready for a wedding. Drove an hour to the wedding with the family. Wedding started over an hour late. No food at the wedding and just a strange wedding in general. Got an offer to do a Texas Roadhouse shop, so we ate that for dinner. I tested out on vacation whether I can tolerate 2 mild non-carnivore foods (for sides) and I tolerated them quite well actually. So to make things less complicated on the very rare times I eat out, I decided I would order those 2 items. So today was not strict carnivore. Then I was still very hungry after coming home. I tried my best to ignore it, but finally had a protein shake.
image image image image

150g pork terrine, 100g chicken liver pate, 100g pickled octopus in vinegar, 200g roast beef, 200g roast pork, 100g camembert, 3 big chunks pork crackling.

The terrine was all bits of pork and organs pressed together in lard and gelatin.

I had chocolate cravings while at the market (see below). But the lard, camembert, butter in the pate, and the pork crackling had enough fat to stave them off.

Last night at the wedding it was bar food. I only had roast duck that came out on crispbread. Big stack of crispbreads leftover. Booze was being forced on to me, so I took the offered glasses and just sipped some sparkling mineral water. When asked, I said it was gin and tonic. When we got home I ate a leftover, baked beef rib and drunk some salty beef stock. Breakfast was 5 soft boiled eggs after a morning walk in the rain and a black coffee with cream. The eggs alone, did not seem to be enough. hence cravings later on.

My heart rate is usually around 60. (just to jump in on that). If it goes slower I start to get extra beats.

(Karen) #112

How do you do the camembert crackling? Do you just spread it over the pork skin before roasting. It sounds really nice. Only trouble is I am not so keen on prok but ever now and again I give it another try. Havent had roast pork joint in a long time so maybe it is just the cut of pork I have tried recently, like belly, that I don’t like.

My daughter had pulled pork for her wedding evening buffet and everyone was raving about it … :money_mouth_face::nauseated_face: after a couple of bites. However i am always willing to try as I know my taste keeps changing on carnivore.

@Shatz, I also am not a Dr. and don’t play one on this thread LOL but I do think your numbers are in a good range. Even tho it went up some, it isn’t a bad thing in going into some crazy high mode ya know. From the internet on a carnivore site: Elevated heartrate can be experienced on a ketogenic diet. The body handles electrolytes (and therefore water) differently depending on carb intake, so if you make a big change in carb intake, the body has to learn how to compensate.----------- so your body is changing and some things can be measured in those changes that are happening right now. So for basic ‘care on this’ be sure you are keeping electrolytes up and be sure you are drinking good water in your day. Water and salt are super important to many on this plan as we change right from the start. But this can be a very normal experience for many new ketogenic plan followers like Keto Plan or extreme low carb planners or carnivore people.

@OldDoug
WE CHAT ALOT don’t we :slight_smile: :slight_smile: We just have the best group of carnivores chatting our little hearts out and I have to say, I so enjoy the thread cause the people are great…so yea, we gonna be racking up the post counts :wink: Hey do you think we can win some sort of prize HA

@Ketodaisy
Yes. I am like you. There are certain foods I can eat and do well and ‘get away with it’ for a rare few times but as you know, you watch yourself doing that :slight_smile: But I hear ya on doing that when situations sometimes are a PIA to the ultimate and you just ‘make a meal work’ anyway you can.

A strange wedding…hmmm LOL Maybe cause of the covid issues out there they whittled it down to a ‘get together’ more than a full blown reception or something? Well it sounds like ya had a good time anyway!!

OMG I SO THOUHGHT I was gonna read: came home, tended to the pig and scarfed him down after processing him! That is what a carnivore mind thinks, but my mind say, that is a pet pig, what in the heck is she doing eating him? :scream_cat: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: OK—I see your little piggie safe and sound in that picture wearing a pink harness, too cute.

Nice food list FB and some great food meal pics on the board!

--------------today is simple
eating some sautee’d chicken later and pair up with my leftover shrimp I need to finish.

Got me a few ribeyes defrosting for tomorrow.

I got me a monster package of chicken breasts I am gonna just cook in bulk. I got some burgers cooked and ready to eat when I want them too.

I feel ‘I have even simplified’ my food cooking down so much more, I just love it. It just suits me so well!

Feeling very fine on zero carb. Got my energy, got my usual good overall wellness feeling and just cruising along on plan and loving and living it!

ZC rules!

Join us join us join us :raised_hands:

I had the same thoughts about @Ketodaisy’s pig, @Fangs

I’ve been making ghee this weekend. My steak has been a little too lean of late, so I’ve been compensating for fat from other sources. I can definitely tell when my meals are too lean - I feel really irritable and overly hungry (that’s when I slide into 3 meals instead of 2).

@Septimius, yes I am so like you. I can get away with 1 leaner meat day for sure and push sometimes into 2 but after that, omg I can feel when my body says get in some fatty meat and NOW! And like you I hit ravenous hunger fast if I hold lean too long so that is something I definitely can feel straight thru my body!

Is making ghee a normal thing for you? I just use butter and haven’t bothered making ghee but so many do love it…is there an advantage with separating the milk solids out and just having the clarified oil left?
just wondering, I kinda learned up about ghee but never bothered with going further into why people use it or prefer it more?

For me, the best benefit is the higher smoke point - I can get the pan/ghee super hot, and sear the steak for a very short amount of time which leaves the inside mostly blue/rare. When I attempted the same with butter, the kitchen was unbearably smoky.

I also had a very strange low-level pain in my fingers. It’s nothing major, certainly not enough to comment on or complain about, and I type a LOT so I figured it was just a side-effect of my job. Eliminating dairy coincided with the pain disappearing. Could be coincidence, could be related.

So yeah, those two benefits mean I keep making ghee. It’s super easy to make - and I tend to listen to a keto/carnivore podcast whilst I do, so win win.

oh very very interesting…low level pain from the milk solids of dairy and you find it more healing to make the ghee and rely on that…OK I get that.

I dabbled so small in ghee when I started but never learned much about ghee ya know since I did so well on my butter.

Smoke…hmm, now that is interesting cause I can smoke up the world in a nano-flash cause I fry high and hard so maybe ghee but be the better way for me to go…in that while I do ok on small dairy and butter etc in my life, I don’t think in any way that ‘dumping the milk solids’ would ever be a bad thing.

I know it is kinda simple to make but do you find if you melt your butter, do you like ‘use less butter’ sticks in a way, like does this somehow make using butter more economical in that maybe you use less ghee for your cooking vs. more regular ol’ butter in a pan? just curious on it cause if I can melt down 4 sticks of butter and GO longer on it in my mind that would be a good thing.

It’s a good question - I think I probably use a similar amount, but I am a bit heavy handed at times.

The other major benefit to it is that it’s shelf stable, so you can store it in the cupboard - which is great if you have low fridge space.

It also extends the life of the butter - it’ll say 3 months best-before on purchase, but if you turn it into ghee, it can last 1-2 years unopened, and then 3-4 months after opening.

ohhh great info to me S!

OK so I am gonna do it. I know how long a 4 stick butter pack lasts me and it is NOT long :wink: so I am gonna melt down 4 sticks and just see how long this ghee lasts me and IF I like it vs. my usual ol’ butter in my pan.

I appreciate the chat…you gave me something I now what to try cause before ghee was always mentioned but I never bothered to delve more into it…now I got me a little carni experiment! :100:

I wrote the first half of my comment yestersay but didn’t send it.

Fasting may be okay but eating low-cal is unacceptable for my body. It gets super hungry when it gets a tiny meal. It’s better just not eating anything but on carnivore, it doesn’t like that either. And it’s fine as long as I eat properly every day and don’t mess it up sometimes… EF could balance out big messes but well, they aren’t healthy, mentally or physically… So I should learn to behave. Sigh. It works well right now… I wonder when I will go crazy and mess it up again…

What, you wrote about OMAD before this, they are connected, maybe? I don’t get it. For OMAD, you need to eat bigger meals so no forcing is needed. But maybe you can’t or you still get hungry. It’s fine, not everyone can do OMAD on their actual woe and it’s not necessarily the problem of the woe :slight_smile: I am fine with 1 or 2 or 4 meals (one proper with some extras, that’s convenient) as long as I get the right amount of food and nice satiation all day.
I still can’t eat 1500-1600 kcal for my first meal every day (I have this magical minimum number if my food choices are usual)… So, I don’t do OMAD every day. But sometimes I do now, yay.

24 hours sounds easy enough now that I can do OMAD and never feel I totally must eat soon but not eating every day…?

My mind can’t compute that. Seriously. <80g fat is low-fat to me and very rare.
BUT I am still super curious what would happen if I had such a super low-fat meal. Just a meal. But with much protein and everything. How many minutes would I last before I would get very hungry?
I just need to get some lean protein I am willing to eat. Even I have a few.
Even that sounds better than the egg fast I was managed to endure for 9 whole (and quite unpleasant) hours… I imagine I would feel good just hungry? But I never tried super high protein, maybe that helps? CAN I eat even high protein without much fat? Probably not.

I am very curious now and make plans!

Are there some guidelines for the fattiness or calories?
Oh, pork thigh is lean meat according to the data I use, maybe I could even pull off a PSMF day with it and even leaner items! Or not. I always eat much fat, no matter what items I choose, I just feel this strong urge at some point… But with keeping myself back, who knows?

I definitely make plans.

I ate eggs and goose soup and pork today. It seems I regenerated, I love my pork again. Cold and fatty, it was very, very nice.

My body still is fine with my 1500 kcal days… And it’s easy for me to eat nowadays. I have very low appetite and almost no hunger but my food is mildly enjoyable and it’s perfect right now. I still have signs informing me when I can eat, when I need eat… It works well now but I really will need a higher-cal day eventually… At least I think I need them. I always had those. I never went below 1800 kcal/day in average I think but maybe it happened in my stricter carni trials… But even then, just barely. 1500 kcal is a small miracle for one day let alone as a daily average for a week!
But we will see. And I know my tracking isn’t reliable at all… But I probably eat even less as I track my meat and don’t eat a bunch of fat it loses - but who knows if my chuck is fattier than the database one? Even if the water doesn’t interfere… I don’t eat very much pork now but it still may matter? Maybe not enough.

[…]
A day passed. In the end, I got hungry late and ate a decent late dinner. Okay, I have my stronger day, it’s reassuring :smiley:

The next day I got hungry early, no wonder considering I ate much and late at the previous day and my body has this weird logic… But maybe the fact that Alvaro made a big pork stew on open fire early had some role too… So we ate early, around 11:30. I really don’t care about rules when I feel hungry and want to eat :smiley: I had stew with sponge cakes (it seems more whites suit it better… as I had a single whiter in the BIG bunch I made. 24 sponge cake muffins!) and lots of cream as I opened a bag that will expire soon and tried to whip it. Carefully. No matter, it still became partially butter. I really want a proper machine for whipping already. Eggs are fine, they take forever even with a strong machine but cream is quick - that’s why I checked it in every 5 second and used a slower setting but I just can’t see it so well in this thing :frowning: And smooth whipped cream and a bit butter-y not smooth whipped cream are totally different. Oh well, we will eat it, Alvaro helps.

I run out of coffee and I am determined to try to live without it for a while.

I was so pleased with me but Alvaro who see all my mostly useless struggles (at least from the fat-losing angle) in the last several years, thinks it’s a problem I don’t sacrifice short-term joys for long-term results. Well of course I don’t, I am a hedonist, I don’t do that. And if I am specifically HUNGRY, of course I eat. What else? My old rule number one. And I hardly had more rules… Very strong suggestions, maybe :smiley:
I tried to explain him I had to eat after 10 yesterday as I got hungry AND I ate at a deficit since a week so eating more was pretty much needed, expected, useful etc. This time it was my conscious smart decision to eat, it wasn’t just a whim.
He NEVER eats late or more than 3 meals (2 when determined and wants to lose). Never. If it means several hours of suffering from hunger, so be it. Goals need sacrifices. We are quite different there. If I feel zero need but temptation at 2:45am, right before bed, I don’t even try to resist (well it’s obvious I have zero chance)… I am so thankful it’s not a normal occurence in my life especially not on carnivore… And I actually go to bed earlier nowadays…
Hunger is way stronger and an actual good reason to eat.

I have a headache today and it ruins my mood as it refuses to go away, it just gets stronger. Sigh.

Me neither! Still the first 2 weeks of November is my longest. But it’s summer. And I know I can get away with this and that… Makes me not very motivated to be very strict. But my well-defined “carnivore-ish”, I should do that for a whole month. But it’s summer now. The usual huge wasps came and now I collect and can Williams pears. I actually got bored of it and Alvaro is on holiday so he will cut them up. That’s a mildly dangerous task.

But even if it’s a partial month, I do my best to behave from now on.

@Ketodaisy: Awww, KetoKoala will be jealous! She loves pigs, me too but she is really really into them! Alvaro saw a dozen or more wild pigs a few days ago, multiple sows with lil piglets! Not striped anymore but still small. Well I love wild pigs especially piglets especially striped ones… They are plentiful here but I am not a morning person to see them :frowning:
Congrats for the pig!
And I totally didn’t misread things, I may live mostly on pork and eggs but I can consider pigs a lovely pet whose life is protected! Pigs are intelligent, playful, nice folks, good for pets.

I made ghee once and used it for a longer motorbike tour due to it doesn’t spoil easily.
But I dislike ghee as it is pretty much tasteless compared to butter. But it’s great for people who are much more sensitive than me. Butter is fine to me. Once I drank 1 liter milk in a few hours and it was fine too… And I like the taste of the non-fat part of butter. (But whipped cream partially turned into butter still isn’t so good for some reason… Sigh.)
I read from so many people they actually like ghee taste wise too.
Ghee loses the water content of butter so yeah, less should be used if butter is used for the fat… Normal butter is about 20% water.

That’s what I am curious about, could I reach that point? Because if my meals are too lean, I feel an irresistible urge to eat fat and I do that. It’s like I have something built in me, to balance out lean eating, it’s quite automatic though nowadays, after my experiences, I usually add something fatty to my leaner stuff as I know it’s unavoidable eventually…
I will fight this to try out what happens. But I can’t imagine to get satiated without my fat so I suppose I will be hungry and miserable and stop the too lean day.

How do you think around carnivore and fasting? I gave up IM, since I felt it more important to eat, even if hunger is coming early morning or late night. So i think the daily fast is kinda out the window.
I think I will plan for a 24-72h fast, maybe every two weeks, becouse I still want all the good benefits and healing, ref. Dr. Fung.

What is your experience and thoughts around it?

Its on my mind since ive had two days of lethargy now, I feel it when i walk, aching legs that will hardly move. I have lots of ketones around 4.0 measured in blood, but maybe im not to good at using them. Could a fast speed that up?