All Animal August---Triple A

(Bob M) #82

I don’t have the Ninja. Though that might not be a bad option.

I often cook 1-2 racks in the oven, usually 2 racks. I have a sheet pan, cover that with aluminum foil, put a wire rack on the sheet rack, put the bacon on the wire rack, put 2 similar pans in the oven.

That’s for a family of 4 though.

And I will save the fat, but only if it’s “good” pork (local or from Fire in a Bottle). Otherwise, I toss it.

(Karen) #83

How many carnivores are not picky? The less messing around with food with spices, sauces and whatnot the more you want it decent cos you can tell straight away if its crap!

How is it that uour meat, fish and seafood prices vary so much. Ours stay pretty much the same unless I get them reduced in The Company Shop like today. Sirloin steaks £1.50 each so I got 6 ! I had left the house when going to CrossFit telling myself I wasn’t buying anything else till I had used up some stuff in the freezer … hmmmm I obviously don’t listen to myself along with everyone else hahaha.

(Karen) #84

Stair runs done quickly this morning though I wasn’t even sure I wanted to get out of bed ! I always take a look at the CF wod before getting up and perhaps I should stop doing that lol :laughing:

So I did ho to the CF Class and it was a good one albeit hard as per usual… came home via the Company Shop … only went in for some bacon and of course came out loaded up with lots of goodies.

Brunch was butter sauted chicken and chorizo sausage with melted cheddar. Love it when the cheese sticks to the bottom of the pan and gets all crispy/chewy.

Dinner was a sirloin steak 1.5 lamb chops and 4 rashers of bacon. Followed by 140g cheddar slices. Naughty but nice!

(Ashley) #85

What is psmf?

What does it exactly mean? PSMF is basically starving to me (too low-cal), I know that is super low-cal with enough protein. What is lean day?
Such patterns are quite odd to me as my body doesn’t allow anything like that. It always wants its decent amount of fatty food, very nearly no matter what. My days can be quite different but not that different. But that’s me.

I just tracked my last few days… Impossible, my notes are a mess - they are okay if I still remember my food but afterwards… But I made educated guesses and my pork makes it very vague anyway.
I tracked Wednesday twice. HOW I ended up with 950 kcal for the first time I don’t know (I ate once, simple and I have notes!) but the second time it was 1250. Still odd, this small meal for lunch and no hunger later? But it happens sometimes. It was an eggy day.
Yesterday I had a cute lunch and some bites (geese and pork) 6-7 hours later. Odd pattern but well, I have odd times now. Cold pork chuck is perfect for some late bites. I ate more but still low for a day after a very very low-cal day… I wasn’t active, again but I normally eat much on inactive days.

Today will be TMAD, it’s quite certain. Unless I get some strange hunger at night, one can never knows and it becomes 3MAD. But that’s unlikely.

Things are good now. Expect we have much rain and my activity dropped. The rain is needed and fine and the weather is cool but I should exercise more. For many reasons but if I manage to eat not much, it’s such a waste not to exercise more as well :smiley: In my life, calorie deficit longer term needs efforts (not much, it’s more like some attitude and good decisions) on both parts, I imagine. Food is way more important and I slowly lost fat while being unusually inactive before but that was back then… I started to take fat-loss seriously now, after many years stalling and some gaining here and there especially this big mystery stress gain. I always knew why I don’t lose, I just couldn’t change it.

But I will worry if I keep eating this tiny. I probably won’t. IDK what my body does, it usually counts well even if I am clueless and harass me for food. It’s nice to have a break from that but I like balance.

But I mostly appreciate the convenience and the very very complete satiation basically all day. Despite not doing proper carnivore. It’s summer.[spoiler] 5 different fruits today - I can make it higher… well if we consider a tiny taste, it’s 2 more. I found it insane that Alvaro put xylitol into the cherry/sour cherry jam but this one is truly sour. I don’t know why, both the ingredients were quite sweet though our sour cherries are a bit sour too and things can happen. apricots aren’t sour but canned apricot is very much - though it’s an exceptional day. It’s normally just 2-3, August is very weak in fruits in the first weeks. Then comes Williams pear but I hardly can eat it, waaaaay too sugary. The green ones are better but not juicy. I love juicy.
Fruits seem to cause zero problems so I probably keep them (just for summer when I can’t help it anyway). I don’t think my diminishing desire towards them (I never really want them but if they are there, it’s fun to have more variety) will stop so I better enjoy eating them while I can… But I get choosier. Oh well, it’s fine. I will always enjoy my fruits as I get the bigger part of the joy from other things, not actually eating them and I am still very much in love with tomatoes though I should find a less sweet and more sour kind. I love sour. I love sweet but only for my fruits and certain desserts and tomato isn’t my fruit, I don’t use it like a fruit. Maybe I will one day but only fresh ones. We mostly use puree. Alvaro eats the tasteless shop tomatoes galore but I never liked them. I eat my own tomato. We have a few today. Most of them are… Maybe 2g. Perfect for me though I may want 2 of them. They are pea sized and I LOVE tasty tomatoes… One is rarely enough.

The fruits today contains about as much sugar as the tiny cup of kefir I ate in a few seconds. MUCH better use of sugar. But well, I didn’t enjoy them very, very much. Sigh. Still no regrets :slight_smile: Some part of me feels spoiled for a while now. I never agreed that some nice bite is for short term. It’s often for days, weeks, months or a whole year for me. Very rarely longer. It’s not just physical.[/spoiler]

Okay, back to carnivore, it’s my planned lunch.

Chicken-goose soup with egg (I had some goose meat too), salmon deviled eggs (with black sesame for decoration, I am not sure I am sorry) and nice fatty pork chuck, cold :smiley:
I ate half of it… I usually stop eating while not completely satiated but I don’t want any food. But no hunger and it last for long enough (2-6 hours? fine) so it’s all good. And no one every should worry I eat too little, that’s not my style. My body or mind or both will interfere. But I am a paranoid type too, I definitely wouldn’t let 3 low-cal days. My metabolism seem to be very stable (except if I overeat and it quickens up) but I almost never starved before and I am a human… I don’t want to risk it. And it would quicken up, it’s not a big deal (theoretically. I am paranoid. it’s like protein. low protein for more than one day? nope, nope. I know it’s not THAT bad but nope! except for fasting days. and I don’t do longer fasts. not even if my body would allow that). But if I trigger my body’s “give me A LOT of food for days or else I will throw the biggest temper tantrum ever” (use of 's was intentional from my part, it should be “of” normally as far as I know but I think it’s better this way now)… That won’t be pretty. I did that once on carnivore, after a few undereating days. Not fun. My body comes out of its confusion, counts calories for the previous few days (how it does it, no idea… or maybe it checks something about current energy and reserves? it doesn’t seem so) and executes its revenge and rescue plan or whatever. I am no privy to its own little thinking or instincts. I just suffer the consequences, negotiate, try to soften the blow, squeeze my rebellious inner self into a cupboard, tightly bound if I have the mind for it, I rarely have… (No, I probably negotiate with it, I like the democratic anarchy in my personal life, inner life included though that’s a tad less democratic. my hedonist self is the ruler but it’s a nice ruler and it respects its health-conscious and more knowledgeable advisors.) And whatever I deem important in that situation. But I mostly just eat a ton and pray I will feel alive again. That’s one situation where my habits are important. They keep me on the right path or mostly.

I got carried away, right? But it’s so interesting to me… And knowing ourselves is important. And fun. It’s almost always about some kind of enjoyment. That’s why (or vice versa) my ruling inner self is the hedonist. It’s the best for that role anyway. Would be if it would be a perfect hedonist… So my goal is to be a true, as complete as possible hedonist. And all will be well that I can control. A true hedonist have a great lifestyle. My direction is pretty good now but there is room for improvement even without changing my circumstances but I should work on that too.

And some pork chuck photo, I think I haven’t uploaded it yet… I so couldn’t eat it all and it was only 340g… I really plan to avoid roasts for a while now.

Today was a bit wild but the food amount stayed normal and I feel fine. The boring chicken makes some good not-pizza-but-good-enough-for-me crust, I mixed it with a boiled egg. Maybe it got a bit too dense, hard to handle? I will experiment. I am fine without a not-pizza but I made some for Alv too (but with bread dough. it’s still not pizza, that’s some higher level stuff I can’t do) and thought it’s better to have some myself. It saved the day, I didn’t want to finish the pork or the deviled eggs but I could ate that thing. I used tuna on it.
It wasn’t a fully carnivore almost-pizza for reasons but I will work on it because it’s a fun dish and there are options. The topping was always tuna this far as I always hated meat on my pizza except the less “agressive” stuff like some fish or maybe ham. And on carnivore… My options seems to be limited. But I probably simply never was too motivated. I have simpler dishes. But it’s fun now and then. I only make something like this when I do a similar one for Alvaro (same or almost same topping, quite different crust. he doesn’t like my crusts, I don’t like his crust. we have very different ideas about its egginess, it’s the same with bread… He can handle much but not eggy crusts while it’s obvious for me that the crust must be based on eggs, what else?)

So I was okay with my food today but I still lost interest in all my food pretty soon. That’s why it’s good I have so many courses almost always. I ate 2 bowls of soup, it was nice.
I was quite low on eggs now but I ate a bit more meat. Pork, chicken, goose, tuna, tiny salmon (around 2g as I ate a single piece of deviled egg…). It’s good to have variety when I am like this.

My food amount was very good. Not too little, not too much. But I still expect a stronger day soon.

Alvaro is on holiday, I expect earlier lunchtimes for me (as that happens when he is at home for various reasons, he surely will have them. It’s nor fully convenient for him to have breakfast at 6am and lunch at 3pm but it can’t be helped on workdays. Noon is nicer for him but I am almost never hungry around that time. Still, I get hungry earlier than normal for me. Maybe not now? We will see.

I don’t want to put more photos here but I saw a kingfisher again and I shot it! Not good photos, it was little light there and the bird wasn’t there for long but YAY! I hoped for this but only a bit… It’s so, so special! Today I cycled and walked, it’s good but my weightlifting just can’t happen normally this week. Not like I have a vaguely good track record but this week was horrible. And I run only once a bit this week. Okay, it was usually too hot or rainy so I am not displeased with that.

Protein Sparing Modified Fast. Almost fasting but with enough protein, basically… No matter how insane it sounds, one day I should try it. For 1-2 hours at least. I wonder what happens if I just eat a bunch of protein. I expect huge hunger, I rather fast normally, I can’t get too hungry then under normal circumstances.
But many people are fine with it. Each to their own, I always say.
I can’t even figure out how to make a quite protein rich day, I mean, much protein, not much fat. I can eat 200+ g protein just fine, it’s just my fat goes up too… I don’t even know how I ate twice as much protein as fat in the past and I had such days. Once my ratio was 3:1 but I had more carbs then (my old keto so not very much but still).
One day I will grab my fav lean proteins…

(Ashley) #87

Low calorie or fasting is fine as long as you have refeed days. Your body likes fasting. I just don’t know the psmf protocols.

(Linda ) #88

My body doesn’t like fasting since I’ve gone carnivore… on keto I could eat one meal a day easily…not any more I eat min 2 meals and often a snack sized third one.
I dont think there is a one size fits all in what works we are all different we all have different stomach microbiome… based on the foods we like dislike and our hormone levels age etc…

I prob could force my self back to restricting calories like I did before but I dont want to go that route I couldn’t keep it off or I’d not be up 9 lbs I don’t cheat no desire to and have no cravings…I’ve been there and I’m tired of starving and then getting the weight off and regaining it…
I have put on now 9lbs yup I dropped 2 and some how gained 3…
But I’m still wearing the same clothes maybe my body just didn’t like being at 134 …idk… Ill keep monitoring it I do not like it but if I stress over it I’ll prob gain more hopefully it will stop and come back off…

Same. I didn’t really fast much, but I could go 24+ hours easily. On carnviore, I definitely know when I’m hungry - and like you, it’s usually 2 meals a day, occasionally 3.

I’ve been trying to do the maths in my head on protein sparing modified fasting, or at least ketocarnivore which seems to work when the meat and fat ratio is manipulated toward higher fat. PSMF on one side KC on the other. Carbs are intrinsic and very low, usually in dairy.

So I need about 200g of protein per day on PSMF and about 100g on KC, with the ‘moderate protein’ guideline. 200g of protein is about 800g of beef :cut_of_meat: which is about 3200kcal. I have to work pretty hard to get to that. Keto carnivore has about half those protein calories = 400g of beef at about 1600 kcal then eat fat to satiety at 9kcal/g. I find comfortable carnivore CC falls in the middle. A 400g beef dose packeted in a steak per day, 3 large eggs, some bacon, butter and cheeses with occasional cream or double cream. 100g = 1g protein /kg lean body weight (sport active weight when in one’s 20s). I go for double = 2g/kg as I’m starting to get older.
Yep, my lean weight is 220lb. Best I’ve done is 240lb and I’m quite happy there with clothes fit. I’m probably at about 260 at the moment having gone as high as 280 last year. I haven’t weighed in for a few months. My biggest size when I was prediabetic for a few years was about 340lb before I went keto in December 2014. My ancestors roamed Northern Europe eating all the mammoth. I’m 1.96m tall which is about 6ft 5in. I feel strong on carnivore, ready to sack Rome.

On the keto-carnivore I find it more of a challenge to lose body fat due to the dietary fat intake fuelling ketosis. It’s very comfortable eating but one long maintenance plateau. On higher protein and no added dietary fat, it is very satisfying and switches off hunger, I lose body fat but I get psychological cravings, usually for sweet foods.

Last night was OMAD 2 left over baked beef ribs, 2 roasted chicken breasts, 100g of Brie with water. 2 cups of coffee before noon. Today is 2MAD. I’ll eat a big breakfast because we’re going to my wife’s workmate’s wedding this afternoon in the SAD carblands.

(Daisy) #91

It looks like some others have answered already, but yes, it’s a protein sparing modified fast. Basically you hit your goal of protein (1 gram per ideal body weight) while keeping fats and carbs at a minimum (goal of 30 grams of fat and next to no carbs). The premise behind it is rapid fat loss while sparing your muscles. Also known as a pure protein day :grinning:

(Daisy) #92

It’s eating very high protein with very little carbs and fat so that you’re highly satiated on protein but can obtain rapid weight loss. The idea is to do 1-3 of these a week to break a stall. Lean days are eating leaner cuts of meat to satiety, while not completely avoiding fat, but also not adding any fat. Your calories are a good bit higher than on a psmf day.

(Daisy) #93

I often exceed 200 grams of protein on my lean days. Protein is the easiest macro for me to hit! I try to keep it under 150 on psmf days (goal is 130). I’ve literally only done 2 days of psmf ever (Monday on accident and today on purpose), but I’m really liking it and if it can help me finally reach my goals, I’m totally down for it!! I was a little under my goal for today because I had originally planned for an evening protein shake that I ended up not having.

Here were today’s meals and macros
Egg white omelette with chicken breast and adobo seasoning and psmf bread. Then bison soup.
image image image

(Ashley) #94

Thank you for this information, I’m going to read up on it!

(Daisy) #95

Check out Craig and Maria emerich. She gives a ton of great information and recipes!

(Linda ) #96

How do you keep it off? You have to keep eating that way for ever?

(Vic) #97

Got hold of some swordfish from a local fisherman.

(Daisy) #98

No, the idea is to get to your goal weight, keep it there for a little while, then reverse diet to get your body to accept that weight. Or something scientific like that :joy:

@Ketodaisy

plus the thinking is ‘it becomes more of normal and not controlled by the person’ part of our lives the longer he hold the carnivore plan.

See I walked into what you are ‘doing’ just by having time on carnivore…one day my body wanted lighter food. It wanted less fat in my day. It wanted chicken and shrimp and not some heavy ribeye steak.

So our bodies WILL direct us but of course, one can ‘plan a bit’ for a few leaner eating days and then we also must must must have some good fatty days to balance it all out to keep our hunger at bay, to keep us in good form and never make the body feel threatened ya know and then we actually hit a ‘very natural way of life’ which is the way life is intended to be :slight_smile:

so all, think ancient times. Food…catch or not LOL eat or not eat that day? feast or famine which is did we eat or not have anything at all? or limited food intake vs. a big kill hunt day?

So remember guys…nothing wrong with adopting some ‘lean protein, lower kcal days’ in carnivore but always make sure you never push them too far or your appetite can come raging back, you can actually unbalance your healing of hormones and more if we push too much so what KetoDaisy is doing is a good balance for her…she is doing I think 2-3 days? of leaner meat and then having refeeds of good ol’ fatty meats to balance and it is working well for her which it does for most carnivores if we don’t go too lean all the time.

remember also guys…carnivore while great can become a tad unbalanced from our own minds, in that those of us who friggin’ love meat to the level of eating it only every single meal and are fine doing just that :slight_smile: we can also ‘eat what we love too much’ and rely on big fatty meal days a tad too much and never truly realize we ‘do have tons of food options’ that were not available in old times ya know…so sometimes we can rely on ribeyes, lbs of bacon, add in that ol’ cheese and more…we got great food available 24/7 to us…so key is LISTEN TO your body…longer on plan there is that day we say, omg I want chicken only…and we think WTH? or I just want only some eggs and bacon and small burger today, which is a light eating day ya know vs. a few lbs of steak meat with good heavy fat content.

So think ‘very easily and not too dramatic’ how you want your meal choices to be as you progress on carnivore. You body WILL tell you I need to eat big today or I truly feel I can eat way less today, just eat leaner meats and do fine. But alot of that body feeling of knowing what we require is with time on this plan as we ‘feel ourselves out’ on it all.

Newer people should not ‘control too much’ in that one must be healed more internally, hormones more balanced, time on plan to reset the mind for this lifestyle, eating more fatty to keep hunger controlled etc and if one keeps on plan, things WILL start to truly change up and your appetite and thought on your meat choices start to definitely change. But that is time on plan.

So newer you are, don’t ‘monkey or tweak’ too much…longer on plan we change and can do a ‘bit of experimenting on us’ in small form and as one can see with KD she is carefully doing ‘her thing’ and it is working well for her.

ok just some chat on that :slight_smile:

----------------today is some burgers I cooked yesterday when wanted
got me 2 pork chops I defrosted and have to eat

then it is tomorrow finish up last of my pork country ribs that was bulk cooked and thinking of pairing that up with some chicken breasts. but tomorrow will remain to be seen :slight_smile:

So I am one being 4 yrs carnivore and wanna lose the last damn 15 vanity lbs from my body can easily do a ‘controlled’ lower kcals and ‘healthily’ do that cause that is what protein sparing does…it 'feeds the body meat on low kcals which means, while low kcals we are still not attacking our muscle mass. We feed the body meat protein for your muscle mass to not be effected by ‘low kcal intake’ so that is a good thing…but see for me, I don’t care enough about those last lbs LOL I lost my 50something lbs and feel great but darn those last lbs to get into my ‘thinner jeans’ I got in the closet would be nice but hey being older I am more about living a great healthier life on carnivore than those last darn lbs I would like gone for vanity reasons now. For me personally I am ever SO slowly dropping lbs…a lb. or 2 a month, some months only, some months I lose nothing LOL so that last 15 for me might take 2 years to come off HAHA but that is ok cause I am not leaving plan and will eventually get there I believe :slight_smile:

But we also are very very individual people. Our lives are not ever the same. We are in varied locations, varied health issues, and a TON more so as much as we are a connected firm and true carnivore group…we must address us personally on this plan just as KD is doing now. I do this, one might have to do that, we all have a million things in common on carnivore for sure!! but at some point we all split truly on this lifestyle in that we all have certain requirements in our daily carnivore day that must be met for only us.

Strong movement forward and listen to YOU and learn a ton more about YOU on this plan, you can’t go wrong doing just that ever on carnivore!

Nothing like local fresh!

I am glad you are scoring great fresh food Vic and hoping your project is getting easier for you!!

How long are you still traveling? When do you get to go home?

Im using one of those garmin watches that monitors «everything», it crunshes the data to give me a daily «body battery» to tell me where im at, balancing rest vs energy-spending.
It also calculates a stress-level, and i think one of the perimeters of this is resting-pulse (bpm).

Since my first carnivore day, my resting-pulse is up from 58 to 69, and has stayed up there now for a week. Garmin thinks im very stressed becouse of this.

Is this a thing? Anyone have this experience?

EDIT: I have since learned that garmin uses heartrate-variability to calculate stress.

(I will ofcourse see where im at in 30 days anyway)