All Animal August---Triple A

Friday the 13th was a work day. Had a vaccine on Thursday. Also had a 2 hour walk with the dog on Thursday as the sun came out. Felt tired on Friday. Coffee didn’t help. It was a triple shot. Ate 3 baked chicken wings and had more coffee at noon. Functional but low energy feeling. Had leftover cold baked beef ribs at 6pm.

Caught up with my diabetic mum. She cooks me the ribs once a week and says she can’t understand why I eat such fatty meat as it will give me a heart attack. One night the ribs are warm out of the oven. The next they are cold leftovers. Mum never progressed past the early 1980s food pyramid low fat high carb food advice. 40 years later and staying on that plan she is overweight, diabetic and has rheumatoid arthritis. She rattles like a maraca with her medication including statins for cholesterol. I tell her if she saw a better doctor, she could probably be taken off most of her medications. She doesn’t believe it and pushes apple sweetened sauerkraut and vegetables toward me.

Could only eat 2 of the 3 ribs. Changed it up a bit by swapping out the Brie cheese (200g) with duck liver pâté (100g). I load cut beef on a fork and smear a blob of pâté on it. Yummy. If I am at home I eat meat off the bone using hands and teeth, no cutlery. It is a better jaw muscle work out.

Drove 3 hours home to the countryside after 2 weeks in the city. Listened to two Diet Doctor podcasts back-to-back about protein in the diet. It was important to listen to them together as one talked about limiting protein in middle age to increase life span in grasshoppers and mice. Whereas the other talked about humans and the importance of having good muscle mass and a strong skeleton to recover well from convalescent periods such as hospitalisation, which is a behavioural and situational event that doesn’t pertain to grasshoppers and mice.

I have a hankering for bacon and eggs this Saturday morning.

@FrankoBear
I hate when I am forced to use a knife or fork LOL
at home I am all animal with fingers and teeth to rip and I love it actually.
My mother in law has all those issues and is fading more with medical issues constantly from the diabetes wreckage on her body. Kidney issues now, circulatory issues in legs, I tell ya, the diabetes destroying silently inside your body isn’t seen all that much but when you ‘push over into that limit’ of what your body can take, it ain’t pretty when your insides rot away and it hits home. Sad truly but my MIL is also ‘set into firm’ beliefs about food and thing is, she has the ‘better Dr’ that says eat no bread, protein heavy, stop the candy and limit fruit etc. but she won’t listen…I think not alot of much older people jump on board menu changes. I think they say internally they are done with change and can become very resistant, cause MIL did nothing her good Dr said to do :slight_smile:

@Karen18
ahhh don’t be working too darn hard over the weekend! :wink:

------------------yesterday food changed on me

about 3/4 lb pork tenderloin
1/2 lb. cheeseburger patty, meat was 85/15.
few jumbo shrimp in some melted butter

didn’t eat that Tbone and HAVE to eat it today but ya know what…I am almost not wanting steak anymore right now. Going thru a change again. Going off steaks of all kinds, NY strip, ribeyes etc are not calling my name at all. Maybe the one type of steak I have been wanting I will make a priority to go buy, just plain ol’ filet mignon.

Will hound down the Tbone today cause I would never lose it, or might offer to my daughter if she wants it later, and I might just eat a bunch of chicken or something.

It is so strange I just been avoiding steaks more now, interest has gone down and am finding my pork fetish still very high :wink:

It is cool. I flip meats and that is just me…been doing this long enough to know to go with the flow, buy and eat what suits me at all times and not give it another thought!!

i’ve found that going carnivore has almost completely altered my bodily skin condition (for the better) and i no longer have to use certain products that i had to before in order to maintain balance that carbs were affecting me with. so i’m looking to revamp my entire routine and was wondering what types of hygienic products (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, etc.) you long-term carnivores use these days. also how often is it appropriate to “clean” the respective areas (like do you still brush your teeth twice per day, shower daily or every other day, etc.)

(Daisy) #225

This was the path I took as well. I use tallow and lard based soaps and I shower two to three times a week. I use eggs to wash my hair. I use homemade tallow balm on my face and skin as needed. I brush my teeth with a fluoride free charcoal based toothpaste. I was using coconut oil to brush my teeth for a while, but then I stopped. I switched my deodorant to more natural, aluminum free deodorants. I have really revamped my entire skin/beauty care routine in the last year. Everything is as animal based and natural as I can make it.

@Septimius
yes I looked into everything carnivore ‘from head to toe’ in my life but honestly it was ‘like too much work for me’ in that I also did like you, I dumped alot of anti-wrinkle creams for older gals like me, I dumped my ‘specialty face washes’ cause I no longer required them at all…I glow now ON MY own HAHA but truly I got improvements I loved also and could dump alot of ‘crap’ I buy for health and beauty dept.

I do use my regular ol’ cheap shampoo and conditioner cause I color my hair blond and yes I find some certain products to do best on it thru the years so I stay on it. I use regular ol’ cheap ‘girly smelling’ body wash I love and ain’t giving up.

I brush teeth 2 or 3 times per day as I feel I need and I sometimes do more, cause to me personally, I love a ‘minty fresh mouth’ or ‘cinnamon tasting mouth’ LOL but I did the organic toothpaste and baking soda and all that jazz and found I paid more and didn’t get what I personally wanted, the 2 things I listed above :wink:

Shower is daily in sweaty issues, I have a pool so for summer I can skip a shower day cause I swim all the darn time I can and I feel I can do it but 2 days no shower is my personal limit…I push 3 and my hair is wonky and my ‘everything’ needs a fresh up ya know :sunny:

I tried to change ‘all carnivore’ type organic all natural stuff in my life but in the bitter end of it, I dropped alot of purchases I do not require for ‘face beauty crap for gals’ but kept most of my ‘love the smell’ and cheap products I think work best for me.

So yea, it is where are ya at, what do you want, how do you feel changing it ALL up or is it ok to change this one item and keep the others and just fall into a personal groove that fits you and suits you and you are super cool with :100:

I know when I 'tried way too hard to make my whole life carnivore and ‘natural ingredients’ and all that I failed at a few attempts and also paid alot higher prices for those ‘organic great non-carnivore’ but better for us junk out on the market.

Now I just do me and am truly in my good ol’ routine that works for me and my wallet but carnivore lifestyle allowed me to change alot in my skin care and more like you said :slight_smile: beauty of the lifestyle!~ We heal up issues and thrive better so where you spend or not spend you bucks, where you opt for trying carnivore products in your life is just what works for you or you are cool with etc.

In life I follow one rule…and it works so well for me truly cause I AM this type of person, LESS IS MORE so I kinda just get my feel in life thru my personality and quirks and let’er rip and not think about stuff again on changes that I am being told I might need…I see an anti-wrinkle cream on tv and think I gotta buy that and then I think…OK almost 60 yrs old, rode hard and put up wet my whole life, I am a sun worshipper and outdoor swimmer, kayak’er, hiker and more and I EAT up the sun so my issues aren’t gonna be always corrected by carnivore and I don’t care LOL I do what works and nice thing is…I swear my gray hair roots are coming in ‘darker’ now vs. more gray and I love that and I think I stopped ‘aging more in wrinkles’ but that might be wishful thinking in the mirror for me HAHA

but yea do what ya feel is right for you :slight_smile:

(Linda ) #227

Yesterday was a better eating day as far as hunger went I had the other rib eye steak for dinner and some protein sparing bread.

So after Fangs advice on processed meat I threw all my bacon in the freezer and off I went to the store since my freezer was getting low on supplies… I bought three packs of strip steak, a box with 4 packets of 1lb ground beef lean, and a family pack of pork steaks. (5 or 6)

Todays first Meal was a pork steak…2nd meal will be fish…

yes I believe if we ‘cut the civilization of man’s man-made products’ in our carnivore life we see changes…not a doubt in my mind :slight_smile: took me years to ‘drop stuff’ like sausages or my bacon reliability eating or my ‘must have cheese hunks’ to a meal and more but when one lets loose of ‘anything man-made’ we eat fresh meat, on our terms and think also seafood/fish and fowl cause it is ALL MEAT and not touched by processing…most people feel and see new changes that come to them doing just that and it might take a bit to ‘feel it all’ but believe me it comes :slight_smile:

but not for one moment think…I can’t have bacon or sausage or some hot dogs WHEN THE HECK YOU need them :slight_smile: We can LOL never think we are not allowed some meal ‘ever to help us thru a hump or lumpy eating time’ cause we can :slight_smile: Never put that pressure on you ever cause that is not carnivore, eat eat what we need, what we must have to stay on this lifestyle and suits us personally so if ‘we vow to go all fresh meat’ and you have a darn hankering for some darn hot dogs ya love a few weeks later, eat the darn things :wink: because it takes time to flip and change and narrow our eating down to the most basic best nutrition for us on carnivore and it is OK to dump back to ‘I require a damn lb. of bacon today just because I friggin’ want it’ when we decide to ‘watch our processed foods’ against our fresh meat meals!!!

balance and no limits but if we let the fresh meats/ fresh seafood/ fresh fish and fowl do its thing then we change more but never say never on carnivore in a small way ya know!

So think of carnivore life as what works best in what situation? Will be diff for all but do I hound down a lb. of bacon OR do I hound down a 1/2 lb. of hamburger meat patties…what truly is the best option but IF the best option is the darn bacon then have at it :slight_smile: but time on plan WILL change us as we make these decisions on what we need truly as our bodies tell us.

yea wonky a bit but never think anything animal is off limits but always remember a walk into fresh meat will mostly, at some times…always beat the processed stuff til the day it doesn’t and WE WANT a lb. of bacon and do it and enjoy it :100:

remember being longer on plan I walked thru all this and was all about ‘what to eat’ for optimum but in the end, we have to just let time on this plan truly change us…and it will for each of us truly!! But the faith is in the time on plan and holding the plan and we become truly a ‘whole new person’ we never thought would happen :slight_smile: and it is a great thing actually.

ok just some chat again as it goes down for alot of us and work in progress and a bit of the how to move forward etc. chat :sunny: and what works for us on our timeline on this lifestyle.

So chatting with a fellow NEWER carnivore on another site who is doing so well on her plan and I get this:

My mom made me this steak sauce it’s sugar free
She takes stevia BBQ sauce and adds smuckers sugar free preserves for peach apricot orange marmalade then some brown sugar truvia and minced garlic ? I think I could be wrong

Well I ate double the amount of steak I usually eat because I had the steak sauce last night

I’m very happy with that sauce!

---------------------OK YA’LL can figure out exactly what my reply was HA HA

just a chat and seeing how it works for or against all those ‘who tiptoe into carnivore’ and don’t have a ‘real hard’ clue on it’ :slight_smile: Time, research and how important change is to your life and commitment and more comes into play for sure to all…just a UGH moment where some are on plan and get it or they don’t get it but geez we all hit posters like this in their timelines for change on all plans…I was one of them LOL til I learned thru body and soul and other’s 'telling; me and ramming it down my throat in posts did I ‘finally get it’ but darn it can take time for each of us :sunny:

yea I was super specific but very kind in my reply cause we all have to walk this walk :slight_smile: :alien:

Thanks Fangs, it gives me alot of thought to read your posts. I am trying to balance eating when hungry, and wanting something closer to omad, im in recovery, after being extremely low energy for a looong time. And dont want to spend all my surplus cooking and cleaning kitchen. It worked so beutifully for me with omad on keto, so im so used to the benefits of that. (Only i repeatedly ended up binging becouse, you know, carbs) I still have the freedom from craving on carnivore.

Do you consider minced meat processed, or just…minced…?

(Vic) #231

Tomorrow I’ll be home.
I’ve bee eating 3 meals a day, good for at least 3 pounds of meat or fish a day.
Guess thats going back to 2 pounds a day now that I’m inbetween projects.

I’m gonna miss african beef, its very tough and not exactly safe, but man does it taste good.

(Vic) #232

My routine hasn’t changed, a shower a day, brush my teeth ones a day and use deodorant after shower.

My skin used to break out now and then, like most carb eaters suffer. The last 3 1/2 years, when a “zit” does appear, I give it a name and remember it when it dissapears, had 2 small ones in 2021 so far. RIP Onion and Peanut.

I did try the No Poo and No Toothpaste, but its not for me.

The only thing I changed is I use VEGAN hair soap. Its not as good as liquid shampoo but the solid soap is more convenient for traveling en less plastic waiste.

(Daisy) #233

Today was a steak and eggs day. I had every intention of eating a chicken breast omelette, but when I opened the refrigerator my body said NO! So steak and 2 eggs for breakfast, steak and 3 eggs with bone broth for dinner.
image image

As maybe everyone here knows (but we have new ones so maybe not), I am not even a proper carnivore ever let alone a long term one but I doubt my personal hygiene could change anything due to woe changes, it never happened before.

I can’t even imagine how someone doesn’t shower/bath every day, I would hate to go to bed dirty and sweaty even if it’s not that serious (if I don’t leave the house or do workouts and it’s not summer, I can skip a day but it feels way more pleasant to get clean and fresh before bed. hours before bed nowadays :slight_smile: well it’s summer now so of course we shower after we come home from a walk, run or something. Alvaro feels that even more strongly, he simply can’t skip a day ever, it feels horrible to him).
We don’t use shower gel or deodorant regularly but it has nothing to do with our woe. Water is pretty effective for cleaning things, Alvaro usually wash the dishes with water only, I use more chemicals but a small bottle of dishwasher lasts for several years and I cook all the time, very greasy stuff… We try to be natural and not wasteful, we don’t want to use chemicals if it’s not a must. I don’t use them on my garden and I minimalize them in the house and even if I need some, I try to choose the better options. It helps we are simple. I don’t know the English name, the smelly stuff people use on washed clothes… We don’t do that. We wash them with some simple substance, we use a little vinegar (the water is extremely hard anyway) and that’s it, they won’t have weird smells just a clean one (ideally sunlit smell, that’s cool. but I don’t want horribly strong flower smalles on my clean clothes, who decided it was a good idea? ah, humans. even my dishwasher has pomegranate smell, it’s pretty good but I still feel weird and think of not so positive things regarding humans, animals, the planet and whatever my mind finds).

I wash my hair every 7-8 days unlike decades ago when 4-5 days were the maximum (but 5 was a strech) but I have no idea if it’s due to my dietary changes or just time passing…

Things started to get out of hand again… I redouble my efforts regarding my current, stricter ideals, hopefully it will work now. It’s supposed to be quite easy and I really make a decent sized roast tomorrow, I managed to eat the stew…

We couldn’t visit the pig farm shop as they are on holiday now. While I wasn’t looking, they started to sell fresh meat too! Yay! I really like their stuff but they only had smoked stuff (most of them are too salty for me) and fatty piglets once a year until recently. I don’t know the prices but we surely will use this option at least partially.

I still have no idea how to do a lean… meal as I can’t imagine a lean day for me. I just don’t have tempting lean items I can eat galore, I think. I may use zillion egg whites but how not to include a ton of fat…? I surely can’t do that in summer when I can’t focus hard enough.
But I will still try. After my roasted pork shoulders disappears. It won’t be long, it’s 3 pounds.
I do play with using more whites than yolks now. It’s that phase. I had “way more yolks that whites” times too, it’s good for scrambled eggs and especially sponge cakes… But my sponge cakes for stew are better with more whites as I wrote not long ago. I automatically eat close to my usual fat/protein ratio, special items are needed to change that but it’s possible. I had 2:1 protein:fat ratio once, it’s very extreme in my life but possible.

My processed meat consumption definitely dropped but I need them for variety and joy. Today I was very happy with some head cheese. Maybe I should figure out how to include skin in my meat dishes… I like the texture. It’s fun. Some cheap store-bought head cheese, not the really good stuff but it’s still very enjoyable. And I noticed it’s wonderfully satiating. I will use it as last bite for my meals when I still want something but I am not hungry anymore, seems good for that.

No doubt I will change in the future but I need my crutches now. Especially this summer when my appetite is super low and I get bored of almost any food quickly.

A pound of bacon :smiley: Once I managed 60g… But it was usually way less in the short period I tried bacon. It’s the same with all salty processed stuff. Head cheese isn’t so salty and it’s special, I can eat more from that. Dry sausage isn’t very salty either but it’s rich and fatty and I probably never wanted to depend on it too much so I trained myself and now I can’t easily go over 10g and it’s often lower. It’s just a little extra on my eggs or maybe with my leaner meat…
I am fine with this now.

I had enough of tracking so I stopped again though I probably will do it again on very simple days…

I know it’s a hot topic in the media right now, but I don’t see any reason to begin skipping showers, brushing teeth, lotion, etc. My number of products is simplified as I try to live intentionally, but the frequency has not changed.
My skin, however, is much less inflamed and way more even since being carnivore.

Long, sunny, brisk, winter beach walk with Billie. Home about 11am. No bacon!

4 tiny chicken eggs scrambled in butter topped with Jarlsberg cheese. 2 cups of black coffee. Then I went out with the chainsaw and chopped down a tree that had grown in the wrong place. So great to be outside and active in the winter sunshine.

Dinner was left over cold baked beef rib, about 80g Castello blue cheese, and three proper sized fried eggs, washed down with rain water and some extra magnesium tablets.

Woke up this following morning feeling good. But I have to find some bacon. Drive back to the city tonight.

(Daisy) #237

If your current way of eating is working for you, I see no reason for you to try to force in lean meals. I’m actively trying to lose weight after almost 2 years of carnivore and gaining weight.

(Linda ) #238

Well my pork steak didn’t last as long as the rib eye yesterday so I followed that up with 2 pieces of fish which and ended up with a third meal of fish also…

It’s been raining alot so haven’t been able to get out side and enjoy the sunshine…

I don’t force it (I can’t force anything eating wise, actually. for long. my 9-hour egg fast was quite special, that was borderline force but not totally, I can’t eat what I really don’t want to) but I am curious and like experiments. And I want to start to donate blood plasma soon and they say I should eat lean in the previous 24 hours. Simply fasting sounds simple but my body doesn’t cooperate if my carbs are very low… I don’t know if merely being fat adapted in ketosis will make my blood too fatty or not but I surely give it a try…

But I am very much aware I totally couldn’t do your psmf days and I would never want that… I just want leaner days. Even if they will be very high protein as I still need some energy… (poor protein , wasting it as not efficient energy source… but I will have fat too just low. no idea how low but I know for sure that 50-80g fat is possible for me just very hard to do as I tend to automatically eat 120-180g, the same as protein… sometimes more, of course, I can’t always resist the pull but I don’t pull out all the stops… Maybe one day, it’s another fun experiment but I rather would like a time when I am more active for that. I try but it’s too hot so I rarely go outside. I don’t like being inside all day though.)

Fortunately I don’t gain. I almost always stall with a super stable morning weight that basically never changes (not like I weigh myself often, the same number all the time gets boring). Except the stress gain. And when I manage to stick to carnivore for weeks while eating little (not too little but still, very little from my viewpoint) but that happened only once.
Fat loss became more important for a little while (not enough to overpower my short term desires but I did think about it more), now I just want to survive the last summer month, finally to do carnivore properly and not to eat late (but I got hungry. why I can’t eat well during the day? I try and I am sure I eat way more than many of you. I try to get out my not satiating items like most dairy, again… mostly, no way I totally stop eating them but I made progress in the last years, I just have more dairy-rich times too). I still mostly want energy but fat-loss would be nice as well. I am in no big hurry, I just want it to start slowly.

If it’s just about fat-loss, I simply must focus on eggs and meat (definitely not chicken), the fat content hardly matters. According to my experiences this far but as I usually eat as much fat (or a bit more) as protein, maybe I need more experiments. But they are hard to do. But I like challenges and I am curious… But in the end, I just eat whatever I want to. I need to figure out how could I want to eat less fatty things while avoid the fatty ones. We will see.

I plan to buy fish again soon. I could need the variety even if I don’t like fish that much. But it’s different, tender and very easy to eat… As I never eat much of it, I don’t know its satiation level but I suppose it’s very low. It seems even less substantial than chicken.

@FrankoBear
So sorry you are back to the city so soon…I can tell you love your little hideaway homestead and that long sunny brisk walk with Billie on the beach, priceless! Happy you are feeling so good!!

--------------SO WE are leaving tomorrow for a small fast 4 day camping trip to a nice state park lake. AND the tropical storm is rolling straight thru :frowning: Looks like 3 days of heavy Tstorms and rain but darn it, we are still gonna go. Will not bring the kayaks, no use. Won’t bring all the fishing gear, not worth it but will bring swim floats cause if it isn’t ‘that scary’ of a storm I will swim in the rain LOL We will most likely just drive around and ‘sightsee’ something and I am sure I will be dragged out to some restaurants but luckily I checked the area and there is a nice BBQ joint near the state park. But it seems like this trip will be a bust and if weather truly is as rotten as they say it is gonna be, we might just pack up and come home early but will just play this little trip by ear and see where it goes. I do have my meat ready to pack tho :slight_smile:

Bought some nice smaller country pork ribs and going to cook some of those later and I have chicken for today also. Will also cook up some bulk chicken for the camping trip to bring along, make life easy for something to grab and eat.

Food isn’t a focus, which is what I like. I like when I have the days where I just wake up and think…eh, doesn’t matter what I eat :slight_smile: I do have alot of days I wake up and want specific meats or seafood etc and when I want…oh my gosh I want and nothing else will do :wink: but today I can tell is whatever meat comes across my plate today I am cool with it.

It’s 3pm and I already had 2 smallish meals, it happens. The first was eggy but I had my roasted pork shoulders for the second.
Maybe all the lean talk, maybe my absent-minded slicing of the meat… But I find it a bit dry, way too lean… I tell myself it’s shoulders, it can’t be lean… But I feel it lean. So I added some processed fattier pork to it.
But I can’t eat much. Tiny but annoying hunger, no appetite… I just get rid of the hunger and stop. I have so many things to eat, it’s no problem.

I made cheesy fried egg whites for Alvaro… It turned out great! I waited a bit and used the upper, drier, more stable part of the whipped whites and the Italian cheeses are good too…
Aren’t they beautiful? :smiley: They usually are nothing like this!

So I would have been glad to eat more of them but almost the whole bunch is Alvaro’s nowadays, he uses the 8-10 pieces for 2 meals, convenient.
But my own food got ready soon after so I was fine.

Now I need to make my meat more interesting for me somehow… Both the pork and the chicken liver. I kinda got bored of them. It’s no problem in the case of liver as I only eat a bit of it anyway but my important staple pork… I thought I will be able to handle some roast again but this piece isn’t as great as I expected. Or I changed, who knows?
I will eat it, no doubt but I would have liked a bigger joy from it. It’s not bad but not as great as normal after days of little meat, freshly made and everything.
My eggs aren’t particularly interesting either and I don’t want dairy, I ate more than enough today. Head cheese is nice but I don’t want much of that either. Hell, I don’t even want pancakes. The heat, probably.
But I am satiated for now and have plenty of food for later.

EDIT: I used 0.1% salt on my roast this time. Close to perfection, I feel.
WHY I need this little salt for my roasts (and for my meat eaten all alone in general)? My other dishes aren’t this extreme… It doesn’t matter much, I am just curious.

It seems even summer couldn’t keep me from wanting less and less sodium… And I am a human, I may not sweat much but I still do that more now.