Alcohol

(joe churchill ) #66

Surprisingly, Natural ICE didn’t spike my blood glucose. 5.9% too. It is no craft beer, but I like it better than Ultra…

(joe churchill ) #67

The website http://getdrunknotfat.com/ is great for looking at boozy options – filter for Ethanol to get the formula they use for the “carbs per serving” column

nothing to cringe at, donna. I think you have a good strategy.

(suzanna) #69

Sparkling water makes it a spritzer !

(suzanna) #70

Moscow mules can be made sweetener free and delicious using vodka of course, grated fresh ginger and lime zest and soda water!

(Melissa Feather) #71

Ohhhh, thanks Suzanna. I’ll try it again in a few weeks. I’m super heavy into Ketosis now hoping to shed a few lb’s before my 50th birthday. As they say - 50 is the new 30! WOOHOO! :smile:

(Scott Telfer) #72

A soda in dry white wine is so refreshing and makes it last significantly longer :slight_smile:

(Mark Myers) #73

Sorry didn’t mean this to be offensive. Was trying to be supportive.

(Michelle) #74

So glad I found this thread. Very supportive. I will have to listen to the alcohol episode again too. I have given up all alcohol for January, while trying to get keto-adapted. However, I do miss wine now and again. And the pressure from my non-keto friends is overwhelming sometimes. I do plan on having wine again, but maybe just having it with dinner on the weekends. I don’t have too much weight to lose (maybe 10-15 lbs). But giving alcohol up forever is difficult to get my head around.

(Kirk Evans) #75

I was never able to just have one or two beers, so I gave up alcohol a month ago. I miss beer (a LOT), especially while watching sports, but I miss being healthy much more.

(JennyBelle ) #76

Now that’s what I’ve been told as well. I drink only tequila or clear white rum. That the yeast eats the sugar and it is than turned in to ethanol. I have been a bartender for 21 years now and the struggle is really, when reps bring you new products and they say “hey make something with this!” We serve over 50 craft beers at my work, and a full bar. I am just thankful I have found Keto:) and can slip away gracefully from all of that noise!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #77

I just figured it out tonight that I experience reactive hypoglycemia from drinking alcohol and it really fucks with my insulin resistance. So you can redirect all my mail to How Dry I Am, Oregon, from now on.

I actually feel pretty okay with this, like it’s just the next logical step. I have a feeling a lot of things will be discarded this year as my body strengthens and I no longer need them. Timing is everything.

(Candace) #78

LOL my favorite beer is Trois Pistole, followed by La Fin du Monde, after that it is Guinness and other craft beers. I cannot drink Bud, or PBR, not that there is anything wrong with them, just not the flavor profile I go for. Then again, I love a good 21 year scotch, and I have friends that find that disgusting

(Stickin' with mammoth) #79

That’s some good stuff, right there. Thank goodness I don’t drink anymore or I’d go broke livin’ on it. It’s $10 a bomber here.

(Candace) #80

I’ve found it for $4.30 a piece - and I did a happy dance, I only allow myself to get them once in a while :slight_smile:

(JennyBelle ) #81

We just finished the Great Alaskan Beer and Barley Wine Festival here in Alaska. My poor hubby had to take a few days off from Keto for this event. The restaurant we both work in does a beer pairing with a 7 coarse meal and some of the best and oldest beers I’ve ever seen. I wish our La Fin was $10.00 on my tap handles. I was very proud of him, as he only had small sips and gave the rest to his staff. working in a restaurant is hard when all you want to do is serve Keto lol.

(Candace) #82

Wow! That would be hard. Pretty impressive, being able to just ‘take a few sips’.

(Kathy L) #83

I agree! I’d like my husband to do keto -but he’d go over carb limit daily just from his beer…:cry:

(JennyBelle ) #84

They were pretty powerful beers I must admit lol.

(Julian Webber) #85

I can do three large glasses of dry Australian Red (such as a Shiraz) and stay well within the Keto range.

I check my readings daily with a blood meter, and I keep my food carbs really low (I’m basically a carnivore). I hit 1.1mmol ketones this morning, which is pretty much where I am after two to three glasses the night before.

Best…diet…ever