Alcohol

(Dennis Herrera) #41

I myself am a drinker. Not a beer drinker, but an alcohol drinker, I must say I have found this to be my “junk food” per say. I’m not a sweets person so I drink straight liquor over ice and I do it regularly. Of course ive listened to the alcohol show and to my novice understanding I’m basically pausing my ketosis, but I wonder the long term effects of ketosis if drinking daily happens. Thanks Love you all

(suzanna) #42

I’ll be interested to see responses to this too. I also enjoy drinking. I’ve cut way down but still enjoy a drink or two! Hard alcohol without mixers is my preference or dry wine. So additional carbs aren’t the issue but I do assume while my body metabolizes the poison I’ve ingested the fat burning stops. Ketosis is still happening according to pee sticks but weight isn’t dropping as expected after a month on keto. I think I’d rather give up dairy over alcohol!

(Dennis Herrera) #43

Same here but ya know.

(I like to post memes!) #44

Weekend is officially here! Our drink of choice: Tito’s and soda. At home or in our RV, I’ll use La Croix or the generic equivalent. (pictured is Aldi brand) In bars and restaurants we order Tito’s and soda with lots of lime. Be wary, sometimes they give you tonic instead. If you have been keto for at least a few weeks, tonic will taste sweet. Send it back for soda water!

In the movie theater, I bring in four airport-sized bottles of Tito’s, and we mix them with any diet fountain drink from the Coca-Cola freestyle machine. Great with Diet Coke with Lime, or Diet Dr Pepper Cherry Vanilla. So we mix one small bottle per large soda and it gives just the right buzz. We’ve tried taking one larger container (flask), but I was always heavy-handed to pour in the dark. I could hardly walk out of the theater half way into War Dogs!!! The small bottles are the perfect portion for the large movie-theater cup.

(ManMythLegend) #45

Pinot Noirs grown in cool, wet climates (the Pacific NW, for example) have been found to contain the highest concentrations of resveratrol.

(Melissa Feather) #47

Nice! After the storm we are having this weekend, next year’s harvest should help me look 20 years younger!

(Melissa Feather) #48

I found a great recipe for Moscow Mules and they are indeed fantastic! I used Swerve to make the ginger simple syrup and for the last 2 days - my stomach has been a disaster (gas, bloat, bloat, bloat). It’s so bad I can’t even eat today. I’m not sure if the Swerve caused this or the fact I ate some “Smoked Almonds” on Thursday night not realizing (like a dumb ass…) that it’s full of bad stuff. It was Thursday night after I ate the nuts that my stomach acted up so I initially thought it was the almonds. Now I’m not sure cause it’s Sunday and I’m still in bad shape. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? If so - would love to hear what you’ve learned, besides, don’t eat shitty nuts or anything else when out at a bar. :frowning:

(Mark Myers) #49

Bacon Margharita

(Tim Quinn) #50

We’re lucky that in Australia a low-carb beer (Pure Blonde) became quite popular and cropped up in most bars and pubs, spurring a bunch of imitations trying to tap in to the market.

That being said though, I’ve found not all low-carb beers are actually that low. Yes, they’re lower than regular beer, but not low enough to safely drink more than one or two.

Here’s what I’ve found so far (in Australia):

• Burleigh Brewing Co Bighead: The gold standard. 0g per bottle and it tastes great. The only downside? It’s in the craft beer category and hurts the wallet a little.
  • Pure Blonde: Safe. Less than 2g carbs per bottle so having a big night on this won’t make you fall off the wagon.
  • Pure Blonde Cider: Not Safe. I love cider and was excited to see this, but it’s got 9.9g per bottle. You’d have to stop at one, which is hard on a hot day :wink:
  • Coopers Clear: Safe. 3.5g carbs per can, so not as good as Pure Blonde but a good alternative if it’s the only thing available.
  • Magners Blonde: Safe. 2.64g carbs per bottle. I have no idea how a cider can be so low in carbs, but I’ve heard it tastes pretty bland.
  • Hahn Super Dry: Safe. 2.2g carbs per bottle. Another one safe for a big night, but I personally find it doesn’t taste that great.
  • Maxx Blonde: Not Safe. 6.6g carbs per bottle so be careful with this.

I’ll try to update this post with more beers that I find. I know of a cheap blonde beer sold at Aldi, but it’s too high in carbs for my liking.

(Guardian of the bacon) #52

I feel you on the cider. I’m a huge hard cider fan.

Brew your own if you have access to fresh juice. It’s incredibly easy to do and you can let it ferment quite dry to get rid of the sugars.

(Guardian of the bacon) #53

I think the carbs in beer comes more from the malted grains than the hops. I think the thicker heavier beers like Stouts tend to be higher carb. It’s all dependent on where the fermentation of the sugars is stopped.

(Larry Lustig) #54

Four.

They certainly have preservatives; that’s one of the chief functions of hops.

This is 100% correct.

It is not necessarily true that stouts are “heavier” beers. Guinness, to be precise, is among the lowest alcohol beers you can buy and not because it’s sweet (it isn’t) but it’s actually a pretty “thin” beer (absent the creamy head which is due to injected nitrogen). Best info I could come up with for carbs is 10 grams per 12 ounce serving, on the low end of “standard” carb beers.

There are also stouts that are extremely alcoholic and have large amounts of residual sugars and therefore much higher carbs.

(Justin Blow) #55

I keep reading that you should be way more suceptiable to alcohol while on keto. However, I’ve drank 4 times in the last 13 weeks and each time it sure seems the alcohol is not affecting me in the least (drowsiness at the most?) I can’t seem to find anyone else online with this issue or even understand how that would be possible but if anyone has had a similar experience I’d love to hear it and your thoughts.
(Ftr: I was never a heavy drinker even before keto, and double the same amount that before would have made me very relaxed now does nothing.)

(Larry Lustig) #56

My experience is similar. I haven’t had a lot to drink since going keto but when I do drink the effects are certainly not greater, and strike me as less, than before going keto.

(Larry Lustig) #58

I’m not aware of any beers, even the crappy commercial ones, that add preservatives beyond hops and alcohol to their beer. A quick Google of several “you must stop drinking these beers immediately” scare sites show none that are concerned about preservatives. Rather, they’re concerned with GMO corn or HFCS used in the mash. One of them is actually freaked out about the use of isinglass!

The reason beers don’t contain preservatives is that there’s little to preserve in them (very small amounts of residual sugar) and nothing from which to protect them. So long as the bottling facility is sufficiently hygienic to avoid introducing live bacteria into the bottle there’s nothing in there to infect the beer, and very little for it to grow on. This is similar to canning in Mason jars or under vacuum. Home brew is a different matter; I’ve tasted some of those that probably should have been banned under the Geneva Convention.

The only real danger is for the beer to get "light struck’ which is why beer is bottled in dark brown glass (or better yet, in cans) and why beers that are not so bottled often produce a tell-tale “skunked” quality if not properly stored and transported (cough, Corona, cough).

Honestly, I would have expected to find something in the poorly bottled beers (Corona, Heineken, or even those Sam Smith’s that come in clear bottles) intended to avoid skunking and will continue to research. In any event they’re a small part of the market.

(Robin) #60

You guys make a good point - I thought I’d need less alcohol and if I had to estimate I’d say the effect is less if not the same. I’m not a huge drinker. I always just have two drinks. But haven’t gotten very tipsy from them since eating keto. Boo!

(Mark Myers) #61

One word of warning. I’ve found that when in ketosis, the cheaper breathalyzers can give false readings by measuring the acetone, I think it is acetone, in your breath. I have a cheap, $30 breathalyzer and it usually shows me to have at least a .03 to .04% BAC I’m not sure if a professional police unit will falsely read a wrong BAC or not. But you might want to keep that in mind. http://www.shouselaw.com/ketosis.html

(Richard Morris) #63

Try Big Head zero carb beer :slight_smile:

(Tim Quinn) #64

I can’t believe I omitted it from the list! I’ve updated the post now to include it.

(Donna Dustin) #65

I’m a wine drinker, and I recently discovered that I can satisfy the urge to drink a big glass of wine, by
pouring a small glass (3-4 oz) and watering it down. I know that many of you are cringing - but it is interesting how you can notice some of the flavors that are hidden in the full strength pour. And for a daily drink after work, this keeps my carbs down while still giving me the ritual that I crave. It also seems to break the hold that the habit has had on me - I enjoy the watery wine, but I don’t feel as addicted to it.