Alcohol

(Mark Myers) #1

I’m not sure where to post this, and I know it isn’t exactly Keto. I would ask the admins to place this where you think it is best or delete it of you don’t like it. But, I know many of you want to know what you can or can’t drink on an LCHF diet.
If you absolutely can’t drop the alcohol, it is still better than not doing Keto at all. Before I started the Keto W.O.E. (Way Of Eating), I was studying to be a craft beer judge. I still like my craft beers, and I don’t think I’ve really missed a full week without drinking at least one alcoholic drink during the week. There are alternatives and better ways of doing it if you feel you must. I’ve lost 60 lbs now so it is possible to lose weight on Keto and still enjoy some alcohol in the process. I will do a disclaimer here and say, it will go much faster for you if you leave the alcohol alone to lose weight. But, I thought I’d add a conversation on alternatives and how to make better choices with alcohol for the Keto W.O.E.

It would be worth your while listening to the Alcohol podcast as there was some great info on there.

Unfortunately, beer is one of the worst because of the carb content. Spirits are fine and the dryer of the wines are not bad at all. For me, the problem with alcohol on keto is less the carb content and more the effect it has on me in that it usually makes me want to eat and eat rubbish! Of course my control is also somewhat inhibited! What I am finding though is that my appetite for alcohol has nosedived and I have more recently actually found it makes me feel really crappy.

(Mark Myers) #3

To begin, I just had a Margarita, lime juice, preferably fresh squeezed, My replacement for Triplesec or Orange liquor is Orange extract. I only add a couple of drops, a little Himalayan salt on the rim or on the web of your thumb (which is what I do for simplicity) I would have to say salt is actually good for you if you are eating a no processed food diet as I am. (processed food has entirely too much sodium in it). A no processed food diet is going to leave you a little deficient on sodium so adding a little sodium might actually help a bit. Agave, is a natural sweetener which is what Tequila is made from. Much better than high fructose corn syrup, but not exactly Keto. Still probably 5 or more % less fructose than high fructose corn syrup, and maybe around equal to regular sugar. I’m not sure how much sugar is left after the yeast that produces the alcohol is left over. Probably little or none. The next issue is what alcohol is left for the liver to convert into sugar/glucose in the blood from the alcohol. That I don’t know. I’d like to hear someone who knows more about this than I. My guess is after a couple of these drinks, I’ll probably still be in Ketosis in the morning.

(Mark Myers) #4

I totally agree, when I’ve been overboard with beer, I feel like crap the next day. Fortunately, I am Keto adapted and within a day or two at the most, I’m back into ketosis.

Apparently there is a zero carb beer in Oz but it’s not all that according to @richard

(Mark Myers) #6

Yep, here in the U.S. we have some beers that are high in ABV or alcohol by volume that are low in carb value but aren’t all that tasty. There are also some wines that are pretty tasty. I think I want to try some of them to see what they are like. I prefer dry, which mean less sweet wines. That would be less carbs in that case. Unfortunately, the higher the ABV that is in actual Liquor is probably better for Ketosis than is beer.

Yes I have always preferred dry wines anyway.

(Mark Myers) #8

I love the reds, especially the Cabernet.

(Larry Lustig) #9

Beer is really not such a problem food for keto. It’s about the same carbohydrates by weight as cauliflower and arguably less if you’re counting total carbs. The problem is the portion size. But even still, one bottle of beer will get you 10-13 grams of carbs which is still within even the most conservative carb budget if you’re not eating substantial other carbs. And if you’re someone who stays in ketosis at 30, 40, or 50 grams of carbs you have more room to play around in.

Depends on the beer I guess. There were some monsters mentioned in the podcast but yes some lower ones too. It just seems like a lot for one bottle and who has one bottle? :wink:

(Larry Lustig) #11

Agave the sweetener (really, agave “nectar”) and tequila (as well as mezcal, tequila’s country cousin) are both made from agave but agave is not sweet. Agave nectar is not significantly better for you than HFCS, it’s about 70% sugar. But that has very little to do with agave-based spirits which are not made from the concentrated “nectar” and, in any event, are distilled and therefore leave the sugars behind during distillation.

(Larry Lustig) #12

I’ve taken to occasionally having a half pint when eating out. I find beer extremely filling and on the few occasions when I’ve dared an entire pint I haven’t been able to finish. I think 10 to 13 grams of carbs covers most beers.

I have a feeling I noticed Bud because I used to quite like it and it was crazy high. I thought - that was probably why I used to like it!

(Larry Lustig) #14

Daisy, you are a wonderful person and I love you dearly, but I’m afraid we have nothing else to discuss on the subject of beer. :wink:

Lol. I take it Bud is not a great beer? I don’t really do beer! I can have a very intelligent and informed convo on wine though. :smile:

(Larry Lustig) #16

It is the high fructose corn syrup of beers. In fact, it includes a substantial amount of corn in the mash from which it’s brewed.

Aha. So kind of the Alcopop of beers.

(Connor L) #18

I drink a couple of rum and diet dr. peppers every single night. It isn’t the BEST habit… but, it worked very well for me when I was transitioning out of S.A.D. Plus, I get realllly drunk realllly quickly. So, I don’t have to use much.

Be sure and look up what alcohol is best. I tend to think NON-carb alcohol is best. Like, pure liquors (white rum (not spiced), tequila, vodka (non-flavored)).

Here is an EXCELLENT resource: https://www.ketovangelist.com/ketosis-and-alcohol/

(Richard Morris) #19

It’s a bit weak - I like stronger beer but if you are low carb it’ll do. And it’s zero carb.

(Dave) #20

I am going to get a carton of big head tomorrow… Knock a couple off over new years :slight_smile: