Alcohol

(Mark Myers) #21

I found this comparison online. Here in the U.S. Miller 64 Low Carb is about as low as they go.
2.4 G of carbs and 64 calories. I actualy haven’t seen or tasted this beer. The most common low carb beer I see in stores is Michelobe Ultra which is 2.6 G and doesn’t have much taste to it.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14302.asp

Now, I’ve got to see how many carbs that champagne has waiting in the fridge for tonight.

(Robin) #22

Before keto I was a huge IPA drinker. Now I allow myself 1-2 on a rare occasion. It’s hard to find out the real carb counts on those, since they’re craft beers but man I miss those! I’m fairly certain that since they taste so hoppy that their carb count is quite high.

(betsy.rome) #23

So how is drinking a glass of dry red wine different than say, a glass of the grape juice or eating grapes?

(Mark Myers) #24

@betsy.rome a very dry wine, like a Cabernet is fairly low in carbs since most of the sugars have been turned into alcohol. But a sweet wine a white or a Riesling probably is much higher. Then grape juice, and grapes aren’t fermented so their sugars are 100% in tact. They are the carb value of the fruit itself. the 2KD podcast mentioned early in this thread on Alcohol is very helpful. I had heard it before, but I listened to it again yesterday I thought it was helpful.

(Melissa Feather) #25

I live in Northern California where wineries are more dense than Starbucks. I love Keto and the fact I can have a glass of wine per night and still be in the “safe zone” for staying in Ketosis just puts a big smile on my face. I usually tend to Pinot Noir because they have fewer carbs than Cab but they are still very flavorful and not as heavy in tannins. It took awhile for me to develop a taste for Pinot Noir when I converted from a Cab drinker but now it’s my go-to preference. There are so many great Pinot Noir’s out there and BevMo, Safeway or smaller specialty stores are a pretty good source for decent brands.

(Jane Reed) #26

Mark, perhaps you could transfer your course of study to craft ciders. As fermented beverages, they can be quite dry, as you know, thus inviting a slightly higher amount of consumption per day. Before I dedicated myself to nutritional ketosis, I had moved to the country and started planting apple trees with a vision of making very small amounts of cider. I suppose I could still do that but more likely I’ll be giving apples away to my friends. I don’t regret this, as I am a dyed in the wool gardener and growing trees of any sort is what I love.

(Roxanne) #27

We bought a rural property a couple of years ago that has dozens of older apple trees, and I was over the moon thinking about all the apple sauce and cider I was going to make, and the cherry and pear trees I was going to plant. And then I found keto, so now I’m looking at raspberries, asparagus and garlic. Too bad we can’t grow avocados in Canada!

(Mark Myers) #28

@Buttonwillow I actually have 4 gallons of hard cider that I made this fall. I’m not a big cider person so much. But it clarifies and gets drier over time. Just letting it sit a while right now.

(Larry Lustig) #29

I suspect that ño one has tasted this beer.

(Mark Myers) #30

@larry One our local breweries has a water cooler in their bar and they have a “Free Coors Light” label on the water cooler.

(Mark Myers) #31

Here is a funny one I want to try. I think I have to because it was one of the things WebMD said to not do! A Bacon martini! I have to over principle! It is a moral imperative!

(Guardian of the bacon) #32

In case this went over anyones head…drinking and tasting are 2 different components.

(bambiying2) #33

One drink that I’ve always really liked is a Cosmopolitan. They are off limits because Cosmo mix has a ton of sugar in it, but yesterday I made low carb cosmo mix. I took a 12 oz. bag of cranberries, threw them in 6 cups of water and brought to a boil. Once they split open and release their juice, turn off heat and let steep for 30 min. Then strain the water, and throw the cranberries away. Put the strained cranberry water in the fridge until it cools. Mix 2 oz of cranberry with 2 oz of vodka, and throw in a little sweetener. I used monk fruit extract. It was very close to a cosmo. Of course, I went overboard and had 3 of them (yes, 6 shots of vodka and I’m still alive.) I think they might need a squirt of lime juice, but I didn’t have that.

(suzanna) #34

Very resourceful! The lime will turn it into a real cosmo for sure!

(KB) #35

Had a keto Bellini to ring in 2017. Very tasty!

(Sian Wain) #36

Bighead beer in Aus has zero carb. Hubby and i quite like it. It doesn’t have that real yeasty taste. But still has normal alcohol content so wouldn’t want to have it all the time. Nice on a hot day!

To all my Canadians. This will change your life!
Molson Canadian 67 - Session IPA

Carbs 2g
Calories 67
Alc %3.0

It’s more of an Amber Ale than an IPA but i would drink this even off Keto.
Get the IPA not the regular 67.

(Jane Reed) #38

And, Mark, your address is?:joy:

(Melissa Feather) #39

I need to find Carl’s recipe for his “evening cocktail” with Apple Cider Vinegar. I’ll play with it a bit and come back with my experiences.

(Larry Lustig) #40

Because grapes and grape juice are full of sugar. In wine, much of the sugar has been consumed by yeast and converted to alcohol. Grape juice is about 15% carbohydrate (sugar) by weight. Wine is about 3% carbohydrate.

Alcohol is the by-product of the consumption of sugar by yeast.