Alcohol on Keto

(Doug) #31

Not sure, Ethan - don’t know if the body goes right back into fat burning; don’t see why not, assuming energy is then needed.

(Marie Dantoni) #32

Robert Lustig goes into detail about how alcohol is metabolized and compares it to sugar. He states that it acts more like carb than fat, because it is in effect fermented sugar.
Way too technical for me get it all, but if you’re interest it’s "Sugar, the Bitter Truth "
I always wondered why drinking made me hungry, now I think I know why…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Several versions of “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” are available on YouTube, since Dr. Lustig has given that lecture a lot. The real point of the lecture is fructose and how too much of it in the diet is as bad for the body as too much ethanol. Fructose and ethanol are both metabolized primarily in the liver and the metabolic pathway is the same for both substances. They therefore cause the same diseases in the liver and other organs, because they behave so similarly in the body, and when you talk about the effects of one, you’re pretty much talking about the effects of the other as well. The main difference is that ethanol is a short-acting poison, and fructose takes longer to have its effect.

(Marie Dantoni) #34

Spot on.

It seems like once I get kicked out of ketosis due to drinking wine it takes days to get back in.

(Marie Dantoni) #36

I am post menopausal, 5’3". I started IFing & LCing and occasionally EFing a year ago. Lost 35 lbs.
Last summer I started getting sloppy. At first it was very occasional, but soon a pattern…the old pattern of "off a diet/on a diet " started to play out. I would go for a week or so counting macros “being good” and avoiding alcohol…then slip ups…half a keto cheesecake anyone ??? There was always a cocktail or 2 involved.
Lately I have realized (duhhh) that It takes a lot more effort to get back on track than just to stay there. For me alcohol has been part of the problem. The only question is how big a part.

KCKO - Keep Calm Keto On
(Doug) #37

Well said, Marie. For me it’s both a source of carbohydrates (beer, wine, sweet liquor drinks) and a disincentive to stay on the program of keto food, a real double-whammy.

(VLC.MD) #38

Boom ! :boom:

(Marie Dantoni) #39

Yea, a really big boom !

(Andi McNamara) #40

Me, too! When I drink I want to eat everything. Even small amounts of alcohol give me terrible headaches, and sugar is the only thing to make it go away. Then several days to get back into ketosis…
But, drinking is so fun! I really miss it!

(Stacey) #41

It’s true that alcohol stimulates the appetite. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called “The Truth About Alcohol.” They did an experiment with two groups of soccer players in a pub. They gave one group alcohol-free beer and the other group had real beer. All the while, the two groups could have their fill of various snacks that were placed on the table. Interestingly, the group consuming regular beer ate about twice as much than the group drinking alcohol-free beer.

(Doug) #42

:smile: Yes, “the alcohol munchies” - definitely a thing for some people.

Here it is right before Christmas but I would like to get back into ketosis.
I don’t think of myself as over doing alcohol but it is fun at times.
I think what I need to do is put off drinking and just stick to the diet maybe one drink every couple months or so wouldn’t hurt then I need to get a strategy on how to get back into ketosis I’m .3 to .4.
Any help?
There is another issue here too
There were times I would go a good amount of time (week or two)
without having a glass of wine but I was intermittent fasting Another forum dedicated to women on ketogenic diet and with hormonal issues said that my body is not ready for intermittent fasting
Could anyone comment on that??

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

Everyone who stops eating in the evening and doesn’t eat again until breakfast or later is fasting intermittently—that is why they call it “break-fast,” after all!

(Bunny) #45

I drink Gin or Vodka and I use extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup or cup) mixed with 1Tbls. of Lemon Juice to chase it as a buffer between alcohol and liver! Can drink all night long doing that and not mess with my ketobolic metabolism! LoL

I also take Milk Thistle (Silymarin) because it puts a thick coating of some kind of substance around the liver to protect it from environmental toxins and prevents a fatty liver like choline or foods rich in methionine.

See also:

Methionine- and choline-deficient diet induces hepatic changes characteristic of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21537547/

(Marie Dantoni) #46

A little off topic, but in an effort to stay off the nightly brandy train, I scavenged around my kitchen and came up with this:
Smear ( technical term) a tall glass with a drop of organic orange oil
Drop some ice in it
Add 2 tbls of heavy cream
A pinch each cinnamon & cardamom
A splash of diet ginger ale
Top off w/ club soda.

(Michael ) #47

I don’t know about ketosis, but it doesn’t play very well with intermittent fasting. Alcohol spikes insulin and causes your blood sugar to drop and your body to go into fat storage mode. hence, ingest copious amounts of alcohol, crave large amounts of sugar and other crap. It’s not conducive to my health and fitness goals, but if people can do it in moderation, enjoy your Christmas buzz and cheer. I personally aim to keep my insulin levels as low as possible throughout the day for maximum weight loss and to keep hunger down.

I’ve quit alcohol altogether, so I’m not the right person to talk to about alcohol in moderation while on keto. In fact, today was day 500 of sobriety. In all events, beer is a big time carb offender, followed by wine in a distant second. My understanding is that liquor itself is not inherently high in carbs but that you have to burn off the alcohol first before you go into fat burning mode.

(Joshua) #49

I have the same issue being a IPA lover and now i’m starting to focus on Bourbons or an old fashion no cherrie.

(Ingrid ) #50

My ake on this is that if you are not trying to lose weight then he wine won’t make much difference but it will throw you out o ketosis. I am about 7 weeks in and still drink my wine on a daily basis.