Alcohol, diet pop

(Marianne) #1

So, I’m going out for cocktails on Saturday - first time since I started keto (week ago). Normally I am a wine drinker but I see that vodka and whiskey have no carbs. I have heard that diet pop is frowned on - should I stay away from it, or is it okay to have a whiskey and diet coke, or vodka/diet coke? I guess I could choke down a couple of martinis, if I have to. :laughing:

(Cary) #2

You can have whiskey and Diet Coke. It’s my drink of choice when I go drinking. Artificial sweetener in Diet Coke can spike insulin levels but I wouldn’t be too worried about it.

I’ve read about diet drinks not being good for a person.
I personally don’t like the chemicals added but will spoil myself on occasion. Couldn’t bloody care less. As long as it’s not sugar and it’s not carbs and it’s a rare occasion, it’s A-ok in my books.

My husband drinks bourbon. Yes, it’s ok.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #4

Soda :grin:

(Alex) #5

i don’t think a vodka and diet coke would kill ya! the artificial sweetener could potentially trigger a craving, though, unless that’s something you’re not worried about. my go-to drink, when i do partake, is a whiskey and water, with a slice of lemon squeezed in! quite tasty imo, and sugarless. i’d imagine the same would taste alright if you wanted to substitute the whiskey out for whatever other type of hard liquor you prefer. carbonated water works well too if you prefer a fizz, just make sure to ask for soda, and avoid tonic, which is loaded with sugar. i’d also recommend making sure you eat enough before heading into the night, as to hopefully avoid getting hungry after drinks. have fun :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

tonic :smile:

(Door Girl) #7

Also be aware that the alcohol may hit you a whole lot harder on keto. I had a martini one night. Two sips hit me harder than a full 5oz martini used to hit me.

(Justin ) #8

Pop

Seriously! I had a couple glasses of wine not long ago and I was practically under the table and had a headache like an ice pick to the brain a couple hours later.

(John) #10

whiskey and black cherry zevia

Also, often it’s not the booze but the lowering of inhibitions the booze causes. I binged plenty of times after three or four drinks.
Carnivory really helped in this regard.
Plus, it’s hard to drink too many neat drinks so maybe order a nice scotch/bourbon.

(Cary) #12

I can vouch for this! I’ve always had a real high tolerance for alcohol…not so much anymore since losing 65 # on keto. Still can handle my own but it hits me alot faster now.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #13

Vodka / Soda water with lime is my go to.

Please keep in mind your liver will stop producing ketones to process the alcohol and this kicks you out of ketosis.

(Carl Keller) #14

While soda and/or alcohol won’t help weight loss goals, I don’t see a problem with an occasional indulgence.

(Bunny) #15

Resistance is futile! Keto Popsicle?

LOW-CARB, KETO POPSICLES RECIPE

(Marianne) #16

I looked up whiskey and vodka to see if they were less carbs than wine and they both have zero carbs. Will this still have an effect on my ketosis?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #17

Yes, your body deals with alcohol first.

I searched Alcohol and Ketosis for you. There’s a bunch of stuff here:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=alcohol%20and%20ketosis

(Marianne) #18

Thank you!

(Chris Benz) #19

Another option is vodka and soda with a wedge of lemon or lime - or just vodka and soda. I find the bubbles are what I’m looking for and the diet soda is a bit sweet now for my taste. Plus it spikes cravings for me… then I have to go thru w/drawl again…

(Marianne) #20

Well, I wound up going out and just having water. I am very protective about what I put into my system now, without being fanatical. It’s just important to me. Keto has been so good for me, and I want to repay my good fortune by continuing to be good to my body.

I have had nothing while on keto (almost 3 weeks), except plain water and coffee. Is sparkling water okay to drink?