Alcohol, diet pop

(Robert C) #21

It sounds like you made a good decision!

Jumping up to hard liquor to avoid the carbs in wine could be a disaster.
Easy to overdo and you might not know how much is in a drink.
As well, to make it palatable, adding artificial sweeteners is not helping.

In the future, if this comes up again, it might be better to stick with a small amount of wine and take the carb hit (just count it like any other carbs - still would be easy to stay under 20 grams).

Sparkling water usually has at least three downsides:

1. They sometimes contain zero calorie artificial flavors (chemicals)
  2. They are expensive - you’re really just buying water - Zerowater or some other high-end water filter system will be a much better investment in the long run - I use Zerowater and immediately store the clean water (along with a little pink salt to restore the natural mineral content) in a stainless steel container
  3. Plastic bottles might leach chemicals into the water - especially if stored for a long duration and under varying temperatures

(Scott) #22

In Wyoming for a batchelor party. I had six cocktails and six beers yesterday with no
Ill effects. KCKO

(Marianne) #23

This is just plain water, but sparkling. No flavor or sweetness. I had it at my sister’s. Have no idea what it costs, but I guess if it isn’t a detriment in any way, I might have some now and again as a deviation from plain water.

(Marianne) #24

Sounds like you had a good time! :laughing:

(Robert C) #25

If just filtered water put through something like SodaSteam - probably great - especially if it helps break the boredom of plain water. I see that as a real positive compared to using 0 calorie artificial sweeteners to try to accomplish the same thing.

Still, if something is stored in plastic - potentially for a very long time - may be better to avoid.

(Jennibc) #26

I gained 1.1 pounds last week that took an entire week to take off because I had a moscow mule made with diet ginger beer. Not worth it. Learn to love your spirits with sparkling water and and a sqeeze of either lemon or lime. I like a bourbon soda with lemon wedge or a gin rickey (gin and club soda with a squeeze of lime) It’s possible to change your tastes.

(Jennibc) #27

I agree if you keep it occasional and allowing something every once is a while makes this doable long term.

(Jennibc) #28

La Croix (or the generic version -which is what I drink) comes in aluminum and has not artificial sweeteners. It’s refreshing and great with spirits.

(Christiana) #29

I choose to have a few glasses of wine or a bourbon on the rocks with my husband on the weekends or for special occasions. I started drinking about a year into my keto lifestyle. Even though the effects of alcohol can cause cravings or a desire to snack, I’m typically pretty lax about what I eat on the weekends, as long as it is keto. I suggest waiting a few months into your keto diet before you experiment too much with keto gray area foods.

(Marianne) #30

What is La Croix?

(Jennibc) #31

It’s just fancy brand of sparkling water with natural flavors like lemon, lime, orange, cranberry, etc. Zero carbs, zero artificial sweeteners.

(Robert C) #32

I do not know for sure but anything with a long shelf life is suspect.

From that page:

• A lawsuit filed in October alleges the seltzer maker’s products are not all-natural, a claim denied by the company.

(Jennibc) #33

I drink HEB brand (our local grocery store). I just use “LaCroix” the way other people say Kleenex when they mean facial tissue. You can also use Perrier or any other club soda.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

I can’t think of any reason why not. Seltzer water is just water and carbon dioxide. I drink store brand Seltzer water at $0.99/2 liters, because my inner Scotsman balks at paying extra for the minerals in brand-name sparkling water. (Nor are my taste buds capable of detecting a difference, lol!)

Club soda is another option, though I got out of the habit of drinking it back in my sugar-burning days, because it contains added salt (:scream:). I trained myself to not even see it on the shelf, so I have no idea how the cost compares to that of Seltzer.

(Marianne) #35

Met my girlfriend out for drinks last night. This time, I told myself I was going to allow myself two drinks. Been on keto two months with no issues, but have not allowed myself much deviation. Gone out before but just drank water, which wasn’t fun for me. I go out maybe once a month; not like I’m out every night.

Anyway, the bar we went to had blunts of brut champagne (!) and I had two of those. OMG, they were so delicious, I completely enjoyed every sip. Didn’t tempt me otherwise in any other way. Had a nice buzz, came home, ate a keto dinner and was right back on it. I am finding that the keto way continues to be a journey. I am picking up new things all the time, assessing what works for me and what I might tweak, how to live and lighten up a little (I am pretty all or nothing in my approach to things), and learning how I can live comfortably with this long term. Compared to my life before, keto has been wonderful and a deliverance. This forum is a godsend.

(Scott) #36

Scotch has zero carbs and they they put the water in when they make it.:laughing: