Alcohol, Adipose Tissue and Lipid Dysregulation

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

(UsedToBeT2D) #2

I hope you can give us the Cliff Notes.

(A fool and his bacon are soon parted) #3

The first sentence of the abstract reads:

Chronic alcohol consumption perturbs lipid metabolism as it increases adipose tissue lipolysis and leads to ectopic fat deposition within the liver and the development of alcoholic fatty liver disease.

I don’t believe that lipolysis (the breakdown of triglycerides into three fatty acids + glycerol) can be achieved if the insulin level is too high, since excessive serum insulin blocks the action of hormone-sensitive lipase, which is essential to lipolysis (think of a bear eating berries in preparation for hibernation: lipolysis is not desirable, when storing fat is the order of the day). All that is required for fat deposition in the liver is exceeding the capacity of the metabolic pathway that handles ethanol/fructose/branched-chain amino acids.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

My primary interest is to determine the effects of consuming ethanol on ketosis and fat metabolism generally. There is some very interesting stuff in the OP linked paper. For example:

Additionally, feeding 5 g/kg/day of alcohol along with a high fat diet (59% fat) prevented the high fat diet induced increase in eWAT mass, suggesting that dietary fat composition has the potential to modulate the alcoholic effect [25].

That trailing link (25) goes here:

(Bob M) #5

As does saturated fat consumption, which supposedly protects the liver. (As does berberine.)