Slipping up on Keto

(N A) #1

I started Keto and month ago and it was going great. Unfortunately, there was this big match and I was forced to go to a pub with friends, where I drank alchohol and had to eat some curry and rice when I got back to make sure I was not hungover.

I did not weight myself the next day, but continued on being keto the next day. Well the day after that, or two days after my slip up I weighed myself and I put on 3lbs! Urg. Can’t believe I put on that much.

This happened to anyone else? I guess I really need to go back to being really strict.

You can’t gain fat just eating carbier (but similar amounts) once…And gaining 3lbs of fat? That’s totally impossible from one meal.
So don’t worry about that. It’s probably water weight. Eventually you probably lose that, I did but it doesn’t matter anyway.

If keto is great for you, of course you should go back to it… Off days happen to most of us, it’s even very fine for me as long as I come back right away and don’t go overboard.

I don’t really believe in being forced though. I guess it may be possible for a few unfortunate persons in the world but it can’t be common (except for kids who can’t choose their own food). Yeah, I know about pressure - mostly because I’ve read about it. I experienced it only a tiny bit with my not so close family (when I was a vegetarian. carnivore is no problem with my aunt) but I ignored it 100%, never felt any problem with that. I am a stubborn one and it’s MY woe, of course I decide these things. Especially if it’s about my health or ideals.
If I eat carbs, I want to do it. Or stupid compulsions, we all have our problems…
Stick to keto, sometimes stricter is better, indeed… And things will be easier with time. And you may have a similar experience to me: some extra carbs here and there aren’t so bad, main thing the default is good enough and you don’t stray too far and/or too long. We all need our own keto style and some of us can go off without problems and others not so much.

Alcohol isn’t necessarily so bad, well it matters if it’s a shot of vodka or 5 beers, obviously… It may stop the body making ketones for a while and yep, it’s a toxin but it’s fine for most of us here and there.

Maybe you should be prepared, having some proper food all the time when needed?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Next time, try planning things out in advance. Surely you could get coffee at the pub, instead of ale (and you might be surprised at how happy the barman will be to get you coffee, rather than have yet another obnoxious drunk on his hands). Or you could order hard liquor, which has fewer carbs than ale, beer, or wine (but be careful, alcohol hits harder on keto!). The curry wasn’t such a bad idea, and you could have avoided the rice. And I’m sure the pub has at least a few other keto-friendly foods on the menu. Next time, either don’t drink, or order your meal before you start drinking, so that you can order less carbohydrate and more meat.

As far as this time goes, it’s just a minor setback, so don’t worry, keep calm, and keto on.

(Allie) #4

Accept that you made a bad decision, put it behind you, move forward.
Life happens, take responsibility for yourself and the choices you make.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Forced? Friends don’t force friends to drink.

As already mentioned, alcohol is not the only choice of beverage even in a pub. But alcohol in small amounts isn’t all that detrimental to keto, just avoid liqueurs - because they’re loaded with sugar - and limit beer to one - yes, you can nurse a single beer a very long time. Next time ask the bartender or server for peanuts so you can skip the curry and rice. Or as mentioned, plan ahead and eat before. You may find this of interest as well:

HI and only 1 month into this big eating change and you got backward…yea it happened to me a million times. Normal.

only thing I learned thru my bigger failures of losing 60 and regaining it all, losing 70 and regaining it all is one thing…you gotta want it and make it an all in lifestyle change for your health, weight, and til ya hit the grave you can’t change up the menu by ever alot on how you lose this weight and increase your health.

yea sucks rocks, I know, I went thru it all but in the end, your goal of health etc. has to keep you on the eating plan if you ever wants results you desire ya know…yea a very very long lesson for me to learn LOL

keep trying if this is what you want.
eat well, watch the social events that trigger and change the mindset to ALL about you and your goals and health…best we all can do.

we either eventually succeed well or we fail over and over til the crazy dieting keeps continuing, it is a hard road to walk for many of us, but hey, A TON OF US MADE IT and are living it :slight_smile:

(N A) #7

Thanks for the replies guys. I was out of Keto for like 4 days afterwards and super hungry! But I am back in Keto now. Those 4 days were super rough, tbh.

I guess one thing I dont know is how hard should one keep their cals down and watch how much they eat on Keto.

(Allie) #8

By not limiting calories and giving the body what it needs as fuel.

(UsedToBeT2D) #9

Avoid the pub.
You can return when your able to order unsweet tea and a cheeseburger sans bun.

(Stu Shez ) #10

I honestly wouldn’t worry.

Part of weight loss is the ups and downs - losing weight gives a bit of a buffer so if you do have a blowout, it’s not the end of the world. Get back on the wagon and crack on.

Its another 4 weeks until the season starts and there wont be any major finals for a while so there’s that too. Next time you go to the pub, drink what you like and eat what you like but know that you’ve got to pay for it for the following week.

(Susan) #11

Welcome to the forum, @N_A --and just look forward, not back! Sometimes at the beginning it takes you a little time to get into the groove, but once you are there, you will find it much easier and that this way of eating becomes part of you, very natural!

Don’t be too hard on yourself for slipping up; because that can make you fall even more --I had that in previous “diets” --once you are in Ketosis and feeling the awesomeness of Keto, you will realize that this is not a “diet” but a lifestyle change. All of the benefits that your body will experience will be amazing to you, and for me, that is always enough motivation to keep on track, even when I have stalls and I am not losing weight.

This forum is a tremendous support to all of us; and please feel free to ask any questions that you might have so that we can offer some of our own experiences and ideas to help you continue on this fabulous journey to a new you! You can do this! I was a major carbaholic and candy maniac before finding Keto, so I know how hard it is at the beginning. I wish you all the best!

(N A) #12

Guys I am so so sad. I am literally crying right now.

I went on a date tonight, and she wanted to go out drinking after we met nad I agreed. We had been drinking all night. I was just so lonely and wanted to meet someone. Shes an Australian, and said she doesnt like to drink anymore, so I thought it would be ok

One think lead to another and we just drank all night long. How does one say you dont drink on a date? It was going so well, my weight loss. It was so good, and I ruined it.

She only liked me because I had lost weight. In work, in my love life, in my friends of circle, when I lose weight, everyone treats me better, and tends to show me love. When i lean out ppl are so nice to me, even random ppl. Its weird. Its too soon I should not have gone back on dating apps. I wish I was stronger, I need to be, I hope I have learned a lot tonight, put my foot down for what I want

It seems like the only option is to just not socilaise at all unti you are where you want to me. I am so hungry now atm. I badly want to have a meal. I feel so ashamed and horrible. I feel so sad

(Laurie) #13

So sorry that happened! Sounds like you learned something though.

Just a thought: Not everyone drinks, not even on dates! It’s not compulsory. Good luck figuring it all out.

(N A) #14

You’re totally right. I just need to put my foot down for what I need.

It was going so well. It doesnt work for me unless I am strict, and let the momentum carry be forward. TBH, I think I am a weak person when it comes to other people

But I think I have learned a lot. I need to put my desires and goals above others people, like everyone does. Thanks for the reply, btw

Its just a bad setback, but I am going to get back into the swing of things. I’m gonna try to let this be a learning experience

(Susan) #15

You could always add on your dating profile that you are refraining from alcohol currently for health reasons maybe? It is true without intimidating them mentioning Keto right now. Of course, once you meet a nice person that you connect with, you could always introduce them to Keto as well, and do it together!

I think that there are many people that don’t consume alcohol for various reasons, so you could try to maybe avoid it for a while on your Keto for now too. (I am not saying that you can never have a drink again at all; but some of us have found it easier to avoid it in the early stages is all). Until you get your body used to the new way of eating, it might be something to consider.

I wish you success, and think positively. Your body is going through a lot of changes right now. Good luck!!

(N A) #16

Susan, i think you are right. This person in specific, did know I was on keto, in fact she said she had done it for 1 year straight in the past. You are right thought, I need to just stick to that. She also got super excited about parting though, claiming she hadnt gone out like we had in 8 yrs

Its just so many ppl have told me, if you want a good date, you have to drink. Let your hair down. Have fun! I wanna meet someone I can be a soulmate with. Really connect. And I dunno. maybe that is truel but for me, in this situation it isnt worht it.

I just need to get slim and from there I can right my ticket.

Thanks for replying Susaun, I dont really have anyone else who understands, so thanks for that. I will just try to be less spineless and a bit more like you are. i dont knont know why I am the way I am. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience though

(Susan) #17

Don’t be so hard on yourself, I have been doing Keto since February 2019. I find it quite easy to stay on track now, but it wasn’t at the very beginning for me either!

You do need a lot of will power and determination at the beginning but once you are fat adapted, your appetite will decrease markedly! It does that for all of us; it becomes easy to do Intermittant Fasting and even Fasting over time, so just take one step at a time.

The turtle won the race, not the hare (in the children’s fairytale) so just be patient and keto on =). We are all here to encourage and help.

Perhaps if you were to have a chat about all this with the lady that you had the date with, she might be willing to work with you on this, and even to try Keto again. If you got along well with her, there might be a potential future with her? It certainly cannot hurt to try!

(H) #18

I spend a lot of time thinking about things like this having lost a lot of weight and really spending an awful lot of time worrying excessively about gaining a few pounds… most recently I have become obsessed over gaining 6lbs.
I think once you’ve been overweight it is a focal point.
What I would say about your comment is that I bet (though I don’t know you) that people treat you better because they respond to your energy; which is better when you feel good (I.e slimmer).
There is plenty of research to suggest that weight gain after weight loss is related to a subconscious ‘need’ to self loathe.
My point is this… what she thinks of you doesn’t matter. It s what you think of you that counts. When you think you’re great then other people won’t be able to help but agree. Maybe not her, but if she really only did like you because you’d lost weight then she’s probably not for the long term anyway

(H) #19

I am new to keto still, being only in my second month. So I will let the others comment on that.
But I’m an expert (self proclaimed) on drinking and generally being a booze hound, not being able to say no and also, being an emotional eater.

on the drinking, I recently gave up after years of wanting to but never quite managing it (and I put that down to keto to be fair). It’s hard after a life time of heavy drinking (by a lot of people’s standards) and people expecting you to validate their own drinking by getting involved.

I can’t tell if you want to give up drinking or if you want to drink less because of the keto but It sounds like you have some other things to untangle around what you want versus what you think other people want from you (opt always for the former and never apologise for that).

If you are tempted to give up drinking longer term then I can tell you after years and years of trying that the answer is quite simple. Just decide not to drink and don’t question the decision. It’s the questioning it that’ll get you every time!!

(Marianne) #20

Treat yourself with kindness. I do believe that shame has a rightful place sometimes (like treating a friend or stranger with malice, hurting an animal, betraying someone, etc.), however, in this case, I think you should be more gentle with yourself. You didn’t ruin your program or your progress just because you slipped up. Sometimes it can reawaken cravings and make it more of a challenge to get back on that horse immediately, but you can do it. I would venture to say that this has happened to just about all of us, whether it be with alcohol or carbage. As far as drinking, when I go out socially, I confine my alcohol to whiskey in a tall glass of water, very diluted. I find it much easier to sip because of the shear volume of liquid it takes to consume, and I don’t have too much because of it. This works for me, even if I am out for 4-5 hours. Can’t do many of those.

Again, I think most of us can relate. When I was obese, I was invisible. No one gave me a passing glance or seemed interested in much that I had to say, no matter how pretty my face was. It was like I was just there, taking up space. Things are much different as a thin person. That’s just how most of society is. The only thing we can do to change it is to treat everyone with the same respect and regard, no matter what their size.

You may want to consider returning to three meals a day for as long as it takes for the carbage cravings to go away. Keep the carbs as low as possible and make sure you get enough fat. I was never a huge veggie fan, although I did like some things. I find it is very easy now for my diet to be basically zero carb - eggs, bacon, certain cheeses, and pork or meat. I think if you could do that for several days, you’d get rid of a lot of the cravings.

Good luck and God bless.