Advice from the Ketogenic forum for new keto'ers on 2KetoDudes

(Roberta) #62

Thanks for posting this - I am on day 7 and feeling pretty cruddy - days 1-5 I felt pretty fine!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #63

Of course. Any way I can help. :slight_smile:

(David) #64

Donā€™t be afraid to be a little bit selfish. The universe (and even people who care about you) will exert pressure to unbalance you. Until it becomes a habit, thereā€™s nothing wrong with making keto one of the first things you think of in the morning and the last thing at night (metaphorically speaking).

(Dustin Bowen) #65

Just do it. Start no matter what others tell you. It is about your health and peace of mind not theirs.

Keep it simple and keep it clean. Planning is the key. If you are going out to a restaurant, I look up the menu and have a plan before you arrive. Keep easy keto friendly foods in the freezer. Try to make the best choice possible in any situation and above all: be kind to yourself. Keep your expectations reasonable and donā€™t beat yourself up if you have a bad day/meal.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s too late for this particular subject - I love 2KD podcast but only discovered it a few weeks ago and am not caught up on all the episodes! - and also this is not at all an answer to the question, but there are some things that Iā€™m wondering as a newbie: Iā€™m normal weight with decent blood sugar regulation (maybe very very mildly insulin resistant but only relative to the awesome health thatā€™s a familiar goal to all of you, and not something that a doctor would recognize). Keto is intriguing to me for the longer-term health benefits and Iā€™d love to hear more on what the transition was like for folks who arenā€™t diabetic/pre-diabetic; whether coming in and out of keto is ever desirable; what have all of you seen re: people who donā€™t do well on keto long term (do you see this?). I like the idea of being able to use keto as a tool, maybe even as my default, but not actually be in it all the time - but I donā€™t know if this is realistic.

[Conventional wisdom about diet is a mess, of course, but I have a theory that folks who are obese and/or T2D are those who - physiologically, genetically - do particularly badly with the standard/CICO/LFHC recommendations, so that itā€™s a group thatā€™s practically selected to thrive on keto. On the other hand, those who move around relatively unscathed in the moderation/lower fat world - because there are some who do fine! - might in fact not do particularly well on a higher fat diet, or at least not thrive on it long-term in the same way. Iā€™ve been Paleo for a long time and I love fats :slight_smile: but I have seen some folks genuinely do well on higher starch/lower fat WOE so this is something I think/puzzle about a bitā€¦]

(James storie) #69

Keep it simple! And donā€™t limit your fat intake! Have fun and relax :smile:

(Jeffry Lauder) #70

Everybody said it was easy. Itā€™s not. It certainly becomes easier, but the first month or so is quite challenging as you become fat adapted. We all fall off the horse from time to timeā€¦ the real trick is to get right back on. Not tomorrow, not next week, but right away.

Find a great community. Friends, coworkers, significant others, and of course the ketogenic forums help keep you strong and on course.

If you join an online community, support commiserates with participation. So donā€™t feel bad. Ask your questions. And answer questions to the best of your ability. Weā€™re all just trying to keep calm and keto on!!

(Debra Laizure) #71

The last tip is a good one!

(Anne) #72

Amen to this. If you ask a waitress if their homemade dressing has sugar, the answer is yes. That special sauce? Yep, sugarā€¦Blackened? Sugar in the spices! EVERYTHING has sugar in it. I do not trust eating out at all. Make your own food whenever possible.

(Keto Travels) #73

Be patient, especially if you are a woman - your body will prioritize repairing itself over giving your mind the satisfaction of seeing numbers on a scale go down. I wish someone had told me that when I had a major stall a few weeks into Atkins- instead I gave up after 4 months.

Ideally lock away the scales and go by inches/ cloth size only in the Beginning.

Pay attention to non scale victories!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #74

Yes!

(Luis Zeledon) #75

For me it was really knowing the different symptoms of the keto flu. I kept thinking I was going to have a heart attack from all the chest painā€˜s I was having actually went to the doctor and he said I was fine. Lucky for me my doctor is all about Keto and said not to worry. He talked me Into continuing to Keto. I stayed on it and have been feeling like superman ever since.
[/quote]

(Ron D. Garrett) #76

Do not allow others to even have a say in your health journey since they are not the ones that will have to live with the consequences of you continue to eat the SAD diet that they and the system still recommends as ā€œhealthyā€.

Even IF keto was the bad choice that they say it is (we all know that it is not) at least YOU are making the decision and NOT someone else.

Lastly, I WISH that you @carl and @richard had been more clear that being on keto would make a person feel like they are on ā€œroidsā€ with the quick recovery and increased/unlimited energy. I recently posted about it and called out the ā€œyouā€™ll lose muscle while on ketoā€ doofuses and challenges them to look at my arms and tell me that Iā€™m losing muscle. Iā€™m in my N1 ACTUALLY am putting ON more muscle and that is at 50 years old!! :joy: :joy:

Thank you guys for all that you do!!!

Ron ā€œBig Black ā€œ Garrett

P.S. - have encouraged a lot of people locally to start or restart keto as well as some people where I work at on the military base that I work on.

Lastly, my sister and my nephews (the oldest was just diagnosed with type 2 even though he is slightly tofi)

Eggs butter bacon avocado, salt, repeat.

I would add CHEESE!

(tulsanurse1) #78

Could you speak on medications that can affect blood sugar?

(Arlene) #79

For sure!!! I inquired about the supposedly-healthy rotisserie chicken at our local store. The spice/marinade has sugar in it. I asked why they canā€™t just season it without the sugar. I just got a perplexed look from them. Heaven forbid rocking the boat!

(Tessy M.) #80

@Alli @altruistictravy this is a great thread! You got this!

(Tracy) #81

For me, Iā€™ve learned that I have to have salt in my water all the time or my legs will keep me up all night with cramps.

(cheryl) #82

Thank you for this post ā€¦ I needed to read it ā€¦ Im 57 years old and T2D, and have been losing inches and not pounds ā€¦