Advice from the Ketogenic forum for new keto'ers on 2KetoDudes

(Mike Ehl) #41

For me it was remembering my “Why?”. Sure some of that carby crap taste good but getting my health on track to see my son grow and be able to play with him is better.

(johnaustin454) #42

Measure yourself. Not just the scale. Whip out that measuring tape. This really helps when you think nothing is happening after doing keto. Bring the tape back out and notice how many inches you have lost around your waist, but the, etc…(I lost inches around my calves). Helps you stay motivated.

Also, pay close attention to how you feel. Pre-keto I felt sluggish and in a brain fog. Now is the opposite , not to mention the overall great feeling vibe.

Don’t forget that it took years to add the weight, get yourself in the metabolic issues that you have. Have patience to get yourself fixed. KCKO

(Tony Sheldon) #43

To just stick to the plan for a set amount of time. For me it was 12 weeks. Just do good strict Keto. No cheats. It got me over the hump with the cravings. I know if I would of been half assing it or sneaking extra carbs in I would of failed.

Worthy of a quote: [quote=“kimberlynwebb, post:33, topic:4116”]
Focus on the things you can have, not what you can’t.
[/quote]

Keep it Simple. The simpiler it is, the easier it will be to stick with if things get hard.
Don’t count calories
Watch your carb macros (don’t worry so much about protein or fat to start out)
Don’t start out restricting everything under the sun, just focus on eliminating carbs
If you slip up, don’t sweat it, just try to do better next time
Have your grocery shopping done and a meal plan made before you start your first week, that way you aren’t tempted by carbage at the store.
Try to let go of stress as well (meditation, yoga, therapy, massage, etc.)
Find one or two keto snacks that you LOVE and keep them handy at all times
Think about long term goals to get through Keto flu.
Ask any loved ones or friends to help support your decision, if that means eating keto with you, or not keeping carb snacks around the house etc. Don’t be afraid to ask them for help.
Finally, Be wary of ANYTHING that you didn’t make. EVERYTHING has carbs in it these days.

(Tim Oboyle) #45

Keep it simple, No processed Sugar, No Processed Carbs.
Buy lots of butter, bacon, and hot sauce

Cheating is fine, try not to. If you cheat, make it worth it, don’t waste it on a Big Mac. It will take 3-5 days compliance to Keto to get back where you were, … not to mention any intenstinal challenges getting back in compliance.

Eat lots the first week, your appetite will go down then eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re not.

Great snacks are cheese and salami, find one that doesn’t have sugar or make it yourself… lot’s of recipes on Pinterest.

If everyone’s having pizza, go for the Meat lovers… eat the cheese and meats, have a few extra pieces, leave the crust alone. You’ll get a little sugar on the redsauce but not a ton.

learn to like bullet proof coffee or tea, experiment with cinammon, vanilla, peppermint etc. you will learn to like it

full fat yogurt with a few frozen berries and a few nuts is a great ice cream substitute… or throw 3 or 4 frozen strawberries in a quisinart with half a cup of heavy whipping cream and leave on high for about a minute… it makes a great sweet soft serve.

take pictures and measurements… I wish I had 60 lbs ago, my natural avoidance of pictures of how fat I am kept me from doing that.

Experiment with new recipes

Enjoy not getting winded taking the trash out and not having to leave your shoes tied loosely so you can slip your feet in, instead of bending over to tie them…

KCKO

(shawn) #46

Don’t cheat. 100% compliance is way easier than 90%.
Save artificial sweeteners for special occasions only.
Supplement with electrolytes.
Add more salt to get through carb/keto flu.

(Nathan Hall) #47

Take it easy on the MCT oil and coconut oil. I had some close calls on the way to the bathroom thanks to over doing the coconut oil.

Be sure to share @Brenda’s keto-aid recipe. The electrolytes will save you a lot of pain.

(Jason Webb) #48

Eggs butter bacon avocado, salt, repeat.
Put the scale away.
Hang out here, and share.

(Frederick Finch) #49

Your results may vary.

Ask questions at ketogenicfourms.com or any other online resource that you feel comfortable going to.

be patient.

(eileen.zollinger) #50

I’m using Keto for migraine control. Macros confused the hell out of me initially. Staying under 20 grams of carbs and eating fat to satiety with moderate protein is enough for the first couple of weeks. If you don’t have a gallbladder (like me) ox bile salts will help you digest the fats and help you avoid ‘disaster pants’ when taken with each meal. If Keto by itself doesn’t help you get rid of you migraines, there are some foods you might need to avoid that are common triggers for us that are eaten frequently on Keto like nuts, avocado, olives, cured meats etc…

(Cheryl Meyers) #51

Also go to clothes swaps and/or recycle shops for bargains.

(michael) #52

The problem with Too much protein and not enough salt,
Info about the Keto flu and symptoms
Needing to add more fat as we don’t eat enough when starting Keto because we don’t know how much is enough.
You will get used to eating fat as most people are used to cutting the fat off their meat before going keto and they can’t stand the thought of eating it.
Anxiety and stress will hold you back.
Test and don’t assume you are in Ketosis

(RavenRed) #53

I think it’s important for someone to understand the basic concept of High Fat, Moderate Protein, Low Carb - and understanding the why is important in making informed choices. Have a working knowledge of what a low carb vs. high carb food is (never ceases to amaze me how many people on various Keto boards boast of their breakfast bananas).

Then understanding that the first week (or two) is all about assuring your body that you are not going to let it starve and if that means eating twice as much as you would on a SAD - that’s okay - because it won’t last.

Electrolytes for curbing the carb flu and Water, Water, Water!

Then echoing the others with simplicity . Don’t track everything all at once, don’t worry about calories, don’t make ALL the keto dessert/bread foods. All that has a place, but not in the first few months.

Don’t stop learning and researching and seeking out new information.

(Amy) #54

Stay away from processed “desserty” low carb treats. Personally, I abused them the way I abuse the real dessert. I didn’t know when to stop and they leave you craving MORE sweet tasting foods.

(Abraham Reyes) #55

Moar meat!

(Cathie Condon) #56

Thus^^^^^^

What are the ingredients in Kewpie mayo? What type of fat do they use? Poly vs. Mono?

(Cheryl Meyers) #58

Vegetable oil is all their site says: http://www.kewpie.co.jp/english/fun-facts/ingredients.html

Enjoy in moderation?

Here’s a google translate of the jpnz list of ingredients:

Edible vegetable fat and oil (including soybean), egg yolk, brewed vinegar (including apple), salt, seasoning (amino acid), spice, spice extract
Nutritional ingredients: About 1 tablespoonful of cup (15 g)
Energy 100 kcal
Protein 0.4 g
11.2 g of lipid
Carbohydrate 0.1 g
Salt equivalent amount 0.3 g
Information Update date: January 6, 2016

That’s good to know. Soybean oil no way.

(softail925) #60

Dont buy a bunch of special foods - you’ll find that ur appetite will decrease a lot!