Advice from the Ketogenic forum for new keto'ers on 2KetoDudes

(Vivienne Clampitt) #88

I am nearly 3 months into Keto, only just starting to lose weight as I have now added IF. I dont have a lot to lose at all, maybe 6 pounds at the most. But I spent the first couple of months learning how to eat Keto and watching my blood sugars coming down, this was my aim of turning to Keto.Personally I am fine with it taking a little while to achieve my aim as I think in the long term it will be more sustainable.
I think patience is needed with this particular WOE. For some people weight loss , reduction in blood sugars and insulin resistance will happen quickly for others more slowly.

(Amy Bachmann) #89

I agree. Once your carb addiction is behind you it’s easy. Food no longer controls you, you are in control.

(Terence Dean) #90

Research Keto to understand the science, ask questions about anything you don’t understand, and don’t give up it takes time.

(Caryl H) #91

Hi, I’m a confused newbie. What did you mean by not getting fooled by natural carbs in Keto friendly veggies and fruit? Do you mean I should NOT eat them or I should?

(Shelly G) #92

:+1:

(Caryl H) #93

Huh? measure my waste :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: or my waist :blush:?

(Ron) #94

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #95

If I understand that post correctly, I think the idea is to eat real foods (a lot of vegetables have fiber in thiem, which, if you wish, can be subtracted when counting carbohydrate intake, because it is indigestible), as opposed to manufactured foods with carbohydrate added to them (such as refined flour, or sugar under all its many different names).

Yes! :grinning: :rofl:

(Caryl H) #96

Thank you Paul :+1:

(Anina) #97
  1. Take measurements before starting, when weight stops changing measurements keeps changing.
  2. Stock up on Good Fat. After loosing your water weight stop looking at the scale for a week and just concentrate on giving your body lots of good fats, coconut oil, avacado, just Olive oil, cheese, salami - dont be afraid, I felt the FAT started my body Healing itself.

(Marc Hirsch Md) #98

I like it simple. I’m 5 months in, lost 15 lbs in 1st 2 mos, then stalled wt loss while waist went from 36 to 32”. I hear you about the scale. Bought blood ketone meter and hanging out between 0.5-5+ which is more important to me than weight, but I’d like to lose more of that too. I keep experimenting within low carb bounds under 20 Gms. Thanks for your advice.

(connie balint) #99

I have been WW for awhile and have lost 40lbs I have been stuck for awhile and my Dr suggest intermittent fasting and increasing fat and protein.I have been doing this for about two weeks and am seeing gains.This could be from my body adjusting to the change ?I always had good cholesterol readings sugar levels and good health just carry too much weight

(Amy Bachmann) #100

I’ve been listening to the 2ketodudes at least once a day for the past 10 months, they keep me motivated. Also people around me, friends and family, are intrigued with my results and want to know the details like how to start and why this works. If I’m going to “pay it forward” I need to have some good information. What a great team they are.

(Wendy) #101

First mention of migraine! Thank you. Hoping for relief of sinus issues as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #102

I find that making sure I get enough salt helps keep the migraines at bay. On those days when I have forgotten, if an aura starts, eating some salt usually heads it off within five minutes or less. Another great reason to have bone broth regularly!

(Rosemary Easter) #103

My advice would be to start slowly, eliminating so called bad foods one at a time so that you do not suffer ill-effects from changing your WOE.

However, I was just going to post on here when I saw Richard’s post because I have just been reading this by Dr. Loren Cordain which I have found disturbing.

I have been on a keto woe for over a year and at the moment am totally fine (age 64) but am concerned about this article saying low carb is harmful for your bones and muscle loss and that you should eat lots of fruit and veg (I eat one orange per week and some berries and little veg.) It also claims the Inuit had low bone density which is the first I have heard.
I respect people’s opinions on here and would like to know what others think about this article as I always thought Dr. Cordain was an ok source of info.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #104

That is vegan propaganda, since muscles are made entirely of protein. Even bones contain a surprisingly large percentage of protein (can’t remember exactly, it’s around 38% if my memory is working). Since most people’s protein intake changes very little when they switch to low-carb, I don’t see the logic in that assertion. Prof. Benjamin Bikman, who studies the hormones that control human nutrition, says that the key to maintaining muscle mass and bone density is to eat enough protein. There is no known carbohydrate deficiency disease, and in the complete absence of carbohydrate in the diet, the liver is perfectly capable of making all the glucose the body needs. Which is about a tablespoonful circulating in the blood at any given moment.

(Marianne) #105

Hi Brenda, Can you share your keto aid recipe? Is it to get more electrolytes?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #106

Yes it is to add to electrolyte supplementation.
It helps a lot of people

The scale lies. Put it away. Measure and write it down or find some clothes that fit snug and use them as your guide.
If you can afford it, get some baseline bloodwork. The only macro you need to track is carbs.
EAT! This is not a calorie restriction “diet”. It’s the way we all should be eating.
If you need convincing, read The Big Fat Surprise. (Nina Teicholz) or Fat Chance. (Robert H. Lustig)
If reading isn’t your thing, watch The Magic Pill.