Advice for 2018 newbies with a lot to lose - keep it simple

simpleketo
omad
intermittentfasting
zerocarb
gluconeogenesis

(Jenn C) #62

Two Words for you ~ THANK YOU!!! I have been literally driving myself mad trying to count and hit all my macros. Through this forum, I have had a ton of support that my overthinking mind needs. I am taking today and resetting. Tomorrow is a new day and I am now ready for the challenge because now I finally understand that the key is to stay under your carbs and eat fat until full.
I only have one more question - which I can likely find the answer to on google - I need a good keto-aide recipe :blush:
Thank you to all for your support so early on!! Have a great day all!!

(Diane) #63

Or you can use Brenda’s recipe.

(ROXANNA L DECKER) #64

I put butter on my vegtables to get more fat

(cheryl) #65

Thanks for the mention about meds, I take metformin and victoza… and I am new at this (about 7 weeks) and am progressing slowly but I feel fine and I am beginning menapause – so thank you for the words.

(back and doublin' down) #66

I do clean as I cook…but the daily grind of it for a single person can be a bit much. However, Intermittent Fasting means LESS meals, LESS cleanup! I do one major cooking night, and then either enjoy that same meal another night or vacuum seal for a night I really don’t want to cook. My other trick is to do as much as possible in my cast iron skillet…it’s well seasoned (especially now with all the fat in my cooking) and is a super quick clean up.

Other tricks?

(Auden) #67

Thank you for posting this. I came on the forums looking for encouragement today, and your words are super helpful!

(Kelly Holt) #68

“You are better off focusing on one goal first and that is losing the weight, and predominantly the fat. You can achieve this simply by eating enough protein or more than enough protein, and by keeping your carbs and fat levels low.”

This statement has this newb confused. I’ve been doing Keto for a month now, (down 10 lbs and 2" from my waist) but everything I’ve read says to maintain a 70/25/5 F/P/C ratio. Your statement seems to counter that.

(Ron) #69

@Kels
You are right in questioning that statement as it is misguided (maybe intentionally) and the poster doesn’t understand keto or has another adgenda,
You are doing a great job and on the right course. Don’t let the dogma derail your path.:ok_hand:

(Kelly Holt) #70

Thanks for the clarification and support! :slight_smile:

(Carly Lyczba) #71

I like that you said their about preaching to people- very true! I would love my folks to come along on this journey but alas it’s just me for now and all I can do is try to set the best example I can just by doing keto.

(Julia Brindle) #72

Here i was thinking fat levels with Keto needs to be high. What am I missing here

(Ron) #73

In the beginning until you are fat adapted (can take 3 weeks to 3 months) it is advised to eat to your macro’s and to have them at maintain level settings as your body has to do many things during this transition that require lots of energy.
By giving up sugar, you reduced the quantity of fructose in your diet, because the table sugar (sucrose) molecule is a glucose molecule bonded to a fructose molecule. Fructose can be metabolized only in the liver, and too much of it at one time causes all sorts of problems, so avoiding it is a Very Good Thing. But giving up sucrose, while it lowers the amount of glucose you are consuming, is not that much help if you continue to eat other forms of carbohydrate.
Grains and starches are just long strings of glucose molecules, so of course they continue to elevate your blood sugar, which is your serum glucose level. A low-carbohydrate diet will lower your blood sugar considerably—that’s the whole point. The lower blood sugar reduces insulin secretion, which lowers inflammation, promotes metabolic health, and allows excess stored fat to be metabolized.
It is true that once your body adapts to metabolizing fat as its primary fuel, there is a phenomenon in which blood sugar rises somewhat again; the technical term for this is “physiological insulin resistance.” But this is not really a good name for the phenomenon, which might better be termed “glucose sparing,” because all it means is that the muscles refuse to take in the glucose in your blood, saving it for those few organs which must have some in order to function (the body automatically makes whatever glucose is required for this purpose, regardless of whether or not you eat any carbohydrate at all). This is a very different thing from the kind of insulin resistance that causes obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, gout, high blood pressure, fatty liver disease, certain cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, dental cavities, and so on.

Hope this help.
If you have more questions just ask. There are lots of great people here willing to help.
And welcome to the forum.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Julia Brindle) #74

Thanks!

(Ron) #75

After adapted some eat lower fat for weight loss and some don’t worry about lower intake during meals and do fasting schedules to lose weight. You just have to find which path works best for you.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Sheila ) #76

But…HIIT continues to burn fat for the next 24 48 hours. Don’t waste your precious time doing regular cardio while fasted…HIIT while fasting is the BEST!

The amount of protein/fat one needs to eat is dependent upon how much lean mass and fat they currently have. There is no requirement whatsoever on keto to maintain a strict macro-nutrient ratio, as others have suggested in here. Also, there’s only ‘x’ amount of fat than can be utilized for energy from stores so exogenous fat intake needs to at least be enough to cover the rest of the body’s needs.

And yes, you are much better focusing on one goal first than multiple goals at the same time, and this is exactly why the bodybuilding community cut and bulk in cycles for the best results. Simply put, if you are trying to focus on two things at once, neither are getting 100% of your effort.

The best thing someone on keto can do is to lose the fat, get down to a more healthy body fat percentage whilst ensuring their protein intake is sufficient enough to retain as much lean mass as possible, doing light exercise such as stretching or resistance band work, before re-evaluating and adjusting their goals.

If you are carrying a huge amount of surplus fat, and you start lifting or working out, not only are you putting your body under a ridiculous amount of stress during each exercise performed, but your body also switches it’s priority to recovery, especially if lifting and muscle fibers need repairing. You also risk myofascial injury, and could even lead to spinal injuries which can be exacerbated by things like anterior pelvic tilt (APT).

Doing such exercise with a huge amount of weight is a good way to end up with very serious health issues such as a bulging disk in the vertebrae or a hernia, not to mention that most people who are overweight will not be able to fully engage their core and perform exercises correctly, as they will not be able to ensure correct firing of the abs, glutes, and will most likely have tight muscles in several areas.

You can keep your fat levels low because it’s not a goal like the other macronutrients. It’s a maximum intake. Protein is a goal because you need sufficient protein to retain muscle mass, but if you have sufficient fat stores (i.e. you’re overweight) why would you intake a high amount of exogenous fat? There is no point whatsoever.

(Kelly Holt) #78

So I’m 36 days in. 6’/275 at start. Avg 1440 cals, 67/29/5. I think I’m at 260 now, haven’t been to a reliable scale. Seems to be leveling off. Should I dial down the fat at this point? Down about 2” but having random, very light dizzy spells. Feeling ok otherwise. Feeling like I should have my doc review my general panel. Thoughts?

(Ron) #79

This is way to low. Are you using a macro calculator? Do you have it set at a lose weight setting? I am 6’ / 220 and my macro is 2200 calories daily. You need the caloric intake for the body to have enough energy to make all the changes required to run on ketone bodies instead of glucose, as well as training the body how to use those ketones efficiently.

Up your salt intake. The keto WOE causes the kidneys to expel more salt than on a SAD diet so it is recommended to get at least 5g of daily salt intake.

With all the changes going on within the body , panels tend to not be very accurate (skewed). It is typically suggested to wait 6 months to give time for the body to stabilize to this process. I would wait to test til then.

(Kelly Holt) #80

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to lose serious weight, target is 200. I’m using the Stupid Simple Keto app. I put in my stats and my weight goal and it gave me a suggested 1760 cals, but felt like I was not cutting portions enough with that, even if keeping the macros in line. I didn’t realize that about the salt. I will up that. What’s WOE and SAD?

Keto is not a calorie in calorie way of eating. You need to eat more. I know it sounds crazy and scary to change the way we have have been taught…but it works. Eat more food!

SAD standard American diet
WOE way of eating

Don’t starve yourself. It will only hinder your long term progress and goals :slight_smile: