Adequate fiber is a real problem

food

If you have good teeth, they make a great side addition to your meal.
I mix all my 6 different seeds together and then fill a small pill bottle with them.
I then just pour a small amount in my mouth and chew them very well. That way they will not oxidize as they would quite fast in a coffee grinder. I never heat them either.

I mix a whole pale-full together and freeze them in separate Ziploc bags with 2 cups of seeds in each bag.
Take a bag out of the freezer as needed. They are really great also to carry around just in case you get very hungry. Friends that I am with will ask me for a swig quite often because they are so satisfying and addicting.

(German Ketonian) #31

I think since the science is ambiguous on this topic, most of us adhere to N=1. And, for most of us, it seems to confirm that we fare better with less, rather than more fiber. No hard feelings, @semarla

(Ron) #32

In all fairness, you did present a question about fiber and when the responses were not favorable towards it as much current data suggests, you got defensive in your stance supporting fiber. You are correct in that the evidence is still a question as it pertains to the Ketogenic diet and as such could potentially validate either response in the future, and defending either stance as gospel is biased and could be perceived as “cult-ish” and not healthy for all involved.

(Carly Lyczba) #33

Looking over my days I get about 15g fibre a day, I wasn’t counting it. Everything seems to be working fine in that department :grin:

(Carly Lyczba) #34

But isn’t this coming from the same people that say we should get most of our calories from wholegrains?? I just go by how I feel and on keto I’m not bloated and I’m regular or if I don’t go it’s just because I don’t need to and it feels fine.

(Bunny) #35

Please forgive me your highness, a mere mortal who eats veggies such as myself dare respond to your post…

Some more “words” for your reading pleasure, of course…

In the case of ”proven fact” some more “conjecture” (“science?”)

Optimal Dieters viz. Carnivore:

Still wondering (“I suspect”) how the carnivore diet fares with time (long-term)?

The variables:

1. Too many processed meats/proteins?

2. Not enough ofal (organ meats)?

3. Not enough marine life in the diet?

4. Too many muscle meats/proteins?

5. Cooking methods (e.g. thermal/heat) or time cooked vs. Raw (rareness)?

(bulkbiker) #36

Sorry Richard but a lot of us have realised that we simply cannot just accept what the “experts” have told us because it is often seriously flawed/completely incorrect. Hence we like to question things.
When you come here and say “Men should have about 35 g of fiber daily” I’m afraid that it will be questioned fairly robustly. I have learned that Type 2 diabetes rather than being the “chronic, progressive disease” I was told it was by my HCP’s is actually reversible/in remission/cured by following a ketogenic diet. The “experts” for the most part disagree with this…
When you read a lot of the more recent research on cholesterol and statin use you will find similar anomalies. When you can hear directly from people who are leading some of this research here then you start to get very suspicious of anything that the “experts” (especially if they are government experts) say.

(Sarah Bruhn) #37

Great talk… that’s the thing about keto, makes you question everything you’ve been taught about diet.

(Mandy) #38

I’m not super interested in getting into a debate but I can say this. For my body, I have tested it, and I do need some fiber. About 15 grams a day makes me feel best. With that said, lettuce now seems to disagree with me. I account for fiber, lots of fat and other good stuff by making a keto “cereal”. It’s delicious and fat filling.

I eat it several times a week with a splash of heavy cream.

(Todd Allen) #39

Here’s my favorite use for whole flax seeds. I’ve made endless variations on this nut & seed loaf recipe and it almost always turns out great.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/seed-nut-loaf/12636

Ground flax seed works well as a flour replacement in many recipes functioning as a thickener or binder.

Says who? It’s been shown time and time again that’s not the case. You say your digestive tract is suffering? How so specifically? Not going? Can’t go at all? Fat absolutely keeps things moving through the system assuming you’re eating right.

(Todd Allen) #41

There’s a diverse community here. If you hang around you’ll learn of many trigger words that activate various subsets. Fiber is one of those words. Use the search function on fiber and you’ll see it’s a topic that comes up often.

As for science there is so much published that it makes it pretty easy to compile a long list of references supporting almost any point of view on any topic. Sorting through all of the limitations, flaws and nuances is daunting and rarely done well. Fiber pretty clearly has both good and bad traits - for example it feeds gut bacteria which come in both good and bad varieties. In the end I think self-experimentation is vital. If you get acute effects either good or bad from trialing a higher fiber food act accordingly. If nothing obvious changes then it probably doesn’t matter a lot. And there are so many interactions that just because something is good or bad for you now doesn’t mean it will stay that way.

(Brian) #42

Might want to relax a little, Richard.

There are a lot of good people on here. And if you do a little looking around, these are some of the friendliest of the groups out there. (The few I’ve visited other than this one were rough.)

Not everyone here agrees on everything. We’re pretty much OK with that idea. Not all the “experts” even agree on everything. (For example, Phinney and Fung have different ideas on fasting. But many of us still have a lot of respect for both of them.)

Some people do well with nearly zero fiber. Others need it to do well. So who is right? About all we can do is share our own experiences and the bits and pieces of what we’ve read along the way.

It sounds like you’re only into this thing a month or so. Sometimes it takes a while for this stuff to get itself worked out. It took several months for me, from constipation to diarrhea, but after a little time, it sorta worked itself out. I don’t take anything, I just eat real food. I do eat my veggies, mostly cooked. I don’t eat a lot of salads and raw greens as I don’t have the teeth for them ( \years of vegan living were not kind to me that way). But I’m not shy about broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turnip greens, asparagus, squash, and numerous others. I like my veggies and apparently, they like me. How many grams, I haven’t a clue. Don’t care. I just eat.

Good luck. I hope you get it figured out. If you’ll be a little more specific, there might be more specific things people could suggest. Not sure it it’s too hard, too soft, too frequent, too infrequent, not sure what “suffering” means exactly. And most of the people here are pretty forgiving if you’ll put the claws away. Hey, we’re all in this together. And we all want to see everyone here succeed. No we don’t all do it exactly the same way. Mostly, though, we’re respectful and supportive of the things that seem to be working for others.

(Lonnie Hedley) #43

Please stop mentioning me in your posts. I think I’ve made it clear I don’t read them. As I mentioned, I’m sure there are people who find them helpful, but not me.

Thank you, and I hope you have a great day!

(KCKO, KCFO) #44

Thanks for this posting. I really needed to read this one.

(Linda) #45

Everyone here is not one long human centipede so what helps one person may be detrimental to another.

You want fiber? Eat nuts and seeds and fibrous green veggies. Personally, when I did this I had to live inside a gaviscon bottle for a week to make my stomach stop hurting. I now feel 2000 percent better since stopping. But that’s just me. I lost my cast iron stomach decades ago. If the OP still has theirs, good for them.

(Bunny) #46

As was apparently “not made clear” by you specifically, NOBODY was responding to YOU specifically, in another thread, the response by ME was in relation to a question posted within the article linked in your post?

In the case that you “do not want any one responding” to your future posts please specify that in your posts, I would also suggest you refrain from posting links (you apparently “do not read?”) up for debate, collaboration or information in the future if that truly is the case?

Let me take this opportunity to thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter and for your helpful conclusions “about not reading?”

Have a wonderful day and a better tomorrow!

(less is more, more or less) #47

Quite a pandora’s box you opened here.

My dad died of a protracted colon cancer battle when he was 41, 50-odd years ago. I’ve had more colonoscopies than Carter’s has liver pills, since I have a likely (and verified) genetic propensity to this ugly cancer. This also heightened my awareness on my food choices, such as when fiber (remember the oat bran craze in the early 90’s, old timers?) came on the scene and crashed my diet like a might wind blowing. In fairness to my doctors over time, they’ve been careful to claim that they didn’t know for certain which lifestyle habits contribute to its onset. Fiber was a popular remedy, and I, having little to lose, went “all in” on fiber and bran. That ended when I “went Keto."

A year into Keto, and where I try to get the majority of my carbs from fiber-rich vegetables (I try to remain strict about 20 grams of total carbs) I have no n=1 experience to relate. My next colonoscopy will tell me what I need to know. I’m pleased to report my prep fasting will be a breeze this time, thanks to IF.

I haven’t seen any science presented that supports your 35 grams claim, (a google popularity count is novel at best) though, if one is offered, I’m open to checking it out. Until then, however, I expect to stick to my current plan. I’ll also add that coconut oil surely greases the skids, if you know what I mean, such as when I add it to my morning coffee. Powerful stuff.

Offered for your viewing pleasure, an SNL skit when fiber was king:

Which of the seeds have you tried?
I tried chia seeds and I didn’t go to the bathroom for half a week. I have yet to try psyllium husks, which I have but I am a bit weary. Between fasting days and keto days, my intestines are a mess.

(Lonnie Hedley) #49

OK You too!