Adequate fiber is a real problem

food

(Richard Ames) #1

I see the fiber issue has been discussed on here often, and I don’t want to belabor it, but I really think it’s a serious problem with keto. Men should have about 35 g of fiber daily. I’ve been doing keto for one month. Love how I feel, and love the results so far, but for the life of me, I cannot get 35 g of fiber into me eating, say, 70%-75% fat, 20%-25% protein, and 5%-10% carbs. People say, “Oh, well just eat more greens.” Okay, do the math. Two cups of shredded romaine lettuce, for example, gets .5 g of fiber into me. I need 35 g. This means I would have to consume 140 cups of shredded romaine lettuce to hit the low end of my daily requirement!!! Supplements help bridge the gap a bit, but it’s still extremely difficult to get anywhere near 35 g of fiber a day if you are honestly doing proper keto macro ratios. I’m really trying and last month I averaged 16 g of daily fiber, and my digestive tract is suffering. This is a major keto downside for me. Other than supplementation, does anyone know how a person actually gets 35 g of fiber a day while still doing real keto ratios?

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

Show me the science.

Fiber is not necessary. I don’t eat fiber and feel much better than when I did.

(Chris) #3

No fiber for 13 months. Never shat better in my life.

(Sondra Rose) #4

I eat KetoCarnivore and ingest zero fiber. No issues.

Read Fiber Menace for some real science about fiber.

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

I was going to mention you in my post. :joy::rofl:

(Chris) #6

Don’t do that, goes right to my head :fire:

(Richard Ames) #7

So your answer is that fiber is meaningless. I suspect that the infamous caveman ate quite a bit of fiber, even in the winter, when he would practically try anything just to stave off any hunger when he wasn’t finding prey.

I’m not so sure that fiber is meaningless to the human diet. I suppose we will start to see in 10 or 15 years if enough people go on the keto diet, and colon cancer rates start skyrocketing. It’s a tough way to find out though.

(Todd Allen) #8

Here are some things I eat for other reasons that are high in fiber. I’m on the fence about the need for fiber, I often get quite a bit and some days hardly any.

dried rosemary, 43 g / 100 g
fennel seed, 40 g fiber / 100 g
chia seeds, 34 g fiber / 100 g
cacao nibs, 32 g fiber / 100 g
flax seeds, 32 g fiber / 100 g
pumpkin seeds, 18 g fiber / 100 g
dried coconut, 16 g fiber / 100 g
avocado, 7 g fiber / 100 g
mustard, 4 g fiber / 100 g
sauerkraut, 3 g / 100 g

Note, although the last few foods don’t look impressive if you subtract the water (93 g of the 100 g of sauerkraut) then they look pretty high.

(Lonnie Hedley) #9

I repeat. Show me the science. Saying “I suspect” isn’t science. It’s conjecture. You “suspect” and are “not so sure” is fine for your own opinion, but you can’t push that off as proven fact. Let me give you a link to the book @SondraRose mentioned.

You can get it used for only $8.57!!!

(Sondra Rose) #10

Here’s some science for you!

(bulkbiker) #11

Say’s who? Not this guy for sure…

(German Ketonian) #12

The truth about fiber for me: It clogs up my intestines and causes constipation. With fiber below 10g a day, I am fine and pretty much go every day… N=1

(German Ketonian) #13

Not to speak of all the water weight associated with the food remaining in my intestines…

(Alec) #14

Genuine question: where did you learn that men need 35g of fibre a day?

If we understood the source of the claim, we could analyse its efficacy. If it’s just your opinion, that’s ok, but let’s just be clear about that.

Broccoli has a lot more fiber. Probably cauliflower too, but I don’t like cauliflower so don’t eat it.

(Richard Ames) #16

Just google “daily fiber requirements,” and you’ll get about 100000 hits that say it. Men are supposed to need slightly more than women, but mid-30s is what is stated.

(Richard Ames) #17

Thanks brownfat. Good list.

(Ron) #18

A little more on fiber.

(Richard Ames) #19

hedleylo, Don’t get all up it attitude with me about this. I see a tread amongst many keto admirers, like you, that’s not helpful. You sound a bit of a know-it-all, and actually kinda hostile to people asking questions. Truth is the jury is still out, despite what you think you know. Modern, competent studies on keto are relatively new even if the practice of keto is old, and until we can study the long-term impact of keto on a sizable population, we simply do not know what changes may take place in the body that could possibly be extremely detrimental to people down the road. Keto shouldn’t be a religion, it should be considered logically, and carefully.

(Lonnie Hedley) #20

Are you ignoring the other posts saying the same thing I am?

Saying you “need” fiber is just as wrong as saying you “need” carbs. They are equal fallacies.

Until there is a Keto industry willing to put money into research, we’ll have to rely on anecdotal evidence. Like how in the 20’s it was used to treat epilepsy in children. But, it’s easier to just give kids drugs now. Or how people use it to treat their T2D. No matter how much the medical field would rather have people take medication. Or how new cholesterol research is proving LCHF actually improves the markers that matter. Where doctors would prefer to be prescribing medication.

I’m seeing a trend too. And you still haven’t shown me any science.