Accountability thread: 3 day fast

(jilliangordona) #1

For the past two weeks I have been feasting like crazy to up my food intake and hopefully rev up metabolism. I’ve never successfully done a multi day fast, and I believe it may have been because my constant IF drove me to underwater and slow my metabolism.

I’ve been dealing with weird sinus issues so I am hoping a fast might help, plus I’m trying to break a plateau. I will start tonight at 8pm and end Wednesday evening for dinner, around 7.

Going to post here throughout the fast to keep myself accountable. I may end up supplementing fat, I was trying to use Richard’s fasting calculator, however it doesn’t seem to want to load correctly on my phone.

(Allie) #3

Good luck :blush: I was planning to try for a five day fast this coming week but today feel unwell with a nasty sore throat so best to put my plans back a week I think.

You’re looking at 18 to 24 hours for stores to be emptied from your stomach and liver, then another 18 to 24 hours for your body to become adapted to using ketones as fuel.

If possible, try to continue fasting for a full four days - then your body will be over the hump and you’ll really start to feel a difference.

Good luck, let us know you want to talk about anything - happy to help and support.

(jilliangordona) #5

Great feedback, thank you!

(Christopher Wild) #6

Awesome! You’ll crush it Jillian! Have fun with it!

(jilliangordona) #7

Hour 15: I am home from work today with a bit of a stomach flu, which I suppose will back this fast easier since I already don’t want to eat!

I am getting a big hungry, I think just a response to food timing. I am sipping on my electrolyte water and relaxing on the couch with some grad work.

Weight: 181.3. Was 178.8 two days ago, but I ate a lot yesterday in preparation for this fast. Hoping to get to 175 and stay there by the end of it.

(jilliangordona) #8

Quick clarity, why will it take that long for my body to use ketones as fuel? Shouldn’t it already be doing that since I am keto?

If you know you are in ketosis then yes your body is already using ketones as fuel.

Are you monitoring ketones?

Are you monitoring glucose?

(jilliangordona) #10

No, however I have been keto for about a year and a half now. Heck, I may not be. But I am fairly certain that I am.

Change that… from an assumption to a known fact. Very easy to collect some urine test strips for ketones.

(jilliangordona) #12

Urine test strips can be inaccurate especially for someone who could be fat adapted. I go by how my body feels and have had success, so I’ve never purchased a blood meter.

Easy to discount their accuracy but at least you would know of you are in Ketosis or not. For myself, I use them as validation and I know my body is absolutely fat adopted, I dropped 30 pounds in my last Fast.

Good luck with your adventure.

The bottom line is to find what works for you. Good luck.

(Allie) #14

It would only take that long if you weren’t keto. You’ll be burning ketones already.

(jilliangordona) #15

Hour 22.5: just went to the gym for a fasted workout. I felt slower than normal but nothing crazy. My right quad is cramping so I suspect I am low on electrolytes, sipping some electrolyte drink now.

Weight: 179.8

(Christopher Wild) #16

Does your electrolyte drink contain both potassium and magnesium? Low on either/both could be a contributing factors to muscle cramps :slight_smile:

Also - what is Richard’s fasting calculator? What’s it used for, primarily?

(jilliangordona) #17

It does! I use the ketoaid recipe from @Brenda

The calculator estimates the amount of calories your body can produce from your own body fat based on your metabolic rate and lean body mass. It’s used to know you need to supplement fat to get through a fast without slowing your metabolism.

(Christopher Wild) #18

Oh! Cool. I’ve now found said calculator! Is it accurate? Very interesting what a difference 10 lbs made in my metabolic deficit.

(jilliangordona) #19

I have enough body fat to be able to fast without supplementation, so I can’t speak to experience. I do however do MUCH better on fasts with some coconut oil in my coffee and bone broth. I am a beginner with an active exercise habit. Baby steps :slight_smile:

(jilliangordona) #20

Made steak for my fiancé for dinner, surprisingly not tempted. I am still having tightness in my right quad after my electrolyte drink, a calcium supplement, and an epsom salt foot soak… may just be exercise related not fasting.

This has been the easier fast I’ve done to date! Hoping I can make it until Friday

(jilliangordona) #21

Hour 37: feeling some grumbles in my belly as I woke up, I think that is due to having over done it with my magnesium citrate in my electrolyte drink :see_no_evil:.

Weight: 179.3. I have a few la críox and my drink packed in my bag ready for work! Sipping some coconut oil coffee this am.

It was very easy to wake up this morning, and I’ve been struggling with that for weeks