Accountability thread: 3 day fast

(jilliangordona) #22

Thank you all for allowing me to spam this thread with my accountability.

Hour 40: Feeling awesome! I have been struggling with energy lately and this is such a refreshing feeling! Never made it this far, the 24 hour mark was my previous longest fast to date.

Still have some belly gurgles but not real hunger. Feels good to not have to worry about my food.

(jilliangordona) #23

Hour 45: ending my work day feeling great! Probably one of my most energetic days of teaching to date! yay!

(Ketomanu) #24

Congratulations Keigan! That’s awesome. May I ask how long this fast was?

(Ketomanu) #25

I am in my 62nd hour of fasting. I was almost giving into the hunger pangs and breaking it… but thought of going to the forum for some motivation. And luckily I did and found your thread!

40 hours !! Good job !!!

I measured ketones yesterday and after over 40 hours still did not see any changes, so I went for a 1 hour run, and oh boy after that my ketones went up.

Today I am struggling because the hunger pangs are real… I hoped to do a 72 hours. Fingers crossed.

(jilliangordona) #26

I am currently thinking about having dinner and breaking it at 48 hours, but I think it is simply a habit response to eating after work instead of real hunger, I am not feeling cold or shaky or tired.

I am going to weigh myself tonight and see if there is a noticeable difference, that may decide if I eat or not

(jilliangordona) #27

Tapped out at the 48 hour mark, started feeling lightheaded and I’ve been having some tummy issues. Looking to incorporate a 5:2 fasting protocol for a few weeks and see what happen!

Sounded like a wise decision to break the fast. Good going to make it to 48 hours. I am about 5 hours away from completing a 72 hour fast (my longest) and I am toying with the idea of holding out until breakfast Thursday morning.

If I go until then it will be about 84 hours. But I have had to do a number of much shorter fasts to get to this point.

(jilliangordona) #29

I ate dinner and breakfast and am currently not even close to hungry! Would it be silly to go ahead and start another 48 hour fast? I don’t want to hurt my metabolism, but would love to stretch my fasting muscles

(Chris) #30

Ramos seems to think it’s fine, I say if you’ve got the fat to burn, go for it. You’re already eating keto so there’s no adaption to bother with.

(jilliangordona) #31

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve got plenty to burn!

If you started feeling lightheaded, a couple of meals aren’t going to recharge your electrolytes.

The kidneys are obligated to lose potassium to excrete ketone bodies. Additionally, when insulin drops, cells let go of their electrolytes, leading to higher electrolyte excretion.

The RDA of potassium is around 4 to 5 grams per day. The body can get by on less. I aim for 1 gram over a day while fasting. Do not take 4 to 5 grams at once without consulting a physician. Too much potassium at once can interfere with cell signalling and muscle functioning, including the heart. This is why pills over 99 mg require a prescription.

I would eat potassium rich foods for a few days before fasting again.