About the Zero Carb / Carnivore category

(Diane Allen) #9

I’ll be joining in ZC beginning January 2nd. I’m hoping this will start 2017 in the right direction.

(AnnaLeeThal) #10

I am certainly interested. I’m not quoted sure what the “rules” are though. Do you monitor protein intake? Is it just fat and meat or can you have eggs and dairy too? What are the benefits that people have seen?

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

No. Just eat animal products. Most eat dairy and eggs, but a lot of dairy has carbage. Typically it’s primarily meat. Basically, anything with very minimal carbs. Full fat dairy is acceptable but it must be very limited.

I eat all meat with HWC minimally, and (rarely) very fatty cheese like brie when ZC. I will also use ghee versus butter.

Basically: eat meat to satiety, drink water, generally. However, many adaptations on a theme, and all that.

ZC What did you eat today?
(AnnaLeeThal) #12

Well it certainly simplifies things.

I would assume organ meats are recommended. I think I would incorporate once or twice a week. I bought some chicken liver, and since I will be the only one in my family eating it I can make it stretch.

Also in my freezer: beef tongue, liver, and heart.

(Meeping up the Science!) #13

@amber is more experienced than I. Definitely ask for her input :slight_smile:

Me, I just keep it simple. I have been typical keto this week finishing off extra dairy. Heading ZC again Monday. Doing meat, HWC (in moderation) only. And maybe plain iced tea now and then for a break from water.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #14

Organs are great, especially if you like them. I wouldn’t sweat it, especially at first.

Let me put it this way. Organs are micronutrient powerhouses, and people who are giving up vegetables often think of them as a way to “replace” what they think they will now be missing from vegetables. However, plants are generally poor sources of micronutrients compared to meat, particularly when you take into account their generally low bioavailability and high anti-nutrients. Moreover, micronutrient needs are different under low carb conditions than high carb ones.

The bottom line in my opinion is that there isn’t a more pressing need to consume organs without vegetables than there is with vegetables. I recommend them in both cases, along with egg yolks (honorary organs), butter, and lard.

2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge
(AnnaLeeThal) #15

Great, thanks for that input! That makes a lot of sense. I do consider eggs the multivitamin of the food world, so we try to eat a lot in my house.

(Sondra Rose) #16

Yay! I was hoping for some Zero Carb convo here.

I’ve been a “dirty carnivore” for the last 18 months (spices, tea, wine, a snibble of dark chocolate.). I have been Keto /low carb Paleo for the past 7 years.

ZC has hugely simplified my life and I love it! Several of my nutrition clients have joined the dark side and seeing excellent benefits.

No more FODMAPS issues from veggies. I get my micronutrients from meat, eggs, organ meats, and seafood. :smiley:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #17

@SondraRose, great point about seafood! Mollusks, for example are very rich in micronutrients.

(Sondra Rose) #18

Yes! I seem to remember you posting yummy pics of scallops on your FB page.

Living in the PAC NW, fresh seafood was a regular part of my diet. Now that we are living in Tucson, I have to make a more concerted effort. Shellfish are usually my choice on the rare occasions when we eat out.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #19

I bet it was oysters.

No, I didn’t eat those olives. :wink:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #20

Check out the punch those 6 oysters pack: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4189/2

Vitamin A 84.0IU 2%
Vitamin C 3.1mg 5%
Vitamin D 269IU 67%
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 0.7mg 4%
Vitamin K 0.1mcg 0%
Thiamin 0.1mg 6%
Riboflavin 0.1mg 5%
Niacin 1.2mg 6%
Vitamin B60.1mg3%
Folate 8.4mcg 2%
Vitamin B12 16.3mcg 272%
Pantothenic Acid 0.2mg 2%
Choline 54.6mg
Calcium 37.8mg 4%
Iron 5.6mg 31%
Magnesium 39.5mg 10%
Phosphorus 113mg 11%
Potassium 131mg 4%
Sodium 177mg 7%
Zinc 76.3mg 509%
Copper 3.7mg 187%
Manganese 0.3mg 15%
Selenium 53.5mcg 76%

(Sondra Rose) #21

Definitely the superfood of the sea! Must get me some soon…

(Meeping up the Science!) #22

Amber, your page was great motivation for me to restart zero carb. I just wished to thank you for always sharing your experiences!

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #23

You’re welcome, Donna. Thank you so much for telling me. I’m eager to see how it goes for you.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #24

I’m loving this thread! Thanks for all the information shared! I also appreciate that even with ZC there’s variety. I could totally be a ‘dirty’ one. :joy::joy: I like that.

Amber, what are your thoughts on canned oysters?

(Heather) #26

Ok, I just want to be clear. I can just have meats, through out the day, probably cooked in some type of fat and that will be ok? I can’t eat eggs. Can you maybe just give like an example of a days meals? I get confused easily…lol. Thank you :grin:

(Meeping up the Science!) #27

Yup! Typically for ZC I never worried about protein/fat macros… there are benefits to keeping protein lower in typical ketogenic diets which is individual biochemistry dependent, however I will not get into the minutiae here. I also work in crisis and/or see clients, so my eating during the day is rarely typical or regularly timed.

My meals wednesday:

Breakfast: skip typically.

Lunch: skipping possibly. If no skip, 8 ounce of ch. thigh or ground beef.

Dinner: 8oz ground beef.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #28

Thoughts on canned oysters? I think they are delicious!

I’m landlocked in Colorado and don’t get out for fresh ones often, but I always keep a supply of canned ones on hand. Two out of three of my children love them.

Last year, in December, I posted the following story on Facebook about my youngest son, who was 6 at the time:

Later, in February: