About me/ grocery suggestions

(mole person) #41

If you’re not hungry for more, and you are feeling well and energetic enough then you don’t need to be adding any fat past what satisfies you. If one meal is all it takes that’s fantastic. Don’t listen to people who say that you must eat more fat, there is currently plenty of fat on your body for it to eat. just DON’T limit in order to speed up weight loss. You want your body to not think it’s starving at all.

However, you have to remember that as your body weight drifts lower you will start to need much more fat in your diet. Once you have used up all the excess body fat then you will have to feed your body the amount of fat that it’s currently getting from your fat stores each day or you will start to starve. This value creeps up as you lose weight. The less fat you have available on your body the less your metabolism is capable of getting energy from that source.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

They are quite hard to find in my area. One supermarket we shop at refuses to carry organ meat at all, and the one that does carry organ meat rarely has anything but liver and kidneys. If you want beef hearts or chicken livers, you’re out of luck. And tongue? Forget about it!

I used to make a pretty good oxtail stew, tasty and really cheap, and then oxtail was discovered as a food. Now it costs as much per pound as steak, so whereas I could once make plenty of stew for two people for less than $5.00, nowadays making enough for four would cost $30 or $40. It just galls my inner Scotsman to pay $8.99/pound for flippin’ oxtails, when I can buy a whole pork picnic for $1.79/pound and get a [spoiler]hell[/spoiler] of a lot more meat for a [spoiler]hell[/spoiler] of a lot less money.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #43

@PaulL I hear you about ox tails. They became kind of trendy all of the sudden. All of the stores I shop in offal is all vacuum packed and frozen, also more expensive relatively it seems except chicken liver. Like $0.79#

I used to cook Chinese food for a living. The standard was flank steak for beef because it was only a couple of $ per pound then. It’s like $10 now, I suspect because of the low-fat myth.

I wouldn’t suggest Carnivore to everyone, so I don’t see it as a big division. Carnivore helps a small number of people who saw great improvements with Keto when it comes to things like inflammation, and Carnivore just takes it another step forward. I do believe people whose ancestry leans towards meat-heavy diets (certain Northern Europeans, East Africans, Native Americans, Inuit, etc) could benefit from going full Carnivore to improve their markers.

I mean I’m eating liver basically on the weekly, either that or some other type of organ meat, like heart or tripe. There are some Carnivores that don’t believe that organ meats are necessary. I don’t necessary agree with them, but some are doing fine eating muscle meat only without developing scurvy.

(Running from stupidity) #45

Nup. You’ll see. It’s used as a troll term, and used by people who don’t - and won’t - understand that the human body doesn’t work on eighth-grade physics laws.

But the carnivore vs omnivore is kind of a clear division between two schools of thought. With many experts claiming veggies are necessary for healthy keto eating and others claiming that veggies are bad or not needed with their fiber and unnecessary carbs, vitamins and minerals.

Nah, carnivore is seen by most as just a subset of normal keto, and hasn’t promoted anything LIKE the arguments CICO has in the last six months. It’s been to the extent that we’ve had extremely valuable members leave because they have become too sick of the admin protection of the CICO trolls while the sane members get whacked and threatened with bans. Nothing remotely close to that has happened with carnivore.

It’s true, but we all should try to eat more organ meats and cartilage and such. Part of it is accessibility. You don’t see them much in stores. Then there are thoughts about quality and then about how to prepare them.

If you are able to purchase from US Wellness, or there is a local store who stocks their stuff, you should try their liverwurst. It has liver, heart and kidney. And it’s really good. Chris Masterjohn says you don’t really need to eat a ton of it either.

The first time I ever had it years ago, my body must have been craving the nutrients because I inhaled several rolls of it for weeks on end. Goes really well with eggs and cheese. :slightly_smiling_face:

I haven’t had any in a long time and need to order some. I have been eating pâté and liver mousse that I pick up from the local organic store. In fact, that will be part of breaking my EF either today or tomorrow. I had it the last time I broke my first EF and it digested really well.

Edited to say I also really like chicken hearts and gizzards. There’s a farmer who usually has them, along with livers at the local farmer’s market. But I can’t say I’ve been jumping on them. I need to do better in this regard too.

I think a lot of the more ethnic grocery stores in more metropolitan areas are more likely to carry offal.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #47

@kandescent I can get anything if I drive about 25 miles to San Jose to shop at any of the dozens of Asian Supermarkets. Beef Tendons, pig liver (my fav), whole heads of animals, whatever you want. You don’t see brain much either, seems like a perfect keto food for fats content.

That sounds perfect!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

Good! Maybe rib-eye will come down to $1.50/lb. then! #FROMMYMOUTHTOGOD’SEAR

(Full Metal KETO AF) #50

Unlikely with keto starting to be a trend.

(PSackmann) #51

That kills me too. Just like paying $4.99-$6.99 for chuck roast, I can’t do it. Or brisket, which used to be $.99 frequently for me. I so miss those days

Is this available online only? Or are you able to get it locally in your store?

@Hapygirl I used to live somewhere that had a local independent health food store that carried some of their products. But I haven’t found other places since then. You might be able to contact the company to see if they have a list of stores that carry their products in your area. Otherwise, yeah, online is best. But you need a bit of space in your freezer because the have a weight minimum to make sure the products stay frozen during shipping.

Thank you. I’ll have to check it out :slight_smile:

I neglected to provide a link to their website.

https://grasslandbeef.com/

:+1:thank you again!