About me/ grocery suggestions

(Tyler) #1

Tyler

Weight: 218 (started at 270- goal 185)
Height: 5’11

No health issues aside from being overweight lol

Trying to get into shape so I can go through police academy. Starting a workout routine next week which will be a mix of calisthenics and compound lifts.

Recently it’s just been chicken breasts and asparagus which I’m cool with because it’s filling and I only eat one meal a day (not starving myself it just the only time I’m hungry)

Any shopping suggestions for me? Not full recipes just certain veggies you guys like or seasonings and stuff like that. I’ve onky been doing keto for like a week so any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

(Cindy) #2

Bacon. Good quality steaks. They’re easy to broil…rub with olive oil on both sides, sprinkle with seasoning, broil about 2-3in from the top of the oven. About 4 min/side depending on how done you like them. Broccoli, cabbage, cheese, spinach, tomato…those are just some of the things I eat.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

This will give you a great jumping off place for veggies, there are a few that you can add like collard greens, Bok Choy, and other green leafy stuff mostly.

This is handy as a reference in your phone while shopping or considering a recipe and evaluating the carbs. Also some chain restaurant low carb info and frozen and premade food info. It’s not all low carb, high carb choices are there for your reference as well (chicken nuggets compared to grilled chicken breast etc).

I don’t know if you like them but eggs and bacon are near perfect keto foods.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I would add that everyone eats different here so there’s no one way to do this. It’s important for you to find foods that you like within the spectrum of ketogenic foods. Spice things as you like them now. Most herbs and spices are very low carb. Use the Atkins carb counter to look up values for condiments if you don’t have nutritional labeling to go off of. Find your groove in the kitchen with foods that you love and this will be easier to sustain as a lifestyle change. I hope that’s your plan to make permanent changes to your way of eating (WOE). I wish so badly that I had done this exact thing at your age. I’m not just dealing with extra weight but serious health issues that I likely would not have if I’d treated my body better in my 20-30’s. Learn from an old timer’s mistakes my friend. My best wishes for your journey to lifelong health and a long happy life with your wife.

(Carl Keller) #5

Hello and welcome Tyler.

I got a lot of ideas watching YT. Do a search on Keto grocery run and you can get a lot of specific ideas.

(Laurie) #6

Welcome!

Remember you don’t need to eat vegetables, but you can eat the “keto friendly” ones if you want.

Meat, eggs, fish, butter, etc. Some cheese.

Tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce). Curry powder, Italian seasoning, crushed chilis or cayenne pepper, dried onion, dried garlic. Mustard and mayonnaise. And this:

HuyFongFoodsChiliGarlicSauce

Be sure to get the Chili Garlic Sauce–NOT Sambal Oelek, which doesn’t have garlic. Boo!

(Tyler) #7

Really my only issue is knowing how much fat is enough fat? I’m cooking mostly with coconut oil and butter. But like I’m just not sure how to gauge if I’m using enough lol like the pan is always covered with it, I pan sear my asparagus with it and the whatever I cook usually has a big hearty slab of the butter on it just because why the hell not. I just want to be sure that I’m doing enough. I’ve heard using thighs is Bette the cause they are fattier so I will try that next? Also I love cheese but I’ve heard too much cheese or protein can actually slow down or take you out of ketosis. I’m starting to get a little confused lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Eat enough to satisfy your hunger. If you eat enough at one meal, you should be able to go quite some time before getting hungry again. So eat when hungry, stop when no longer hungry, don’t eat again until hungry again. Ignore the clock, in other words.

(Tyler) #9

That’s exactly what i do! I think a lot of people think I’m doing it just to starve myself but that’s just how it works out for me. I usually have a 2 hour window I eat in.

(Tyler) #10

I’m basically Ron Swanson. “Give me all the bacon and eggs you have”.

(Tyler) #11

Keto is my permanent WOE now. I don’t miss carbs at all and I feel better and have more energy than I have had in years. I’m excited to start seeing it reflect on the scale but I know that doesn’t happen over night.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

As long as you are keeping your carbohydrate intake low, you’re golden. The rest is more in the nature of tweaks. The protein stuff can be confusing, because the science is changing. Just avoid eating too little or too much, you’ll be fine. In fact, you sound great! Just keep on ketoing on. :bacon::bacon:

(Tyler) #13

What about cheese? Because my signature scar bled eggs without sharp cheddar just isn’t the same and I miss cheese haha

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #14

You should not be doing one meal a day if you have just started a week ago. This is a recipe for disaster.
You are going to lower your BMR until you are fat adapted and you’re basically starving yourself. Please rethink Keto. You need to be upping your fat and eating to your macros, not reducing your calorie intake so low you can barely function. That’s a CICO Method.

(Tyler) #15

It’s not about calorie restriction for me. When I started to do intermittent fasting I learned to listen to my body and only eat when I am actually hungry. That’s what i’m trying to explain to everyone. I was doing IF long before I started Keto. I don’t limit myself to once a day and then spend the rest of the day clutching my guts saying I’m starving. If I find that I am hungry outside of that, then I eat, but I simply can’t make myself eat just for the sake of eating. The reason I eat the way I do is because I can eat a nice healthy, filling meal and not feel like garbage afterwards. I’m not starving myself because I’m desperate to see the weight drop. I know it takes time. I’m just trying to get a feel for how I should prepare the meals to get them loaded up with fat and if I am at least heading in the right direction.

Recently this is how my meal time goes.

-Come home from overnight shift.
-Preheat Oven and cover the baking sheet in foil and oil/butter.
-Season Chicken with additonal oil/butter and whatever the flavor of the day seasonings I decided to use.
-Get out vegetables I’m using and have them ready to throw into a pan (cooked with salt, butter/oil)

While the oven is preheating, I get out 4 large eggs, whisk them in a bowl with land o lakes heavy cream and then make scrambled eggs while I wait for the oven to preheat. Sometimes I have bacon and If i do I cook my veggies in the fat and some extra butter. I add some cheese, salt and pepper to my eggs, I eat them and then I pop my chicken in the oven.

Once the chicken is almost done I cook my veggies so they are ready at the same time, and then I add some additional butter or oil and seasonings and what have you and then I sit down and eat. It’s a big, hearty meal and I love it and I don’t feel hungry again until the next day.

I just don’t know what everyone wants me to do unless they want me to force myself to eat more when I am genuinely not hungry. It’s kind of discouraging, because on one hand I’m being told there is no rulebook to Keto, then the next thing I know I’m being told everything I am doing is wrong and that I’m gonna fail because of it. ( Not necessarily you, just in general).

So I guess the question I am really trying to ask is, does the meal I am preparing sound keto, and if not, what are the suggestions to make it more so? I’m actually buying dark meat next time since I am told it has more fat and in general is better for Keto.

(Natasha) #16

You sound like you are doing great, don’t get discouraged! Being able to listen to your body and following genuine hunger signals is the place most people would like to be at… keep going! Your food choices sound excellent, if you’re feeling satisfied after your meals and are able to go all the way through to the next day without being hungry, it sounds to me as though you have got your fat/protein/carb balance just right!

Best of luck with your goal of joining the police, it sounds like you are motivated and dedicated to achieving it :grinning:

(Tyler) #17

You think so? Because I really thought I nailed it but I began to doubt myself when I started asking questions like that and then everyone was acting like I was holding a gun to my head or something lol I’ve lost close to 60lbs since I started back in May with IF and that was before I started Keto and had a workout plan for myself. I’ve heard Keto and IF is one badass combo so I’m hoping that with discipline and some hardwork in the gym I can hit my goal and totally destroy the PT standards for the Academy.

Thank you, very much for the encouragement! I wish you well on your Keto-Quest as well!

To be fair you had told everyone that you were only eating skinless chicken breast & asparagus - that is not very nourishing.

(Tyler) #19

Yeah I realized that after and that’s why I was trying to go a little more in depth. I’m new to forums in general and the ones I’ve seen before have been pretty unforgiving of new people.

I apologize if I didn’t provide enough details to begin with.

The more thorough the info you give, the better the answers you’ll get. People here are keen to help :slightly_smiling_face: