A Sous Vide Primer (how to get started and why with a ketogenic lifestyle)

sous-vide

(matt ) #61

I doubt you can do sous vide in an instant pot as you need very tight temp control of the water for sous vide to work. But the instant pot is awesome in i’ts own right.

(Keto Krazy) #62

Thank you @matt! Sorry for an apparently silly question, but I am still a bit clueless as to what exactly the Instant Pot will, and will not do. I have been reading all I can online at this point, and now have a little more understanding. However, the Sous Vide possibily was not clear having never tried either! :wink:

(matt ) #63

At it’s core the instant pot is a slow cooker (crock pot) and pressure cooker. It can also sear.

It does rice and stuff too but I don’t see many keto folks making rice.

(Kimberly) #64

I bought myself a chefsteps joule for Christmas, it’s the best kitchen gadget I’ve ever bought. in the last 2 weeks I’ve made everything from heavy cream yogurt to med rare brisket. I love it. Now that I got that off my chest I’ll go back and read the rest of this post.

(Keto Krazy) #65

What sold me was the cooking of frozen meat, (which I always forget to thaw) as well as, the easy cracking of hard boiled eggs. I’m hoping both of those work out well as I see them as my primary usage. I’ve never been a big crock pot person.

The Sous Vide was of definite interest to me, so I was hoping the IP might provide that option too. Darn! LOL!

(Guardian of the bacon) #66

I did eggs the other day in mine. Hard boiled, came out perfect. They were several weeks old, may have been a factor, I’ve not tried fresh eggs.

I placed the eggs on the rack that came with the IP. 1 cup water in the bottom. I did it on manual for 5 minutes once it built pressure. turned off let sit for 5 more minutes. released pressure and placed the eggs in cold water. I let cool for 30 minutes or so and they peeled perfectly. Yolks were hard with no green layer.

Bone broth is another great use of the IP

(Keto Krazy) #67

That is what everyone claims! I’m hoping I have the same luck! :grinning:

(Stephanie Hanson) #68

Can you pls share your heavy cream yogurt recipe? Thx.

(Stephanie Hanson) #69

I have both and while you can use them both to cook many foods, they are completely different cooking techniques. I love that I can cook meat from frozen fast in the IP. I got it b/c I only cook for 2 people. One of them is a finicky toddler. I was throwing away a lot of food b/c she wouldn’t like something for more than 1 meal. The IP allows me to cook small portions without having to babysit the pot.

I got the Sous Vide as my gourmet cooking investment. Mostly because I love a great steak but eating out with a 3 yo can make me feel suicidal.

(chris.coote) #70

After hearing the episode of 2KD last night, I now have yet one more thing I need to try. I’d been eating soft boiled eggs on toast back in my carb days, so just one step off…

Though, whether coincidence or cognitive bias, I stopped by Starbucks today and noticed they were selling Sous Vide Egg Bytes. One with Bacon and Gruyere, though they went down a path of scrambled and “ruined” it with milk. I ended up sacrificing 4.5 carbs on one for curiosity sake (not planning to make it normal). The yolk on the ones in this thread are still unchecked on my bucket list, but the concept of adding bacon and cheese into the mix has me partly intrigued.

(Guardian of the bacon) #71

Grass fed, Chuck steak, (basically a chuck roast cut 1" thick). This cut was nice and fatty with significant connective tissue. Sous vide 129F for 28 hours. Seared 30 sec/side in a dry cast with salt & pepper.
Served with fries broccoli & mushrooms.

(Kimberly) #73

I just fill a 16oz mason jar 3/4 of the way full with heavy cream set the joule to 185 and put the jar in for 30 minutes - pull it out and let it cool till it hits 110 - add 3 tablespoons of full fat yogurt with live cultures or or left over yogurt from my last batch. While I’m waiting for the cream to cool I change the water and set the joule to 112. return the jar to the bath and let it go overnight about 8/12 hours. when you pull it out it is runny but it will thicken in the frig in about 6 hours. The longer you leave it in the bath the tarter it will be. I have left it in for 24 hours it still came out good just tangy. just an FYI a half of cup has about 411 calories and 44 g of fat and about 3.5 g of carbs. It is very delicious

(Louise ) #74

How was it??

(Guardian of the bacon) #75

Anybody done beef liver in a sous vide?

I have one in there now doing 140F for the afternoon.

(David K) #76

Nah, the catfish prefer it raw. :laughing:

(Guardian of the bacon) #77

I tend to agree…I keep trying to convince myself it’s good for me.

(David K) #78

The Whole 30 couple recommends cutting it into pills and freezing it, so you can get the benefit without the flavor.

(Derek I. Batting) #79

Pardon if this has been asked already, but is there a particular brand or make/model people seem to prefer? I’m in the US.

(David K) #80

I have an Anova.

(matt ) #81

I have an Anova as well. I think @richard has a couple brands.