A Sous Vide Primer (how to get started and why with a ketogenic lifestyle)

sous-vide

(Guardian of the bacon) #82

The problem is my wife actually enjoys eating it.

It actually turned out ok out of the sous vide. Set at 140 for the afternoon. Flash fried in
bacon nectar.

The Anova is great. It’s an attachment as opposed to a stand-alone appliance so it doesn’t take up bench space and can be stored in a drawer. Easy to use and comes with a nifty app with cooking times and recipes to boot.

(Stephanie Hanson) #84

I have an Anova. I wanted the Joule. It was rated higher by one blog I read and for reasons I liked. But, it has no manual interface. It has to be run by Bluetooth app.

(Dustin Ewers) #85

I have a Joule and it’s pretty great. It is, however, tied to your phone. You also can’t find it in normal stores. I haven’t been willing to pony up another 100+ bucks to buy an Annova to compare it to. The Joule does what I need and I don’t mind the phone interface, their app is really nice. Great for sous vide newbs.

So resistance was futile and I have ended up buying an Anova, flash sale on Ebay was fatal for me.

I’m thinking a ‘Sous Vide’ sub category in Food would be useful.

Now what should be my first family meal?

(David K) #87

(Guardian of the bacon) #88

Whatever chunk of meat you have on hand that you want to be incredible.

(Terry) #89

I would try something that is cheap & tough. After that, you may never buy the expensive cuts again!

I do like meat but with my wife not likening it we have went down the poultry route with the odd meat. The more I have read the more I want me teenage kids to have a good meat meal at least once per week. I am not familiar with all the cuts can, you suggest one. I have a good butcher that will do any requested cut.

The answer is brisket… prepare it like this… It is absolutely stunning, yes more steps than 40 hour chuck, but this is a legendary thing to make with sous vide. Watch the videos, they even have a BBQ expert taste test.

Chefsteps Smokerless Brisket

(Bart) #92

Wonder how many carbs all the brown sugar and molasses add. Other then that it looks ABSOLUTELY delicious. Any cooks out there that could suggest a work about for the brown sugar and molasses?

The artificial fix is using artificial sugar.

But, if you don’t want to go the artificial route, a technique cooks use to approximate sugar taste is in a pan frying (scorching) on very high heat some tomato paste, in lots of fat and in presence of herbs (thyme and rosemary). Be careful, there is a point at which gorgeous caramelization turns to burnt tomato paste. This secret is actually used in making authentic italian tomato sauce (instead of the insane addition of cane sugar…recipes that tell you to add sugar are cheating).

Another trick is oven roasting whole heads of garlic (without peeling or taking them apart). Then squeeze the roasted garlic out of their peels (as you would a tube of toothpaste). A sweetness from the roasting process is quite nice.

Another trick is roasting red bell peppers on barbeque, and then removing the blackened charred skin. The remaining pulp is then puréed. The purée comes out quite sweet tasting.

(Bart) #94

I figured the sugar part, I want to even say I have seen artificial brown sugar, just now sure how well it cooks.

Now the tomato paste and garlic to replace the molasses sounds not only intriguing but delicious! Maybe the two together. Hmmm. I am getting hungry now! lol.

Thank you for the tips.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, too. If you blend tomato paste with roasted garlic, or blend the barbecued peppers with roasted garlic, they will be kick ass winners!

(matt ) #96

Just keep in mind that tomatoes, peppers and garlic all have carbs so account for them.

Yes, you are correct. Carb counts are very important, as always should be. The bonus here is that these concoctions are to be used and glazing, flavourings, wet rubs, etc on the meat, as a replacement for syrups and molasses. So, a thin flavour veil would be less problematic than a substantial serving on your plate.

(Bart) #98

I agree as a thin spread it should not cause much of a problem, eat the glaze concoction as a side dish, along with your other incidental carbs another story.

(Chris Rudolphi) #99

Yes, just made some this weekend. Finished in onions and bacon fat. I marinate in milk for a few hours first, which does seem to mellow out the flavor a bit.

(Scott Shillady) #100

I made a tasty BBQ sauce last weekend and used a little truvia to sweeten and some maple extract for the flavor profile

(Larry Lustig) #101

All these techniques of caramelizing various vegetables are simply converting slightly-more-complex carbohydrates into sugars, aren’t they? So they’re not really replacing sugar but rather supplying it from a different source?

I assume (without first looking at the actual recipe), that little of the sugar from any source makes it into the final product as consumed?