A newly converted Keto follower

newbies

(Sky) #1

Hi guys - I am sooooo new to Keto started last Monday - in the past I have been an on/off Keto
personal critic - listening to old school nutritionists and people that I respected as they have such dietry control BUT at the end of the day I needed something that works for me because I am so tired of my yoyo up/down weight issue

Last year I went on a 500cal next to no fat regime I weighed in at 102kg and I am only 160cm

Well long story short I lost 40kg in 6 months which was great yay BUT now comes the proof in the pudding stage - question - can I keep it off???

Quick answer - no I couldnt

So started the putting back on/try to lose saga

The way of eating may be great for others that did the same diet but not for me and I was becoming depressed looking at all my hard work going down the proverbial toilet or perhaps more dietry apt the proverbial cake/biscuit barrel-

So I researched and of cause came back to my Keto research - but I also researched why my gut would never signal to my brain that I had eaten enough - never never did I feel sated even when I had eaten more carb/cal in one sitting than most of you could stomach in one day- I never suffered bloat never had indigestion so no signals to stop yet the more I ate say cake/choc/bisuits you all that stuff yes meat and veg too - the more I wanted - ridiulous really but true - soooo I recon my body was starving for fats but the good fats not the ones in the cakes but the ones that come with out the wheat and the sugar and all the other ingredients - it wanted one ingredient FAT but the good kind

But for 40 years I have been indoctrinated to believe that fat was my enemy - to be avoided at all cost - so getting my head around doing the exact opposite is not an easy task - hence that is why I did not choose Keto last year - but today - after only one week - I can see the merrit and I think my brain is finally getting what it has been trying to get me to do for it but I was getting the craving message scrambled

I am finally looking at healthy fats - the avo I love is no longer just a longing - the butter I so love is no longer my estranged friend - yes losing that weight I put on is my initial goal and getting to my target goal of 57kg my end goal BUT none of that matters if I cant HAPPILY stay at that level

I dont want to be fighting that continual urge to eat - I dont want 500 or even 1000 cal a day for the rest of my life - it really is not enough to sustain me to do my rotating rosters - I dont work a normal job I am at work 7 days with one day away from the work place - eating like normal people at normal hours has not been my gig for over 10 years

I am trying intermittent fasting - strangly I find I am not hungry whilst I fast its when that first bit of food hits my stomach that I start to feel hungry but then I guess you all know that already

So I have dropped 4.8kg in 7 days - pretty happy about that and my tummy is getting smaller every day - happy about that too

I love the bullet coffee (1tsp MCT oil and butter) which at first sounded so not appetising but I love that creamy buttery taste and a little cream in my coffee omg and I am loosing weight and I can fit this in with my crazy work hours

Now in the past I was a doubter so if you ever read a post elsewhere written by me that sounded less than favourable - please check the date - I thought I knew how to eat properly I thought I knew what the body needed - I knew some sure - I am aware of the guts need etc the water need yep got that down pat

But my knowledge about my brain needing good fats actually preferring good fats - that was a total mystery to me

so bare with me when I ask the occassion inane question - its not that I am doubting you are correct I am only searching to see if your solution could be that answer to my on going question - is this right for me?-

looking forward to reading all your posts past/present and future

I sincerly want Keto to be my answer - now just to get it right

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum. These two threads might be very helpful for you when just starting Keto:

Following basic Keto -keeping your carbs at 20 grams or less, no Sugar, adequate proteins and healthy fats, enough water, and electrolytes, and you will be doing well.

Best wishes on your Keto Journey =).

(Sky) #3

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks hun will read them asap as in right now:hugs::hugs:

I am sitting in bed have my black cup of joe - laptop where it should be dog at my side - it is 10am hubby just rousing and for the first time in many months I am actually calm on inside - I feel there is a light to the end of my personal weight lifestyle tunnel

Oh lol I work 7 days and this is my one day off to do sweet F all - ahhhhhh there are days when my life is good l:woozy_face::upside_down_face::wink:

(Susan) #4

I am 55 and have done yo-yo dieting since I was 11, until I found Keto in February, so I can relate to your struggles with the gaining and losing and starving yourself, etc. Keto is freedom from feeling hungry and frustrated all the time.

It is very important to keep your electrolytes up so that you feel good and don’t suffer the withdrawal symptoms from coming off the carbs and sugars as much.

I see you mentioned you like to do a 16:8 protocol -so try and get two good meals in there and try not to snack inbetween -when you do the 16 hours, that should just be clear tea/coffee and water, no calories during that time. I do 20:4 on my eating days -so I have lunch at 1pm and then supper at 4:30 and no calories from 5pm until 1pm the next day.

When I started Keto I did 12:12 then moved it up gradually to the 20:4, over a few months. lengthening the fasting time gradually. I know that you said that this will work better for you with your work schedule, so if it is working for you to already do that, then that is great, and I wish you all the best =).

(Sky) #5

so far so good no crash withdrawals or any symptoms apart from a clearer head and even though I still have my crazy where the hell does that come from anxiety and lack of self estem think no one particualrely likes me or that I am just unlikeable syndrom but I am having already less of it -

Actually have moments even hours where I feel ok within my self

I do look after those issues with my collodial minerals and trace elements and the aloe vera juice pure plus spirralina , resistance starch and the B vitamins magnesium etc -

at 65 I sort of need the extra bits - I found out I had magnesium issues when I was doing the 500cal I started to get unbeleiveable pain in both my feet just like the plantar issues people have so naturally googled and one of the solutions could be my diet was deficient in magnesium well duh I wasnt giving my body any

I went from one day wondering how I could go to work where I am on my feet for the solid 8 hours to the day after I took the magnesium tablets - not having any feet issues at all

If I was a religious person I would say it was a miracle lol