A new take? Increase dietary fat to reduce impulsivity/binge eating

newbies

(Mother of Puppies ) #1

I lost 40 lbs my first three months of Keto, in 2017.

Have been on a ONE YEAR PLATEAU/REVERSAL recently.

I have been so ravenous for Keto info that I have been taken off the course Dr. Fung set for me by various other perspectives. And I only listen to 1) doctors, or ketoers who follow doctors and 2) ones who use Keto in their practice.

Yesterday, totally defeated, I started a fat fast. My passive-aggressive carb pusher coworker came armed with cake, cookies and my favorite chips to “share.”

Usually I say no thanks and then as it sits there all day I finally give in. Yesterday, NOT! She was confused. :joy:

I’ve been attacking bingeing as if it were a psychological self sabotage issue. I now think it’s physical. Some variation of the cephalic effect described by Dr. Fung. Cephalic phase

This was a ONE DAY turnaround.

I will use this technique on all carb pushers in my life.

***And that bulk sausage/cream cheese combo i read about on here is magic for this. I added jalapeños and made an omelet of it.

Has anyone else used fat fasting to stop bingeing?

@xScarlet - I was having the same trouble with falling off, until followed the steps in this thread.

(Susan) #2

Welcome back to Keto =).

To get back on track just:

do the 20 grams or less of carbs, NO Sugar, lots of good proteins and health fats, enough calories, lots of water and electrolytes/salts and you will get back into ketosis and back on track =).

cronometer.com is a free app that is great for helping you track the macros you are having (fats/carbs/proteins and calories). You could do the egg fast if you want to do a food fat fast =). You only eat eggs, cooked in butter and some cheese for a few days.

Or, you can just get back into regular strict Keto, and then when you are back to being fat adapted, do some normal fasting =). Good luck getting back on track=)).

(Mother of Puppies ) #3

As I stated, regular guidance (carbs under 20) has not worked for several years in my situation.

How can you say what I listed wasn’t a fat fast? At any rate, it worked and I’ll be using it.

Also, none of this is the topic.

(Susan) #4

Fat Fasts are 0 carbs =). If you can do this and want to call it that, and it works for you then best wishes =-).

(Mother of Puppies ) #5

The link I posted says 80-90% fat.

What’s your source?

(Susan) #6

deleted by poster.

(PSackmann) #7

I haven’t used a fat-fast, but I do use fat to combat cravings and to determine if I’m hungry or not. Coconut oil in my desk at work along with salt does wonders. At home,if I’m feeling “nibbley”, it’s time for a pat of butter with some salt. Sometimes just the salt works, sometimes not. Not sure about anyone else, for me fat puts a real damper on any thought of carbs.
I don’t suppose you’d care to share the sausage/cream cheese combo recipe?

(Mother of Puppies ) #8

I found the idea on these forums. (Searching)

Basically I cook a pound of bulk sausage and add cream cheese (and a few jalapeños) to it. Great to stuff peppers with. Amazing in an omelet.

I can’t stomach coconut oil or straight butter. That’s so convenient, though.

(PSackmann) #9

That sounds easy enough for me to do it. Straight for me I think, although stuffed peppers with grated cheddar on top…I might get my family to try that too.

I didn’t like the idea at first until I tried it. Sprinkling salt on the coconut oil really helps, same with the butter. Plus, some of my cravings seem to be salt-related, so it’s a good double-whammy. And no chance of stray ingredients, unlike some cream cheese.

The 'fat fast
os as Candice says, at least 80% fat. No source I know of claims that it is 0 carbs.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

It can be confusing, information on the net. The more used and written about Fat Fast is more like a high fat induction to keto. It is commonly used for quick weight loss for a couple of weeks or as a way to quickly transition into keto eating.

There is also among people already in ketosis use of “Fat Fast” to describe extending your time in autophagy, IF or EF using only things like BPC, MCT or eating small amounts of fat while staying as close to zero carbs and proteins as possible.

To say that either isn’t correct is just arguing semantics. Both fuses of the term Fat Fast are in use among the KETO community currently. I think either could be beneficial for breaking a stall, you’re mixing up your routine.

@Westieholic I would politely ask your passive? aggressive workmate to not bring those things to share with you and leave them in front of your face all day. I think you are doing the right thing Candace, bringing an alternative to combat your cravings. It’s an effective tool for you apparently so a good discovery, awesome you didn’t give in. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

I find, for myself, that while eating to satiety doesn’t eliminate sugar cravings, it does make them much easier to deal with, and fat for me is a large part of eating to satiety.

We have had discussions in a number of threads about how to use the term “fast” properly, and though normally a purist, I just can’t get that fussed when people talk about fat fasts, chicken fasts, bacon fasts, and the like. The advantage of a fat fast is that it provides calories with negligible stimulation of insulin, so it doesn’t (in theory, at least) interfere with the other physical benefits of fasting. I have to confess, however, that I think the term “bacon fast” is silly—just call it “eating bacon,” for heaven’s sake! :grin::grin::bacon::bacon:

So whether eating only fat is your thing, or eating other foods along with your fat is your thing, go for it!

(Susan) #13

Yes, everyone does Keto their own way. That is why I told her if it is working for her, then good luck and go for it.

When we were doing fat fasts we didn’t eat any food, and just ate actual fats with no carbs during that time. As long as everyone can figure out what will work for them, and get them to lose weight that is awesome.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #14

The IDM community loves using Fat Fasts for resets or building up for a long fast, and there’s lots of anecdotal evidence in that community that a fat fast can break carb cravings. I’m using one right now to reset from a summer of near daily drinking and eating outside of my home more often than usual (on occasion not keto, and more often not LCHF).

Here’s another link to Fat Fast info from the IDM folks.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

Dr. Fung also mentions consumption of MCT during your fasting window in this short video, and Ken Berry uses the same technique for maintaining energy seeing patients while doing OMAD to keep the fasting hours benefits of autophagy without eating.

This is the way I use Fat Fasting, and it does kill your hunger. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Mother of Puppies ) #16

Agreed that it can be confusing. I couldn’t find anything definitive from Dr. Atkins or Dr. Fung, so i just cobbled together something based on what I had seen.

The confusion is all the more reason for some rando on the Internet not to come in here telling me I’m wrong about something 1) they can’t substantiate and 2)that isn’t even the point of the post.

Thanks

(Mother of Puppies ) #17

:joy:

(Mother of Puppies ) #18

Thanks! Good to know!!

(PJ) #19

If you eat sufficient food that fills you up, you won’t be noshing for yet more food that doesn’t, even if it’s tasty.

If you can eat this food without going massively over the carb limit of your body’s ketogenic spectrum (I can eat well over 20 and stay keto, but not usually over 40 for more than one day and do so), and if you can do it without doing a massive over-calorie thing (some people eating mostly meat seem to be able to do that without gain but most people I expect will gain if the calories are out-of-this-world) –

then GREAT.

When I was new to keto and would have to go to some family thing that would be utterly stuffed with nothing but grain and sugar dishes (a sad testament to why the entire family is either fat, or diabetic, or depressed, or demented), I would just eat myself totally full at home first. Then I could stand next to cherry crumble pie and chocolate desserts and mac & cheese and big yeast rolls and not even blink. Because I was stuffed. The worst thing is to be hungry even SLIGHTLY and have someone offer you “energy food.”

Now, protein is very filling. But protein is not energy food the way fats are. So for me, I had to be sure that whatever I was eating had some protein and a LOT of fat. Because my body wouldn’t be craving energy-foods when it had lots of energy in circulation.

As for whether it’s ideal or whether it’s more than a few carbs or whatever –

Live to do better another day.
Don’t let perfect become the enemy of good.
You can’t succeed at an eating plan you’re no longer on.

When it comes to whatever you gotta do to make things work for you, probably the best one:

Keep calm and keto on.

:smiley:

(Mother of Puppies ) #20

That stopped working for me.

Have you ever been a binger? I could always make room for cake. :joy: