A new take? Increase dietary fat to reduce impulsivity/binge eating

newbies

(Katie) #21

I get single-serving packets of coconut oil and keep them in the refrigerator. Then I eat them with sprinkled salt. It is such a treat.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #22

Yeah, me too. So far though, Iā€™m able to walk away from carby foods if Iā€™ve been eating enough fatty foods. It used to work for you, and no longer does?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Iā€™ve been surprised to find that, although I havenā€™t always refrained from eating carb-laden foods, I havenā€™t actually gone on a binge yet, thank God. Itā€™s probably only a matter of time, so I do work hard to restrain myself, but the satiation of eating a high-fat diet really does help a lot. Thank God for ketoā€”by rights I should be stuffing my face at Dunkinā€™ Donuts right now. :pray:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #24

My former self would never believe that my current self says, ā€œthat sounds disgusting!ā€

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I know, right?

I was going to say just that. As a sugar/carb addict I can eat until satiated or even far beyond and still want, and psychologically feel like I need, more. As a binge eater, I donā€™t recall ever feeling so full that I couldnā€™t eat more of something that ā€œlooks good.ā€ Even after an entire pan pizza.

(PJ) #27

Hmmn. Yes, yes I seeā€¦

I was thinking of this like a ā€œmake sure you have all your nutrients, energy, and are really full, to make staying on your keto plan more do-able during moments of great temptation like holidays.ā€

ā€œMagically solves massive binge-eating disorderā€ is probably more than that technique is able to handle. :flushed:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

. . . Just ā€œwan more waffer-theen mintā€? :grin:

(Mother of Puppies ) #29

I had drifted into not adding fat

I need to add it to break a carb binge cycle

(Mother of Puppies ) #30

THISSSSS

(Mother of Puppies ) #31

I would never say it solved binge eating disorder. Iā€™m only on Day 2. But at this point, it appears to be working for my particular set of circumstances.

I was wondering if other bingers had observed the same and wanted to give bingers something to search and maybe try. Thereā€™s not a lot of info out there for binge eating disorder sufferers who are trying Keto. Iā€™ve lost six months and this finally occurred to me.

(Jane) #32

Oh there are former binge eaters here who are successful with keto. I donā€™t recall any single strategy that worked for all of them but maybe some will chime in.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #33

Iā€™m a binge eater. Iā€™d say ā€œwasā€, but only a few days ago I let myself get hungry after exercising on a hot day and ate an entire gallon (!) of ice cream.

I mostly eat whole, slightly boring but very filling foods. That way, for me at least, cream cheese in raw sweet peppers is an absolutely delightful snack, for example.

(Jane) #34

IDM recommends fat fasting to break carb additions (but not necessarily binge eating) but they say no dairy.

Soā€¦ no gospel on the definition of a fat fast but glad it is working for you so far.

(Kirk Wolak) #35

Iā€™ve created an Oops protocol to get me back on track.
Part of it now includes 2 days of fat fasting (if needed).

Yes, this is a thing. You MUST use fat to shut off the hunger.
Also, GROW some standards about what you will eat and when. I promise myself I can have that stuff in 6 months if I still want it. So there is BOTH a psychological issue as well as a physiological issue.

FINALLY, do you measure you ketones and glucose regularly? I do. And if I ate junk food, I would screw up my blood work for 3-5 days. To be clear. Thatā€™s ONE splurge/bingeā€¦ Then struggling for 3-5 days through hunger, etc. and my blood glucose is high, and my ketones are low for 3-5 days.

We have DAMAGED our metabolisms, and it will take a while to get them back to normal. Fasting more! Find the WHY that prevents you from eating the crap. Itā€™s hard. The only easy day was yesterday!

(Mother of Puppies ) #36

The dairy is ravaging my skin.

I think early on I was drizzling veg and small amounts of meat with olive oil and salt. That was working.

I really need to reread the Obesity Code.

(Mother of Puppies ) #37

Can you share your whole oops protocol? That would be great to have.

Standards? What are those?:weary:

The ā€œwhyā€ - I had an opportunity a while back to hear the amazing Jackie Eberstein (!!!Dr Atkinsā€™ nursešŸ˜®!!!) give a talk and afterward I told her about the issues I was having. After my health scare my progress was really fast, but after the symptoms subsided I was struggling. I had found an apparent in middle ground where obvious diabetic symptoms were not there, but I still was eating substantial junk and not losing weight. She said I needed to find a Health motivation, because vanity was not going to do it. I absolutely have that. I am approaching the same age my mother was when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I would really like to do a one-week fast to help my mitochondria out. But stillā€¦

I used to measure key tones with the sticks, but of course those lose effectiveness over time. What kind of blood tester do you use?

(Mother of Puppies ) #38

Can you share what your typical weekly shopping looks like?

(Mother of Puppies ) #39

Some of my binges have been truly scary.

And it started when I was five years old. I think Joseph Kraft would have loved to look at my insulin curve.

I was in kindergarten when I got a cold and sore throat. My grandmother gave me a cough drop, and I ate all of them and got rashes.

Even though I was a very slim, athletic child and teen, whenever I had exposure to large amounts of sugar, I ate it all. For example:

[spoiler]Seven huge cotton candies ( I would leave work and rush to a park where they were sold. Sit in my car and order one after another, until they closed. This went on for several weeks/months)

A whole 36 count box of Snickers (33 the first day, 3 the next)

Two huge New Orleans shaved ices in the 40 ounce cups (this gave me a nose bleed.)

I once baked a whole batch of cookies to take to work. The required me waking up at 5 AM and cooking seven to ten sheet pans of them. I allowed myself to ā€œtaste testā€ one of them, and ended up eating them all before work.

There was a time when I would consume several ten count boxes of peppermint lifesavers daily[/spoiler]

Despite the ravage on my stomach, I could not ever stop. I totally understand the people on my 600 pound life. I donā€™t know why my max was only 250. But Iā€™m very grateful.

(mole person) #40

I think Iā€™m honing in on one that works great for me as well. Iā€™m not a massive binger but as soon as I slip a bit I tend to slip worse and worse daily until I get a handle on it and my hunger and cravings drive me a bit mad until I do.

Just a week ago I visited my sister for 24 hours. There were no big cheats, in total I had less than 500 calories in carby foods.

1.5 beer, 3 dates, 1 square of chocolate, 2 chunks of watermelon, and one baby potato. However, when I got home my brain wanted to keep that party going and I started mixing up coconut fat bombs (coconut oil mixed with desiccated unsweetened coconut), something I normally donā€™t touch. Itā€™s not even that good, but I was craving it. Also, I gained the automatic four pounds of water weight that comes with even the small short cheats.

Iā€™ve discovered that the fastest way to kill the craves and hunger and get back to ketosis and dump the excess water (or water plus fat depending on the cheat level) is OMAD plus high fat pure carnivore.

The protocol is simple. I eat nothing but the highest fat content cuts of beef only (rib eye, beef ribs, bottom blade roast), bone broth, and just warmed up solid beef fat. The only seasoning is salt for any of them. I eat it once a day but to my heartā€™s content.

The cravings and hunger dissipate in less than two days and my ketones return to normal in that time. And the weight falls off more rapidly than with any other system Iā€™ve tried. I just keep eating this until I return to my maintenance weight of 104 pounds.

It only works this well when itā€™s nothing but beef, fat, and salt. Any cheese or other food that allows me to make a sauce for the meats totally messes with my satiation signalling. Iā€™ll just keep eating past the point of fullness for that extra deliciousness. When you are properly hungry well cooked beef seasoned with salt is absolutely delicious, but once you are full you just donā€™t want anymore. Itā€™s ridiculously powerful.