70% Fat 20% Protein and 10% Carbs

Can I go for a million times yes?

20g a day is the major figure to concentrate on. FWIW, I eat approx. 100g of greens a day (you’ll have to work out how many cups that is!)

It’s nice to eat the right amount of protein but YOU DON’T HAVE TO.
If you’re hungry between meals, just have a fattier meal next time (maybe a fattier piece of meat, or add mayo perhaps). No real need to count the fat grams.

(Frank) #10

I’ve watched every one of his videos and learned a lot from dr Berg. One of the videos that I watched where I was like huh was the one with the 7 cups of greens per day. I like salads and all but damn. Every once in a while I’ll have a 3-4 cup salad because that’s what I’m in the mood for but that definitely the exception to the rule for me.

(Mike W.) #11

What was her reasoning behind it? Technically you don’t have to eat ANY veggies. Veggies are just carbs.

(bulkbiker) #12

Probably the “Holy Fibre”…

Second ignore Dr Berg and eat some food that isn’t veg

That’s a first. Never heard that before. He seems to have such a large following.

(bulkbiker) #14

the jury is kind of out… personally I’m not a fan… each to their own though…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Simple: Ignore Dr. Berg and limit your carbs.

(Dawn) #16

My post really stirred up some good information about vegetable consumption. I really appreciate all of the advice and all of the differing opinions. I guess I assumed that the difference between Atkins and Keto was that we ate more veggies. All this being said, I’m still figuring things out, and getting information where I can. I was also confused about how to get enough fat in my diet. I hate eggs, and I’m also not a fan of avocado, but I try to eat them more often. I do love pecans and macadamia nuts, but those also increase my carb count, so I have to be careful with that.

This week I decreased my salad and veggie consumption. I fast from 7pm to 12pm. Lunch is typically a handful of romaine lettuce, 3 ounces of steak or carnitas, 1/4 cup of guacamole, and an ounce of cheese. My 3pm, I am ravenous! When I ate more salad, I was satisfied longer.

(TJ Borden) #17

I kinda forgot what the original post was about.

In my opinion…

The difference between Atkins and Keto is really just how it’s interpreted and applied. The induction phase of Atkins IS keto, but most people that did Atkins back in the day bought the book but didn’t read it, and I’m one of them.

Back in 2003 when I did it, the focus was cutting carbs and eating steak and bacon, but the focus shifted to protein because fat was still taboo. We talked about “healthy fats”, but that was still mostly vegetable oils and unsaturated fats.

(Dawn) #18

Everyone’s advice really has helped me with my weight loss goals. I’m losing more like 1.5 to 2 pounds since lowering my salad intake. It I did get a headache, which I contributed to Keto Flu. Not sure what to do about that’s so I decided to nap.

(Ellie) #19

A nap is good!
But also try a bit more salt on your food, and check out a recipe on here for ketoaide. Headaches are usually an electrolyte imbalance.

(Bunny) #20

Macros a waste of time (my opinion)!

1 pound a week is normal anymore than that and it will be temporary[1]. Factor in the water weight if your just starting a ketogenic diet which is most likely half of the weight the scale is showing you lost! Look more at body composition with a tape measure because you will most likely gain more muscle mass and mistake it for weight gain!

References:

1. “… evidence shows that people who lose weight gradually and steadily (about 1 to 2 pounds per week) are more successful at keeping weight off. Healthy weight loss isn’t just about a “diet” or “program”. It’s about an ongoing lifestyle that includes long-term changes in daily eating and exercise habits. …” - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

(Running from stupidity) #21

Which vegetables? This is terrible advice if there were no details attached.

So does Keto Connect.

(Lonnie Hedley) #23

You go girl!!!

(Running from stupidity) #24

Not sure what that means, but anyway - did you even read what I wrote before you went off?

(Running from stupidity) #26

Learn to read whole sentences and not just selectively misquote and then attack people on that basis.

Here’s what I ACTUALLY wrote.

Which vegetables? This is terrible advice if there were no details attached.

See that “if there were no details attached” bit? That’s called a caveat. That gives you the opportunity to tell us what was ACTUALLY said, rather than what you wrote initially, which, as I said, is terrible advice if there were no details attached. Which, once you decided to tell us the whole story, it appears there were. How about that.

You need salt!!! (:

NOT table salt.
Use sea salt or Himalayan salt.

Worst case scenario just do a small spoonful of it…
it cuts the headaches out as well as dizziness if you’re feeling that.

(Lonnie Hedley) #28

I use Redmond’s real salt personally, but what is your reasoning behind not using table salt? It provides both sodium, and iodine.

(Dawn) #29

Thanks for the advice for headaches! I increased my salt intake. It’s kind of hard to get past that mental block when all you hear is that salt causes high blood pressure. Sure enough I haven’t had a headache I started adding salt (Himalayan sea salt) to my ACV /lemon water in the AM. It’s amazing!! Also stopped cramping calf muscles :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

An adequate sodium level also prevents constipation, as well. Amazing, isn’t it?

Of course, muscle cramping is far more serious (especially when the muscle in question is the hear), but Dr. Phinney in one of his lectures tells about advising a friend to get more salt to cure his constipation. Apparently, the friend came back and told him, “I thought you were full of [spoiler]shit[/spoiler], but I tried it, and it worked!” :smiley: