70% Fat 20% Protein and 10% Carbs

(Dawn) #1

Im using CarbManager App and My Fitness Pal App to track my macros. My problem is that I keep going over the amount of carbs I should be eating when I try to follow Dr. Berg’s recommendation of 7 cups of salad greens. What am I supposed to do? Eat 2 avocado’s to balance out my macros? I can’t eat that much. I get full. This is so confusing. Just to give an example, I made a kale shake using 2 cups of Kale, water, lemon juice and Moringa powder for lunch. Then dinner I ate 1 cup of cooked broccoli and 4 ounces of grass fed beef. It said I was over my macros for carbs. Argh!! Is this why I only losing 1 pound a week? I’m also doing IF one meal a day 2x a week, and 2 meals a day 3x a week.

I’m just not sure how much salad and veggies to eat.

(Amy Ramadan) #2

7 cups of salad greens is a lot!!! When I first started I focused on staying at 20grams of net carbs or under, each day and went from there!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Ignore the percentages. Keep your carbohydrate under 20 g/day, that’s the really important part. Eat enough protein—what you used to eat before keto is probably fine. All that carb you’re not eating anymore? Replace it with fat. In fact, eat until you are full and can go for a while between meals.

The idea is to keep insulin secretion low, because that’s the fat-storage hormone. Keeping carbs low keeps insulin low. You have to have some protein, even though it, too, stimulates insulin, so don’t worry about it, just keep it reasonable (but err on the side of too much, rather than too little). And fill up on fat. Note that I am not saying unlimited fat, but enough to still the hunger pangs. Fat stimulates insulin production hardly at all, so it is the safest source of calories, and your body needs to get enough calories in order to be willing to part with excess stored fat. Eating to satiety is the easiest way to get enough without going over. When you stop being hungry, stop eating.

(TJ Borden) #4

Yes! Yes!.. a thousand times YES!!!

(Dawn) #5

So if I am interpreting this right, I’ve been eating WAY too much salad! I’ve been eating 2 cups at lunch and 2-3 cups at dinner, along with 6 oz of protein for the day. I’m going to cut that back, and eat a smaller amount of veggies. Thanks for the tip everyone. Hmmm… not sure how to get more fat in my diet. How much butter and olive oil can a person seriously put on their salmon? hahah

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #6

Since you mention salmon…

I make a salmon salad using grilled salmon, mayo, celery, chopped nuts, chopped avocado, S&P and a little lemon juice. A meal like that has loads of good fats in it!

Serve it on a few leaves of butter lettuce, with some cheese or creamy dressing and you’ll hit your fats. :grinning:

(bulkbiker) #7

My 2 cents…
First stop making shakes eat everything drink water coffee and tea only.
Second ignore Dr Berg and eat some food that isn’t veg
Third up the protein and fat and keep carbs as low as possible.

Can I go for a million times yes?

20g a day is the major figure to concentrate on. FWIW, I eat approx. 100g of greens a day (you’ll have to work out how many cups that is!)

It’s nice to eat the right amount of protein but YOU DON’T HAVE TO.
If you’re hungry between meals, just have a fattier meal next time (maybe a fattier piece of meat, or add mayo perhaps). No real need to count the fat grams.

(Frank) #10

I’ve watched every one of his videos and learned a lot from dr Berg. One of the videos that I watched where I was like huh was the one with the 7 cups of greens per day. I like salads and all but damn. Every once in a while I’ll have a 3-4 cup salad because that’s what I’m in the mood for but that definitely the exception to the rule for me.

(Mike W.) #11

What was her reasoning behind it? Technically you don’t have to eat ANY veggies. Veggies are just carbs.

(bulkbiker) #12

Probably the “Holy Fibre”…

Second ignore Dr Berg and eat some food that isn’t veg

That’s a first. Never heard that before. He seems to have such a large following.

(bulkbiker) #14

the jury is kind of out… personally I’m not a fan… each to their own though…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Simple: Ignore Dr. Berg and limit your carbs.

(Dawn) #16

My post really stirred up some good information about vegetable consumption. I really appreciate all of the advice and all of the differing opinions. I guess I assumed that the difference between Atkins and Keto was that we ate more veggies. All this being said, I’m still figuring things out, and getting information where I can. I was also confused about how to get enough fat in my diet. I hate eggs, and I’m also not a fan of avocado, but I try to eat them more often. I do love pecans and macadamia nuts, but those also increase my carb count, so I have to be careful with that.

This week I decreased my salad and veggie consumption. I fast from 7pm to 12pm. Lunch is typically a handful of romaine lettuce, 3 ounces of steak or carnitas, 1/4 cup of guacamole, and an ounce of cheese. My 3pm, I am ravenous! When I ate more salad, I was satisfied longer.

(TJ Borden) #17

I kinda forgot what the original post was about.

In my opinion…

The difference between Atkins and Keto is really just how it’s interpreted and applied. The induction phase of Atkins IS keto, but most people that did Atkins back in the day bought the book but didn’t read it, and I’m one of them.

Back in 2003 when I did it, the focus was cutting carbs and eating steak and bacon, but the focus shifted to protein because fat was still taboo. We talked about “healthy fats”, but that was still mostly vegetable oils and unsaturated fats.

(Dawn) #18

Everyone’s advice really has helped me with my weight loss goals. I’m losing more like 1.5 to 2 pounds since lowering my salad intake. It I did get a headache, which I contributed to Keto Flu. Not sure what to do about that’s so I decided to nap.

(Ellie) #19

A nap is good!
But also try a bit more salt on your food, and check out a recipe on here for ketoaide. Headaches are usually an electrolyte imbalance.

(Bunny) #20

Macros a waste of time (my opinion)!

1 pound a week is normal anymore than that and it will be temporary[1]. Factor in the water weight if your just starting a ketogenic diet which is most likely half of the weight the scale is showing you lost! Look more at body composition with a tape measure because you will most likely gain more muscle mass and mistake it for weight gain!

References:

1. “… evidence shows that people who lose weight gradually and steadily (about 1 to 2 pounds per week) are more successful at keeping weight off. Healthy weight loss isn’t just about a “diet” or “program”. It’s about an ongoing lifestyle that includes long-term changes in daily eating and exercise habits. …” - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

(Running from stupidity) #21

Which vegetables? This is terrible advice if there were no details attached.

So does Keto Connect.