7 days on keto and lost 7 pounds!

(Mario) #1

Ok so i know this maybe water weight but OMG 7 pounds in 7 days thats encouraging and passed the weekend without falling off the bus no extra carbs no suger dont get me wrong had the cravings there not gone completly but i know i can do better on my carbs averageing 13g and there were a couple days were carbs were 20 is that to much? Iv been trying to count them and keep them very low to none at all but like anything its hard work just dont want to loose this momentum. Bulletproof coffe not my favorite but i have 2 cups every morning and im going to try to fast this week dont know if its a good idea since it my second week but thinking of giving it a shot im fairly new to this keto thing but liking it so far. Also thinking of hitting the gym again but mixed reviews on stressing the body while starting off on keto well this set one back? Also my protien still having trouble keeping it below 120g but work in progress This is a great forum great people great place to be. Thanks to everyone here

(Hoteski) #2

Well done X keep it going

(Jay AM) #3

I’m going to post my general information below that I provide to new ketoers but, let’s talk about a couple things first. If you have any questions, feel free to ask anything.

Yep, water weight. It will likely slow down and some might come back as you drink water but, it’s not worth obsessing over.

Bullet proof coffee isn’t a requirement. You could make bullet proof broth or tea for example. Or, not drink any of it and just get that fat in foods. If you’re a coffee drinker you can just drink your coffee black or with a bit heavy cream. You should consider ketoade though to help electrolyte supplementation if you aren’t doing that yet. And, please don’t fast yet. We don’t recommend it until you are fat adapted. Just let it happen in its own time, you shouldn’t be in any rush.

We have a few sayings here, “keep calm, keto on” and “trust the process.” Keto isn’t a quick weight loss diet. It’s a health gaining way of eating with fat loss as a side effect. If the scale is an unhealthy obsession, put it away for a couple of months or give it to a neighbor you don’t like.

There are two phases to ketosis and a ketogenic lifestyle.

Nutritional ketosis is phase one. Your body begins to produce and uptake some ketones while dumping the rest. It will still search for glucose to use as fuel. In this phase it’s not an efficient process. It has to work actively to get rid of stored glycogen, clean up excess blood sugar, and turn on the ability to use ketones.

Fat adaptation is phase two. Your body is efficiently producing ketones from intake and stored body fat and is also using them efficiently for energy. It takes around 6-8 weeks of strict keto to achieve for many but not all.

The basic “rules” I go by and many others can agree with especially for beginners are:

*20g net carbs max (you might tolerate more but, starting out, 20g net carbs or less will get you into ketosis.)

*Moderate protein (1g-1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight is a good goal based on the 2 Dudes recommendations.)

*Fat to satiety (add fat to every meal and, if you are hungry, eat more fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. It is energy.)

*Do not restrict calories

*Do not exercise excessively

*Drink plenty of water

*Get plenty of sodium and other electrolytes

(Mario) #4

Wow!! Nice information i so apprciate the time to help me out i well take all of this into consideration so i well reduce my keto coffee cause its not to great and well start implementing some sort of electrolytes into my daily routine. Wont fast just yet and well take a closer look at my protien intake. This is really good info thanks so much wht kind of gum does wveryone recommend here i brush my teeth often but ugh cant get rid of the keto breath mouths dry lol

(Dan Dan) #5

Trident and Extra are good :smiley:

I chew even when the flavor is gone because it stimulates saliva which fights bad breath, protects tooth enamel and prevents tooth decay and gum disease. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Nice start!

(Candy Lind) #7

Welcome, @mYg! You got a good start, and a lot of good advice right here. KCKO!

for fat consumption for weight loss, what is the baseline for dietary fat and how far above the baseline can we go? I used a keto calculator and it gave me 98 g of fat a day but I’m being told that’s too low.

I’m in ketosis for at least a month (blood testing ketones) and have been at it for almost 8 weeks but don’t know if I’m fat adapted yet. That said, I feel great but haven’t lost any weight or size. Any thoughts on my fat consumption? Thanks!

(Chris W) #9

Before fat adaption I would not encourage anyone to reduce fat below the maintain level on your macros. One of the most often made mistakes( I made it too) was to cut fat too soon, once you fully fat adapt it much easier to do so. If you do too soon you will slow your metabolism down, this will not result in the best possible fat loss. Other things like metabolic dysfunction and insulin levels can hinder fat adaption. Generally speaking if you are not terribly hungry and you notice you have the ability to do active things like exercise steady state(bike riding for instance) much longer than before keto, you may be fat adapting. Its not very quick of a process even once it starts it takes time to get to full strength.
Cutting fat after adaption still can be a little tricky, it is best or at least for me, to surge the fat levels up and down some. If I plan on fasting I will amp up a couple days before on extra fat, this results in my metabolism going into overdrive once I fast or cut back on fat. Sort of like the spend money to make money saying, you need to eat fat to burn it.

Your specfic macro would require weight, age, BF and activity level.