7 Day Water Fast, Support?

Hello everyone,
I am here on this site to not only learn from you all but to hopefully also get some support for my fasting journey. I have completed short fasts before, 3 days max. My fast includes water, coffee (black), lemon or apple cider vinegar to add to my water and La Croix. I also do take vitamins which include glucosamine, Biotin, and a multivitamin. Does anyone know if it is ok to add a sprinkle of pink Himalayan salt to water?
Unfortunately, I am surrounded by people who do not understand how beneficial a fast can be. This means that I do not have anyone that I can talk to about my fasting journey, either if I feel the withdrawal symptoms or feel that my body is benefiting from numerous reasons.
I ask anyone who is interested to tell me about your fasting journey. How long did you fast for? What helped you keep your mind off of food? Did you have support from family and friends, I am excited to read your stories!

-Joycie

My longest fast has been 22 days, an excellent reset of physical and mental health.

Salt is required, any color works,

My best way to deal with fasting was to continuously take a stance of “am I bored or hungry” and then wait 25 minutes, fasting is very boring but the results are fantastic!

(Diane) #3

My longest fast was 14 days, with several others of somewhat shorter duration. My advice is to keep in mind that hunger comes in waves, usually about the time of day you’re used to eating. If you wait it out, it will fade. The higher your ketone levels measure (if you’re measuring them), the more water and salt you’ll need to take as your body will have a harder time holding onto fluids. The longer my fasts are, the higher my ketone levels end up by the end of the fast.

I take some salt and electrolytes in all the water I drink during a fast. I also put a big pinch of salt under my tongue first thing in the morning and often throughout the day since it’s more easily absorbed there than it is through the digestive tract.

I read, garden, and go to movies (although this can sometimes be tricky without my usual movie “snacks”, depending on how exciting the movie is or isn’t). :blush:

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

(TJ Borden) #4

Not at first. It was after several extended fasts and not dying that they finally got used to it and gave up on trying to discourage me.

I believe even Jason Fung mentioned that sometimes it’s best to just not mention it to friends and family.

yes, exactly, it’s a totally need to know basis thing. Best not to tell anyone except spouse and/or best friend. Get support here or on the Fung Fasting facebook page!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

Absolutly. Salt away!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

I don’t even tell my husband. We don’t eat the same things or many times at the same time anyway, that when we do line up for meals, it’s easy just to say “I’m not hungry yet” or “I can’t eat this close to my runs.”

I know that sounds bad that I don’t share this with my husband, but he was very scared for me continuing with Keto after a moment where I almost passed out and he had to hold me up for like 8 mississippi’s While the room was spinning. That was during my adaptation phase, but he’s been in a quasi state of support yet critical observation of me doing on this WOE.
I just don’t want to worry him more.

I’m sure I’ll tell him at some point. When it will be like “honey, I’ve been doing this all the time. Look how healthy I am? Nothing to worry about.”

Hi, and well done on inspiring me.

I’ve only done 2.5 days, but when fasting I cannot believe the extra focus and intensity I have when doing mental tasks; I literally get sucked in and cannot believe the laser concentration one can have when fasting!

Therefore my small tip; is if you feel you are drifting a little and not doing much but thinking about your fasting, try and find something intellectually engaging to become focused on. You are doing great though, we are all behind you no doubt.

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to thank you all for taking the time to write me back and giving me your suggestions and sharing your experiences. All of the information given was inspiring and has helped me become mentally ready for this fast. I do have to catch up on Dr. Fung as for I have never been any of his documentaries let alone read his work. Have any of you heard of Dr. Edward Group, he is located in California and has done a small documentary with Dr. Goldhamer about fasting. The video can be located on globalhealingcenter.com. I only ask so that you all may give me an idea if those Dr.'s are right or not.

Today is day 1 of my fast, my last meal was yesterday around 6 pm. I have taken the advice to keep busy and find something to be focused on. For keeping busy I am cleaning anything and everything I can. For something to be focused on I am continuing lessons to learn French and I am following an online instructor to learn how to play the Violin. I got a violin as my first instrument, bad choice, but I won’t let it beat me!

The end of my fast will be July 14th, unless I can fast for longer (which I am hoping for). You all have no idea how glad I am that I have you for support. My work is based around food and drink, and I have a strange relationship with food. When I was younger my mother could not afford much groceries, needless to say, school lunches were my dinner. I did not tell any friends and there was no family to go to (they all live in New England). My mentality is “eat it all, you don’t know when your last meal will be!” I do know now that I can afford whatever and whenever anytime I want, but I still need to break this awful habit.

Thank you again, everyone, you are all an awesome support team.

(Toya Pate) #10

Hi. Im new here. And I want to start fasting I need help tho. Just sticking to it. And support Everyday. How did y’all this?

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #11

Hey! I’m starting my first EF today! I think I’ve worked myself up to be ready for 7 days, but we’ll see - I’m ready to quit anytime I don’t feel right. I’m having my “last meal” in an hour or so. I’m really excited!

(Jane) #12

You can find fasting support anytime by jumping on the monthly fasting support thread.

Here is the one for March. Just please blur any mention of food for those sensitive to the suggestion of food. Like talking about what you miss eating or breaking your fast with.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #13

thanks!!

(Shauna) #14

I’ve done a couple long fasts. 10 and 13 days. Definitely much better with salt and potassium. I would take more magnesium for myself next time. My bones hips hurt laying down at night. Magnesium is supposed help with that.
I don’t feel great clarity like many. But the higher the ketones , the less sleep I can get.
I have found is quite healing though. Great for stopping a 3 week migraine.

(Herb Martin) #15

New to this site (came here looking for clarity on DrBozRatio which is a simplified calculation of GKI Glucose Ketone Index.)

Now at 5-days of water fasting heading towards 14-days (no promises, I’ll quit when it’s time.)

At the end of Feb I completed 12-days but (probably) messed up my electrolytes at day 10 so stopped to make sure everything was good.

Went back to the permissive carnivore diet (anything animal) for five days then restarted this fast.

My wife is highly supported as are my 3-best friends who I talk to on the phone (and probably bore sometimes with this subject.)

For many of us, having someone to discuss with is a BIG MOTIVATOR and makes it much easier to continue.

Also, my wife wife was diabetic (T2D) and had a bunch of glucose meters so she’s now doing a light keto and making progress. She gave me one of the meters and we bought a ketone meter to measure that and GKI more accurately to estimate autophagy.

I hit GKI 1.03 (DrBozRatio 19) today for the first time. Edge of deep autophagy.

Herb, Welcome, and congrats to you and your wife.
I would visit the March IF/EF thread that @Janie mentioned above. You’ll find a nice community of folks who are checking in about their fasting, and some who are tracking their GKI.

I’ve started my first 7-day water fast too. Right around same time as you. How are you feeling now? Today, on my day 3, I felt totally exhausted and used one of my work from home days.

(Herb Martin) #18

JanieJane & Madeleine Thx for the tip (visit Mar IF/EF thread).

terp4ever

I feel great – did for most of the 12-day fast last month also. Got wonky at day 10, as a newbie I wanted to make sure so I did 12 & dropped off for 5 days and restarted on the 7th so today is my day 6 (looks like 1 day back from you.)

Now I have my new toy: a ketone meter and my wife gave me a glucose meter. She hit 0.5 ketones for the first time today (on keto.)

I do however work from home every day, and I’ve been on straight carnivore for 8 months so I haven’t even tasted a carb in some time.

Going to fast from carnivore was trivial. Going back to carnivore seemed like the depths of luxurious decadence.

Really felt like “cheating”. :smiley: