5 Day Fast - Anyone want to join?

(Karin Geertsma) #1

After a week long vacation of eating and drinking complete nonsense, my body is in need of a detox! I ate a good amount yesterday (within my normal keto macros) so I’ve decided to attempt my first 5 day fast starting today. I’ve completed a 4 day fast before, so I’m hoping adding one more day won’t be too difficult. If anyone is up for joining, I’d love the company! :slight_smile:

(Duncan Kerridge) #2

I’m in with you, I started a fast today as well - water, coffee and a cup of bone broth each day. I was going to go for 100 hours but happy to change to 5 days. My previous best was 90 hours. I’m on 18 hours already as I’m in the UK.

(Karin Geertsma) #3

Awesome! I’m doing water, coffee, and seltzer water with a splash of fresh lemon/lime in the afternoon so I don’t go crazy with just water :slight_smile: I completed a 96 hour fast last month, and it was pretty tough towards the end. But I am determined and plan on pushing through. I’m 13 hours in, but I normally IF 20:4 daily so today won’t be much of a struggle. We will see what tomorrow brings!

(Duncan Kerridge) #4

We got this :grinning:

Just got back from a 20 mile bike ride, mainly to distract myself over dinner time…

(Brian Walters) #5

Im in! I have been keto for about 3 years. Just learned about the benefits of fasting a month ago.
I am brand new to this forum. I have been listening to 2 Keto Dudes for the last 2 weeks, and I am in love with their podcasts.

Anyways , I have been playing around with IF the last month and did a 48 hr and 60 hr fast. But I just started a 5 day fast 21 hrs ago.

Last meal was Sunday July 16th at 7pm

Let’s do this! We got it

(Karin Geertsma) #6

Good for you! I plan on getting a bike sometime here in the near future. I usually distract myself with a walk/reading in the evenings, then just head to bed early if I’m still struggling. So far so good, officially 18 hours in.

You got this Brian! I started out the other way, discovered IF and then from there got into keto, but just recently started experimenting with the extended fasts. For me it’s more of a mental challenge than physical, but I just constantly remind myself of all the great benefits and it helps keep me going. It’s going to be a good week!

(Brian Walters) #7

Karin, Im with you 100%. The physical hunger has been much less than anticipated, but the mental hunger is what I have struggled with. Seems like sometimes I just start thinking about all the different delicious types of food and cant get them off my mind. But I am realizing that if I keep busy, it is a whole lot easier.

So I use any physical or mental desire to eat as a reminder to do something (pray, read my Bible, exercise, do an item on my to do list, talk to a loved one, etc…)

I had no idea the self awareness I would get out of fasting. Learning how I have been conditioned to eat at certain times or during certain events, when I wasnt even really hungry.

Anyways,
Good night you guys. Day 1 is completed!!!

(Barbara Greenwood) #8

I started a not-quite 7 day fast on Saturday, so I’ll come along for the ride. I’m due to finish on Friday evening.

I am taking 2 glasses of kefir per day as well as tea/coffee, so it’s easier than a full fast - but I’ve struggled so far to get beyond 36 hours with that until now, or even to get beyond 24. So this 3 days (so far) without solid food is a good step for me.

(Brian Walters) #9

Hi Barbara, glad to have you with us.

I ate a diet of almost all fat and eggs the three days leading up to this fast, and so far it has made the first 2 days very manageable.

I loaded up on pork rind pancakes, chia seed pudding, salads with vinegar and oil, Bullet proof coffee (with cocoa butter, ghee, butter, and coconut oil) and eggs.

Seems to have really helped and will make sure i do that again in future fasts.

During this fast: coffee in the morning with a dash of Himalayan salt and cinnamon, green tea at lunch, and bone broth at family dinner. Salt water through out the day

I just found this forum yesterday, and I feel like a big nerd saying this, but its very exciting to see all these people together sharing tips and stories with everyone. I think its because so few of the people I interact with eat a keto diet.

Good luck everyone

(Karin Geertsma) #10

Welcome Barbara! And happy second (or fourth for Barbara) day of fasting!

I always make sure to load up on healthy fats the day before I start an extended fast, and it really seems to help. Barbara, making it 72 hours is an incredible feat, so well done! I tried a ‘fat fast’ only once, and found that having that little bit of calories made it harder to stick to the fast and I ended up not making it to my goal of 4 days, so for me I stick to coffee/water and a seltzer with fresh lime if I need something to break it up.

Brian, I agree completely that we become so conditioned to eat foods as a reaction to circumstances or just what time of the day it is. It’s pretty powerful to realize we can go without and feel fine, if not better, than when we do eat.

Started off the morning with my normal workout routine (I use FitnessBlender.com and love it!) and am feeling really good so far. Let’s keep this going! :slight_smile:

(Brian Walters) #11

Those are my exact thoughts today: “powerful to realize we can go without food and feel fine, if not better, than when we do eat.”

I feel very blessed that so far things are going well.
It’s amazing that I actually feel better today when I’m not eating, than on most days when I am eating.

Yes I have had some grumbles in my stomach, but they are not horrible in any way. And I currently have a euphoric high that feels great. This has definitely been my best fasting experience so far.

Anyways, thanks for all of your comments, I appreciate hearing from you guys

(J House) #12

Hello!

I’ve been eating Keto since May 1st 2016 and I’ve done a 5-day in the past (last summer). I’ve only done this once though.
I typically would fast to break a plateau and that would only be for 48 hours or so.

I do 20/4 IF normally but as time has gone on and I’m very close to my goal weight, I’ve been doing “lazy keto” as it’s called on the podcast (also going out with friends and summertime makes it harder to stick to strict 20/4).

Anyway, I’d like to get back to losing again! It seems that with every new podcast that comes out, the way we think about doing Keto changes (all for the better).

I started a new fast Sunday night at dinner time but wasn’t really thinking of going 5 days, just seeing how long I can go for. I definitely find it harder now that I don’t have as much body fat to pull from.

I’ll try and make it to 5 with you guys !

(Barbara Greenwood) #13

It is weird how easy it is, isn’t it? My kefir is not food, but it seems to be very satisfying. Not sure how well I would cope with zero food for so long - the longest I’ve done a “proper” fast is 42 hours.

What are your reasons for doing this? I lost weight steadily on keto for six months, then went into a prolonged stall - up and down the same few pounds. Then I started some regain. So first task is to get back to my lowest weight (almost there) - and then bust through it.

(Karin Geertsma) #14

I would have to say this is my best fasting experience so far as well! Having everyone here to talk with and support I’m thinking is a big help! I’ve never had anyone to discuss things with before, as most of my family and friends think I’m a little bit crazy :wink:

Welcome JayHouse! The last month or so has been a lot of “lazy keto” for me as well, so I wasn’t sure how this fast would go. So far it’s going great, I say stick with it and we’re here for support regardless of what happens! Just use the motivation of the fast helping to jump-start the last bit of weight loss you’re looking for.

I think whatever fast works for you is the “proper” fast :slight_smile: The more you fast, the easier it becomes. When you feel like you’re ready, you could always give a water fast a go and see what happens. Either way you’re here creating a healthier you and that’s what matters. The podcast talks about fasting as a great way to break through weight loss stalls so I think you are on the right track, here’s cheering for your success!

I’m doing this fast as a detox for my body, and am considering the weight loss as a bonus. My vacation was full of excessive food and drink, and I could definitely feel the effects both physically and mentally (I felt horrible!). I thought once I got back that I could easily transition back into my normally very disciplined WOE, but that ended up not being the case. The cravings for junk were taking over so I decided a fast was the best way to go. That’s led me here and I am already feeling so much better.

(Robert Allen) #15

I am a friend and co-worker of Brian and we are fasting together. We have been ketogenic for around 3 years via an LCHF life style. I am in my mid 60s and now off my BP and statin medicines. This is my first 5 day fast and am approaching 48 hours. It has been very easy. It helps to do it with someone as dedicated to controlling one’s own health via proper nutrition. One warning, Brian was an army Ranger and a five day fast is a “piece of cake” compared to that.

As an anonymous person once said: “Man is the only species smart enough to prepare his own food and dumb enough to eat it.”

(Brian Walters) #16

Glad to have you on board, Jayhouse.

Where is everyone from, curious about time zones

I live in Louisville, Ky

(Karin Geertsma) #17

Welcome Robert and congrats on your success with this WOE, that’s great!

I’m from Southern California, about 1.5 hours northeast of LA. I was actually just in Louisville over July 4th visiting family (that’s the vacation full of nonsense that sparked this fast), it’s beautiful out there!

(Jennifer) #18

I usually fast a few days in the middle of the week - this week fasting today through Friday. I’ll join in!

(Mitch Barrett) #19

24 hours into the fast as of now. The wife is leaving until late Sunday, sooo… I have done 67 hours a few times but would like to do more to try to get over a VERY stubborn weight plateau. Wish me luck and accountability to hold to this with your all. Good luck to you all also.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #20

Just finished day 3 here.
:slight_smile: