5.5 Pounds

(Chris) #1

That’s how much beef I ate this past Sunday, October 8. And I’ll be honest, had I not run out of beef I could have eaten more. Here’s some steak pr0n.

Note: I have a crappy electric stove at home, so I was experimenting with different searing methods. I think the best thing to do now is cover the meat in salt, heat your skillet to the point of smoking, drop a pad of bacon grease in and slap the steak on for a minute and a half-two minutes, flip, repeat, rest, and eat.

ZC What did you eat today?
(VLC.MD) #2

I’m fasting today.
But if I did eat, I think I’d would be a steak.

I like my steak rare.

(Chris) #3

Me too, and actually these were mostly rare and still too well done for my tastes. The outer crust really pops with bacon grease though so I wasn’t too sad. I prefer crusty on the outside, raw on the inside.

I am also fasting today, not eating until Friday.

(Adam Kirby) #4

Seriously how do you eat this much meat? 2 lbs is mostly enough for me for the entire day. What are you 7 feet tall?

(VLC.MD) #5

Love the pepper in those pictures.
My son and I twist on large loads and then we add more.

(Chris) #6

5’9" 160lbs

I fasted 5 days straight and had a lesser day of eating before, plus did a fairly taxing workout Sunday morning.

(Liz ) #7

Looks so tasty!! I can’t do this technique without smoking up my entire apartment and setting off smoke alarms, makes me super keto sad.

(Chris) #8

I had to pin the door open and blow a pedestal fan outside. Wife was not pleased, stomach didn’t care. :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #9

LOL I can picture it! Glad it came out good :smile:

(Damon Chance) #10

Happens every time I cook steak indoors. I got a small gas grill that gets super hot so I can just do it outside now. My wife didn’t complain too much because she knew the goodness that was coming from the smoke.

(Chris) #11

Yeah I’m gonna pull the camp grill around to the front porch for when it gets colder. My stove fan doesn’t vent outside (rental), so the smoke problem will only get worse as the winter approaches. At least with a nicely shoveled deck I can throw on flip flops and cook in my robe!

(Damon Chance) #12

I love to cook on the grill outside when its snowing… unfortunately in my neck of the woods (Oklahoma) that doesn’t happen very often. I think I like the irony of grilling while it snows…

(Chris) #13

Oh yeah, the irony for sure. I’m in the Poconos so I’m sure I’ll have a nice little grillfort built by January. I should invite the local black bears over for a BBQ.

(Erin Macfarland ) #14

I honestly wonder what the effect is on your body fasting for several days and then eating half a cow (:wink:) as opposed to say, fasting twenty hours a day and during the feeding window eating a couple of pounds of steak. How would one even measure the relative merits of those two approaches?

(Roxanne) #15

Same here, and I have a dog that totally freaks out with the smoke alarm goes off. I got a new BBQ with a side sear burner just for this reason!

(Liz ) #16

I tell you what, I love where I live but I would pay for some outdoor space to grill.

(Chris) #17

From everything that I’ve read, you can do well with fat loss utilizing intermittent fasting like the method you described. Most of my fat is now concentrated at my center, mostly in my belly but also not limited to back, chest, thighs too. Extended fasting seems to be the best method to deal with that more stubborn fat. Once I’m at a better % (in my opinion like 15-18%) at the same weight, I’ll probably stick to IF. This is fun though, and I never have to worry about what to have for lunch at work, I eat books instead.

The other benefit to extended fasts is autophagy, where old cells will be recycled. I don’t want to give you an education if you already know about this stuff so if it’s foreign just ask.

As far as how much, I like to think it’s the weight training that’s causing the hunger like that. It’s definitely not sugar cravings that’s for sure.

But yeah, once the stubborn fat is dealt with, hoping for a few more months, then I’ll be more frequent with feeding probably, and instead of trying to abstain from eating for 5 days on end, I’ll eat when actually hungry and listen for those signals more closely.

(Erin Macfarland ) #18

Keto is old hat for me, so I’ll spare you having to explain autophagy lol…just think it’s interesting so many people have such different approaches. I’m back to keto after going through anorexia recovery so I’ve had to modify my eating quite a bit from what it looked like during my disorder. What is great is that there is no single way to reap the health benefits of keto. Everyone can tailor it to their individual needs. But dude…almost six pounds of steak…I don’t think I could do it!

(Chris) #19

I’m so glad to hear this because I’m sure everyone I know hates me for never shutting my mouth about all this great stuff my body’s doing!

Sorry to hear about the anorexia, but very happy to see the word recovery. Eating disorder is something that I do keep in the back of my head, for a certainty. It’s extremely important to re-feed and make sure you’re putting in what you want to get out, so to speak. Mainly I’m following how I feel, at least in regard to how much meat. Could be that I’m trying to “earn it” with a hard workout for a few hours before feasting!

(Erin Macfarland ) #20

It took me a very long time to figure out I was sick. Eating disorders are not a choice, they are genetically based. I’m lucky I am alive. There’s a lot of misinformation out there about them, I’ll be appearing in an upcoming podcast (The Keto Woman podcast, an offshoot of 2KD) and I’ll share my story. I like hearing about all of your interesting experiments!