4th week first cheat!

UGH! I am so mad at myself but I am hoping it won’t hurt me too bad… I got mexican take out and intended to eat fajita meat and fixins with no chips, or tortilla etc… my husband ate my low carb tortillas… I couldn’t pass up the home made tortilla…so I had one fajita and I ate 1 chip and 2 bites of cheese enchiladas…

Question… how long will it take for me to get kicked out of ketosis if that is going to happen? I hope it wasn’t enough to do that…

(TJ Borden) #2

So… after 4 weeks you had A tortilla, a chip, and a couple bites of enchiladas…

You may as well quit keto altogether.

IM KIDDING. Don’t sweat it. This is a lifestyle, life happens. You probably won’t notice anything. WORST case, you feel a little stomach upset for a bit and you’ll feel fine the next day.

LOL… I wondering if I will get kicked out of ketosis… I have ketomoto… how many hours should I wait to test to see if I am still in or not? Thanks!

(John) #4

Skip breakfast and check tomorrow before lunch. Your body will have handled that small amount by then.

(TJ Borden) #5

You might for a bit, but you’ll be back in quick enough. If you’re in this for weight loss, ketosis is a path to fat adaptation. Staying in ketosis ALL THE TIME isn’t critical…or even important.

The only challenge early on is you want to keep… indulgences to a minimum UNTIL you’re fat adapted. That usually takes 6-8 weeks

OK… thanks so much!! The tortillas were greasy…not fluffy… maybe that means less carbs!!

(John) #7

Doesn’t sound like much of a cheat to me to be honest, unless you were already up there in carbs for the day. I’m more likely to cheat by having two salads during the day or maybe some cooked carrots as a side dish, but so far so good, and portion control is key.

(Carpe salata!) #8

That’s not a cheat meal … THIS is a cheat meal! </Crocodile Dundee>

But I agree … you’ll be right by the next day unless you’re recovering diabetic.

If I get too far up on carbs my leg plays up. Check yourself for any warning signs you can use as a red flag. Its a learning experience :slight_smile:

(Carpe salata!) #11

Thought you meant me Regina. But obv it was Texgirl, the OP.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

How long have you been doing keto?

4 weeks…

I am not diabetic. just trying to lose weight! Thanks!!

OH good… I have been so strict!! I didn’t have hardly any carbs today before that meal… I am glad it wasn’t as bad as I was thinking… Thanks so much!

Gotcha! I had been doing so good… super strict… I will test tomorrow and see if I am still in ketosis or not. I hope so… I really have not lost much so I need to get fat adapted…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #17

What Baytowvin said. Four weeks is too early, but I am sure you will be fine. Wait a couple of months before you cheat again. I am at six months and take a few bites now and then - it does lower my ketone levels, but I jump back in a few hours later. Lately considering whether off-plan items are even worth it. Once you are fat-adapted, you can experiment.

4 weeks feels like an eternity! I am shocked I have stuck with it so good so far!! You guys are awesome that have really adapted this to a lifestyle, your normal. I would like to… I am hoping if I can get fat adapted this weight will finally start to come off… that will be much more motivation. But, I do feel better, have more energy crave less, smaller appetitie in general… so I am seeing positive things…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

These forums helped me to stay on track. Please keep us posted on your progress. You can do it!

(TJ Borden) #20

You many end up finding, as many of us have, that although weight loss is what brought you here, it soon takes a back seat to all the other benefits, and it’s those other benefits that keep you here.

Thanks! I will… I just tested on keto mojo and its 0.8… last time I tested it was 0.9 and time before it was 1.1… I didn’t get knocked out but I am at low range… I’ll take it!

We just ate Salt grass and I did good… steak, salad with ranch, brussel sprouts… no bread.

(Raj Seth) #22

Or - don’t check it at all, just KCKO, and if you don’t die in 24 hours, you know you are still in a lipolytic state and are generating ketones as a byproduct.
:grin: