37 year old Single Father Type 2 Diabetic Looking to Do Better

(matt ) #44

@comhcinc and @Rian

Gents we need to get this back on the rails before the post is just removed. Play nice please. No more warnings.

(Debbie) #45

I felt the same way when I first started, I didnā€™t think the weight was coming off fast enough. Iā€™ve been doing keto for 4 months and have lost 24 lbs. I recently had my blood work done. My cholesterol is good now, triglycerides dropped over 100. All my numbers are great. The big thing for me is that I am healthier now. I still lose small numbers weekly, and I am content with that. Iā€™m learning patience and in the end itā€™s all gonna be worth it.

(Stan Brooks) #46

Thanks @Debbie1 thatā€™s been one of the big turn arounds for me. My blood sugar level (except in the morning) are in a complete normal range even without any medication. I have a feeling, just based off my own readings, that I will have a normal A1C when I go back to the doc next month.

(Debbie) #47

Thatā€™s exciting to get the results of blood work. Good luck and keep up the good work

(Rob) #48

Iā€™m with comhcinc on this. While I have the utmost respect for the greats of the keto world (and their books) and in a perfect universe with no time or resource constraints reading all the books would be idealā€¦ I can get so much further and faster with internet research.
You can get not only Fungā€™s fasting info but many others while I cannot tell you how many rabbit holes Iā€™ve enjoyably dived down into science, diseases, history, health policy (around the globe) and all sorts of topics beyond what Iā€™d find in 3-4 books.
Some people are book readers (Iā€™d imagine that many of the older folks here would drift to that paradigm) and some are internet researchers.

Letā€™s not get on folks in a different research camp from our own? Letā€™s keep the vitriol for the real problemā€¦ the VEGANS!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Consensus is Politics) #49

:speak_no_evil:
:scream:
Quick, lock the topic before I get triggered! :confounded:

IM KIDDING! :sunglasses:

Debate is useful. It shines light into areas we donā€™t normally look at. Helps us all understand that dogma doesnā€™t belong here. We seek truth. I dare say most of us here have been lied to for most of our lives about what a ā€œgoodā€ diet is/was/will be(?). Keto is as Keto does. Iā€™d dare to say that if your in Ketosis more often than not in Ketosis, then you are eating Keto, but having set backs, like I did with maltodextrin. I didnā€™t know it had a higher glycemic index than that of plain old sugar. How was I to know. My fallacy was beleiving some of the books Iā€™ve read in the past. Placing certain items as being safe. They should have been called ā€œmostly harmlessā€ leaving a little wiggle room when someone like me ingests it and my BG goes to the moon!

(Rob) #50

THIS!

Keto is such an emerging area, things are moving so quickly, AND everyone is different with various issues, reactions, problems and progress that you have to be really agile if you want all the answers.

(Consensus is Politics) #51

I havenā€™t seen anything recent from Steve on the subject. Just a few years ago when he read a book ā€œpoison cropsā€ or something along those lines. Basically he went very low carb. I donā€™t remember him saying to much about how much fat and protein though. He did mention going into Ketosis. How to tell if you were, and he even came up with a cheap breathalyzer to use for testing.

If you are in the mood for a laugh, and you are somewhat technical like I am, youā€™d love his SecurityNow podcast about the ā€˜portable dog killerā€™.
It reminded me so much of myself when I was a kid playing with electronics. When I was 14, I nearly blew up the house. The only reason I didnā€™t was because I actually decided to go small scale first, and test my hypothesis on seperating the gassed out of water using electrolysis. It worked. I got second degree burn on my finger from the test tube glowing bright orange and sliding out of my fingers. Hydrogen burns very hot and violently :wink:. My original idea was to see how many trash bags I could fill with both gasses and set them off in the open air, letting the hydrogen ones float away, with a string soaked in alcohol set aflame once it was 50 feet in the Air. Iā€™m sure nothing bad would have happened :roll_eyes:.

Iā€™m much more safety conscience now. Iā€™ve even won some awards in the Air Force for weapons safety, by catching things BEFORE they got airborne.

(Richard Morris) #52

So hereā€™s a question ā€¦ should Carl and I write a book?

Summarizing what we have learned doing over 100 podcasts.

(Richard Morris) #53

Everyone will be different. Weight loss is a side effect of gaining control over your insulin. Blood sugar control is also a side effect of the same. But both effects happen at different rates.

I started at 328 lbs, HbA1c 11.2%.

Iā€™m currently 220 lbs, and 5.3% - I take metformin but donā€™t need to for glucose control. If I can do this, anyone can. Oh and I felt like exercising as soon as I got my insulin below the point where it inhibits fat burning.

Yes this is most important, but also the levels of insulin you had to make just to keep your deranged system barely controlled ā€¦ were likely doing vascular damage that could progress cardiovascular disease.

We normally tell people who successfully pull themselves back from the brink, to pay it forward and take personal responsibility for 2 other people and geometric progression will turn this into a grass roots revolution. But in your case Iā€™ll make an exception and suggest 3 people. Your kids likely share your genes for insulin resistance, a lifetime of high sugar and starch will likely put them up against the same brink. They donā€™t have to go as hard core as you probably did, because they are starting earlier.

(Rob) #54

Of course you shouldā€¦ itā€™s how all quacks and prophets monetize their knowledge and insight. :grin:

I would ask your podcast guests since many of them have written books and get the 411 on the pros and cons. It is still a pretty good way to make money which could be employed to further the keto WoE.

(Consensus is Politics) #55

You should. Iā€™m no writing expert, fat from it. But I do read a lot, mostly on my kindle ereader. Itā€™s so handy having 100ā€™s (currently, adding more all the time) of books available at my fingertips wherever I go.

Amazon has a ebook self publication platform. No need to give 70% of what you sell to a publisher. The ebook genres is available on pretty much everything. I have two ebook readers on my iPhone. The iBooks app, and a kindle app that syncs with my kindle reader.

Iā€™m buying books at least once a month. Mostly sci-fi, but the occasional non fiction too.

Iā€™m willing to wager at least 50% of the regular users of this site would by it.

Keto Vitae!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #56

Now where did you ever get that ideaā€¦
Hmmmmā€¦

(Tammy Kidd) #57

<<<<<Patiently waiting!

(Darlene Horsley) #58

Hey nowā€¦
this ā€œolderā€ does both! :blush: But good point.

(Stan Brooks) #59

As anti book as I have appeared in this thread my answer is absolutely. As others have rightly pointed out itā€™s a great tool to reach more people.

I would like to see a format that involves personal stories, plain english science (with links to the papers), and laid out simple rules that people can get start with.

I would buy that bookā€¦and donate to the local library :grin:

(Debi) #60

Love your story! I hope it works for me, too. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

(Consensus is Politics) #61

73ā€™s

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #62

We should really QSYā€¦
:wink:

(Consensus is Politics) #63

Iā€™m not a hammer. Thatā€™s just something I picked up by osmosis over the years.

I donā€™t know many of the Qā€™s. But as a kid I grew up in the CB radio hay days of the mid 1970ā€™s. I had the entire 10 code memorized, as well as Morse Code. I also taught myself the alphabet in signing.

Keto Vitae!