37 year old Single Father Type 2 Diabetic Looking to Do Better

(Stan Brooks) #1

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to take a moment to say hi. As the title states I am a single father with 3 kids (who live with me) all under 12. I started over 335 pounds and am a diabetic who has had an A1C as high as 11.

Before starting keto I couldn’t keep the blood sugar under control. I am the sole support of my children and frankly many months I couldn’t afford to get my medicine. I was just getting fatter and heading toward having to take insulin. I knew I need to change something.

I came across the podcast thanks to Paul Thurrott who mention it on a Windows Weekly. I started checking stuff out and there was the science I needed to be convinced! Thanks everyone who has contrived.

I am still making my way through the back catalog but I started keto a little over a month ago. I am down about 20 pounds, felt the need to start exercising againm and my sugar levels have been almost normal without meds. It doesn’t feel like the weight is coming off as fast as it has for a lot of people but that’s fine. I feel better. My clothes feel better on me. People are noticing the changes, and most importantly high blood sugar level are not slowly killing me.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #2

The important thing is that you’re making progress and you can feel it.
The rest will come off in time.
KCKO

(Tammy Kidd) #3

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Remember this is a marathon not a sprint. Keto for life! Keto on!

(Renee Slaughter) #5

Hi Stan and welcome
Weight loss is a funny thing. its different for everyone. But Keep calm and Keto on.

(Consensus is Politics) #6

I haven’t listened to Windows Weekly in a long time. I found out about Low carb eating from Steve Gibson, another Twit network podcast, ‘SecurityNow!’

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes this past Aug. after about 6 weeks I gave up on the doctors and the VA who seemed not to care for curing, but merely treating
And maintaining it. Yes I said maintaining it. Any doctor or nutritionist that says a diabetic should be eating even a moderately carb diet should be held responsible. It made me furious.

I was close to death, and didn’t even know it. My BG was 594, my HBa1c was 11.8%. After starting Keto I got my BG back down to normal levels. And in two weeks lost 40 pounds. I went from 245 to 205 in 14 days. (And still never get tiered of pointing that out​:cowboy_hat_face:). Someone on the forum pointed out that that’s 18% of my body weight!! And after 4 months my a1c is at 5.8%. So I’m back to being “prediabetic”:cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

You have found a wonderful resource here. Thousands of ketoers ready to help with their own knowledge. Lots of science available to back everything up. That was important to me. I wasn’t looking for a diet or a style to fit with, I wanted cold hard facts. You will get that here, as well as friendly advice.

(Stan Brooks) #7

No and I don’t really plan on it. First not to just lay out some sob story but the kids and I spent most of last year leaving in a cheap hotel because we got kicked out of our apartment. We are not in a semi permanent place but I need to find a place of our own in a couple of months.I don’t make much and can’t afford anything that isn’t a direct help to me.

Is there something in those books that I can’t find for free elsewhere?

Another one I also listen too!. I once listen to just about all the Twit shows but I have made it a point that I really want to separate politics from everything else and while Leo does that not many of his guest and host do. Not even that I disagree with most of them. I just don’t want their jelly in my peanut butter.

Thanks, to you and everyone else. I have been reading over things for a couple of weeks from time to time and yeah it’s what I have been looking for too!

(Darlene Horsley) #8

Welcome aboard Stan! It sounds like you are doing great on Keto! Some of us lose fast… Some of us lose slowly. It just all depends. We are all individual with our own circumstances. Jason Fung MD has several you tube videos as well as a blog since buying his books are not feasible for you at this time. There’s a wealth of information there as well as with 2KetoDudes and many others. You’ve come to the right place. A ton of information, wisdom and support here for you. Congratulations on your life change.

(Candy Lind) #9

Dr Fung has a podcast and a blog; he is heavily quoted & utilized right here and on many other keto sites. One of his tenets is “Anyone can afford to fast!” Just look around here & on the web; as you continue your keto journey, you can start by IF - intermittent fasting - which could be as simple as skipping breakfast. OH - get a free 1-month membership on dietdoctor.com and watch Dr Fung’s videos on fasting. That will get you a good start with no money involved.

I have The Obesity Code and his fasting book. I love them but don’t need to re-read them. If you want them, just send me your address in a private message and I’ll mail them to you next week.

Also, congratulations on getting started! And on finding this forum - you can come here for support whenever you feel stuck or are struggling.

There are lots of great threads for information, but I would also spend some time on the success threads; they’re so inspiring!

(Consensus is Politics) #12

My personal opinion about fasting. Wait until you get your body into Ketosis, or Fat adaptation. I only say this because before I went Keto, I tried fasting several times. I couldn’t go an entire 12 hours without getting hypoglycemic and feeling feint. At the time, I thought that was just normal!

Today, I might start a fast and not even realize I was doing it. I did just over 50!hours recently without any efffort at all. I was never hungry, nor did I feel like I ever needed to eat. I only broke the fast because I WANTED to eat. That’s the miracle part of Keto. You can do that, just because you can. Wife keeps asking me, “why are you fasting again?” And I reply, “because I can”

Keto Vitae!

(Jessica) #13

I agree with this. It comes automatically for many. I can’t count the number of “I’m just not hungry, do I really have to eat?” posts I’ve seen from people 4-6 weeks in to keto on here, MFP and FB.

And welcome!

(Stan Brooks) #14

Thanks everyone. I have been doing IF all my life. Never eat breakfast and don’t eat until after 3 most days (I do have keto coffee).

No it makes more sense to me that things a moving slowly. Rapid weight feels emotionally like a gimmick so I am pretty happy with my progress.

Dr. Fung has lot’s of YouTube vids.

(CharleyD) #16

First off Stan, welcome and congrats on the massive improvements to your life and health!

Yes, most of the science in The Obesity Code is laid out in blog posts in Dr Fung’s site:
https://idmprogram.com/blog/

(Jane Reed) #17

Remember libraries? Those places where you can read books for free? If you live in or near a large mettriolitan area, your branch can order nearly any book if it’s not already in your branch.

(Stan Brooks) #18

Lol I was a history major. I have a very good understand of how libraries work. My question is why do I need to read the book? What am I going to gain from investing that time that I can’t get elsewhere?

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #19

I recently rejoined my library and I couldn’t believe just how much was available as digital e-content. I bought a tablet and by accessing content with my library login, I can read thousands of books, access newspapers, magazines, etc, attend online courses from Lynda.com, access television, movies and music. I was quite taken aback at the sheer selection and availability of the material and I can access it all from any internet connection. Libraries have changed A LOT since I was a kid.

As others have said, don’t pay much attention to the “results” of others, especially in the short term. Some people aren’t telling the whole story, some people retain water or lose water weight quickly, everyone has different insulin resistance, etc. Keep plugging away, you are on the right track. @Madeleine offered you a couple books for free, I’d take her up on that generous offer. Those are both books I’d highly recommend.

(Darlene Horsley) #21

A lot of knowledge backed up by science and an experienced medical professional who is a nephrologist that treats diabetics who have progressed to kidney failure. Insight as to how many scientific reports have been skewed along with an easy to understand mechanics of Keto and why it along with intermittent and extended fasting works.