37 year old Single Father Type 2 Diabetic Looking to Do Better

(Stan Brooks) #22

But I already have access to all that. I am frankly still confused why these books are being recommended.

(Darlene Horsley) #23

Okay so donā€™t get/read the book. It certainly is not a requirement nor will there be a test. :wink: Everyone has their own preference and style of learning. My personal preference is often times more hands on than not. I often retain more with a book that Iā€™ve dog eared pages of and highlighted passages of with a highlighter. Itā€™s more convenient for me to refresh that way than a search bar in a browser. As I said ā€¦my own personal preference.

As to why these books are still recommended ā€¦possibly because they may go more in depth than a website, forum or video has time/space/bandwidth to do.

(Renee Slaughter) #24

Hi Stan,
While I have yet to purchase the Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung, I did purchase his book The Complete Guide to Fasting. And glad I did. It discuss extended fasting for metabolic derangement. Could I have gotten that info elsewhere? Very likely. It is nice to have the reference to refer to when I need to. The book is simple and I am grateful that there are Doctors out there trying to get the information out. Is it necessary to your journey? Maybe maybe not. But fasting from a medical doctorā€™s viewpoint was a help to me. My 2 cents

(Mike Glasbrener) #25

Hi Stan. Iā€™m late to the party. Congrats on getting started and off to a great start! It sounds like your funds are quite limited. As such spend money on good food and take care of yourself. The books organize all the information in a straight forward cogent format that you can use as a reference. But they certainly are not in any way required. Thereā€™s no knowledge encapsulated in the book and proprietary to them. Iā€™ve found many of the current experts openly and freely share their information. The notariety drives book sales. I like to read and gather more information that way. Itā€™s a personal preference. I also look at the book as a way for me to give back to people pioneering this way of life. But Iā€™m in a space that lets me do this.

Keep calm keto on. Everyone here will be happy to help with questions. The search function is also very helpful as the content on the site grows by the day!

(Carol ) #26

I have been where you are! Lots of wonderful info out there Iā€™m now about 130 lbs lighter and about to come off last diabetic medā€¦here for you!

The library is always free.

(Consensus is Politics) #28

I think to answer your question as straightforward as possible as to why certain books are suggested, itā€™s because said books have answered many more questions than have even been asked, or even thought to ask.

Before reading Dr Fungs book, The Obesity Code, I had no inkling that insulin did anything else but shuttle sugar around. Now I know it does a lot more. I.e., insulin blocks fat burning. Ergo, eating 5 smaller meals a day makes it nearly impossible to lose weight. While eating larger meals in a shorter window of time, allows the fat to melt off. I lost 40 pounds in two weeks this way. Indeed folk, Iā€™m still not tired of saying thatšŸ¤ .

No one here (as far as I can tell, and Iā€™ve only been here for about 5 months) is trying to get anyone to buy anything. Thatā€™s one of the under mentioned bonuses to Keto. Nothing to buy. No complicated guidelines that you need a self proclaimed guru to show you the way. Just swap your carb intake for fat intake. That is all you really need to do to get your body into Ketosis. Sure, there are other things to know, like how your electrolytes get used up really fast. And everyone here will just tell you to supplement salt.

As far as all the different books go, Iā€™m pretty sure you can get all the info contained in them from YouTube videos. The only problem with that is separating the gold from the dross. There are people in the internet, believe it or not, who will put up YouTube videos that are intended to muddy the waters, or just to be contrarian to something new.

(KetoCowboy) #29

And in one of his free lectures, Fung says, ā€œYou donā€™t have to buy my book. Iā€™ll tell you what it says
It days stop eating all the damn time.ā€

Since IF saves me money and cost me nothing to learn about, I recommend paying close attention to the Obesity Code podcast that the dudes put out.

(Stan Brooks) #30

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. It seems all the information I need is already available online. I donā€™t have to take the time to parse through a book. I actually looked at the obesity code in the bookstore last night and I found it had a lot of noise to info, for me anyway. If there is something important that I think I wonā€™t remember I can always copy paste it to google keep so I always have the info on me.

I would state it as No one here is trying to say anything. A subtle difference for sure but to me an important one.

(Stan Brooks) #31

Itā€™s on the list. I am still working through the backlog of 2 Keto Dudes.

(Stan Brooks) #33

Evangelical zeal is a thing I avoid at all cost. This would be a very good reason to avoid that book at all cost.

And yet everyone pronounces his name wrong. Itā€™s pronounced ā€œZoiceā€.

(Consensus is Politics) #34

I promise you this, any zeal for Keto you hear from me comes from my own discovery, by my own research (which wasnā€™t even a lot. It didnā€™t take much) into why was my diabetes not getting better? I was following the suggested diet. I was trying to exercise, but it was killing me (figuratively). The more I looked into it, the more I realized the suggested diet was killing me, literally.

I already knew about Keto. I learned it a few years ago from Steve Gibson of grc.com. Heā€™s an electrical engineer, and wasnā€™t afraid to put his own body on the line to test some things he heard of. He explains it all on one of his SecurityNow! podcasts. But I had spoke to the doctors and nurses about it, and they all said, ā€œthat wonā€™t work. At best you can do it for a month, maybe less. It will end up killing you from Keto acidosis.ā€

I already knew they were clueless about it then (or worse, lying about it, or had some agenda). So I took the meds, I tried the exercises, I continued eating the suggested moderately carbohydrate diet. I wasnā€™t improving. I was scared. My research paid off. Eating a Keto diet should improve diabetes. I based this on eating zero carbs. Since it is blood sugar making me sick, what causes high blood sugar? Carbs. Iā€™ll go carb free, and see what happens. In two weeks I lost 40 pounds. On 17 October 2017 I weighed 245 pounds. On 31 October 2017 I weighed 205 pounds. Thatā€™s no typo. I lost all that weight and felt fantastic. During that time I was eating about 3,000 calories a day (I made some mistakes in measuring my meals. I was aiming for 1,500 a day, and that twice a day). AND NO EXERCISE. I was about as sedentary as I could be without being in a coma. So all this poundage coming off was strictly from diet. Oddly I didnā€™t gain any eatingbso much. But I didnā€™t care. It worked. During the beginning of my choosing to eat Keto I found this website. It validated, well, it agreed with the thing I already discovered on my own, and then some.

Before coming here, my zeal was like a new Christian convert. I was telling everyone I knew how Iā€™m beating diabetes. You will even find some of my posts here where Iā€™m pissed off at my medical providers because of them being clueless about Keto, and having their patients eat a carb heavy meal, and suggest they do it 5 times a day!! Itā€™s the same as telling a patient to go run a marathon, the day after heart transplant. After all, exercise will make it stronger right??

I strongly suspect any zeal you get from here might be similar to mine. I donā€™t blindly follow anyone. Or anything. I ask questions. I put myself into situations to see how things will play out. I dig into the data looking for ā€˜what ifsā€™.

Good on you for keeping skeptical. If only more people in this world would do that and not believe what ā€˜academiaā€™ tells them without question.

Oh, yeah, and sorry for the wall of text. I tend to get verbose at times. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Diane E Matters) #35

Iā€™m in the same boat financially. buying books, even 2nd hand, is not in my budget. Ive found my local library a great resource for ā€˜book in handā€™ and I access their Hoopla platform for free Ebooks from home. This has been a boon for information on top of this community of VERY informative, helpful peopleā€¦ Iā€™ve found that the free books and free ebooks have been a nice ā€˜extraā€™ resource for meā€¦

Fyi, the entire Obesity Code book is available in audiobook format on YouTube. Itā€™s about 10 hours long. There are also a ton of other Jason Fung videos and lectures posted on YouTube as wellā€¦ and of couse thereā€™s the Obesity Code podcast. :slight_smile:

(Stan Brooks) #37

Good to know, Audio books fit my lifestyle much better. Frankly I donā€™t even have time to read for enjoyment right now.

I listened to a couple while I was working last night ( I work in a call center and most of the time this isnā€™t possible) I did find them informative

Just finished the first episode last night.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #38

Wow! I had no idea Steve was a keto fan. Iā€™m reading his posts on it now. Good stuff!

I havenā€™t met or read about very many highly successful people who attribute their success, knowledge, and expertise to information they amassed by casually perusing the Internet. Yeah books cost money but knowledge is one thing Iā€™ve never wanted to skimp on. An audible subscription for $20 a month gives me access to at minimum 3 new books a month, all consumed while Iā€™m fighting Seattle traffic. Combine that with podcasts, Youtube videos, analog reading at times, and random Internet stuff including this forum I have tons of good information coming in without a lot of the noise the Internet is famous for. You can learn a lot of things from the Internet, but you can also ā€œlearnā€ a lot of things wrong. As for sifting through millions of webpages of information to extract the info you want? Well, thatā€™s certainly an option but I guess one has to decide what their time is worth and if they believe they can extrapolate the important details from important documents better than a doctor, scientist, historian, etc.

(Stan Brooks) #40

I havenā€™t met or read about very many highly successful people who attribute their success, knowledge, and expertise to buying books.

You can learn a lot of things from books but you can also ā€œlearnā€ a lot of things wrong.

As for sifting through thousands of pages of books of information to extract the info you want? Well, thatā€™s certainly an option but I guess one has to decide what their time is worth and if they believe they can extrapolate the important details from important documents better than a doctor, scientist, historian, etc.

See @Robert_Johnson while there are not people trying to sale me things there are people trying to get me to buy things.

A lot of the info you are getting in places like this forum comes from what people have learned from the books you are so desperately trying and failing to disparage.

I guess if you donā€™t count Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Elon Musk, or many others lol. Now youā€™re just embarrassing yourself. You might want to let this go.

Earlier in this thread someone offered to send you the books for free. Do you not recall that? The library was also suggested. It seems you are having difficulty sifting through the information on this thread, may I suggest a re-read?