32 day ZC Variable Protein Test

(Meeping up the Science!) #90

Scientist, engineer, or programmer? It’s a beautiful graph!

Kidding aside, that is so fascinating, Fiorella! Interesting correlations, as well. I’ve been tempted to try something similar, however I have a deep loathing for unincorporated eggs that is only surpassed by my hatred of vegemite and reality television. I might have to give it a shot anyway.

Haha. I’m busted! Yes, I’m an engineer.

Skip the eggs if you don’t want to do them. Feels a bit like food jail going through this, but now that it’s done, I’m glad.

I was a bit surprised with these results. It’s going to influence my food choices going forward for sure.

I will be interested to see what happens during the one month beef trial now.

(Meeping up the Science!) #92

Heh. Well, it was way too nice to be done by a programmer! (Sorry, programmer guys!) Engineers always have the best graphs… and we just wuss out and use SPSS to do ours.

So here’s my question, Fiorella: what part of your 32 day challenge did you enjoy the most?

I loved the ability to share my experience with this community, listen to feedback, adjusting according to the feedback, being challenged to cook with very little wiggle room with ingredients and still trying to make it look and taste good. I know I have formed a lot of opinions through the years and believe them to be facts…so, it blows me away when those “factoids” turn out to be untrue, or not quite right.

This journey has uncovered even more questions and basis for additional n=1 testing. I’m very grateful to this community to share this journey with me. I learned a whole lot more with all of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. In fact, Donna. Even this question you are asking me is forcing me to reflect and learn. So, thank you for that, too.

Carnivore / Zero Carb March 2017

As I read this description, & having noticed you’d experienced some discomfort that day, I wondered if you might have a sensitivity to the cumin seed or mustard seed, rather than the dairy? Especially as the following days you didn’t have the discomfort with cheese. Just a thought :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think you are correct. The spices are likely, and not the dairy. At the time I jumped to conclusions, but not realizing that later on in the journey, I was ok. Also, the earlier episode when I experienced the discomfort was after day 25, when I ate soft cooked eggs with a variety of pepper spice (paprika). Perhaps it’s the paprika? Since it is a nightshade member, it definitely gets scrutinized, too.

Thank you for writing such a detailed, helpful, easy-to-understand way. I feel much more confident about joining in Zero Carb March having read this post :slight_smile:

I don’t know much about it, but my instincts jumped on ‘mustard seed’ as a culprit. I think I must have been told about this as an allergen by someone at some point! Anyway, Google polyversity has content on both mustard & cumin, so they’re looking likely. Interesting what you mention about paprika & nightshades - are tomatoes in the nightshade family too? I notice they really upset my digestion now, and that’s cooked in a sauce which I didn’t use to notice an issue with … but that was when I had so much grain inflammation any other issues wouldn’t have been noticeable :wink: x

Yes, tomatoes, peppers, egg plants and potatoes are all night shades I believe. People with severe food allergies, and other ailments, like Hashimoto’s syndrome, need to eliminate nightshades from their diet. These plants are of American continent origin, so possibly someone with no South/Central American blood lineage could have problems with digestion? I dunno. But, nightshades are known to cause inflammation.

I will definitely still keep an eye on other spices, like cumin and mustard, too. Repeated upsets would definitely confirm this issue.

Ah, yes - nightshade family potentials for upset. Well I’m in the UK with
typical Irish-descent pale white skin & dark hair (although mostly grey
now!) so I think it highly unlikely I have any north American blood in me.
Time to get testing :slight_smile:

Thanks for the extra info & musings. I’m inspired to take on some very
detailed n=1 experiments isolating specific foods after reading this post &
seeing your colourful graph :wink:

I’ll have to prepare well for the pissed-off-ness of food jail, cos I can
already sense I’m going to kick back with that one :joy::joy::joy:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #100

FUCK me that looks so good =

[spoiler ] BAD WORD [ /spoiler]

Brenda is the hall monitor tonight. :smirk:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #102

Just doing my FUCKING job.

Yes, and you are fucking brilliant at it, too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #104

STFU and look at my fucking tart, it’s fucking gorgeous.

That fucking tart is badass italian nonna approved

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #106

Is that your grandma for realz?
She’s BEAUTIFUL!
I LOVE IT!
GIVE HER A HUG FROM ME!

(Scott Shillady) #107

Where’s the Fucking Tart recipe, you tart??

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #108

You ever think to fuckinglook in Recipes recipes recipes, you crazy ketogenic tart monger?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #109

Sheeeeeesh. I have to do every fucking thing around here…