3 day Fasting

(Karla Sykes) #1

I think I’m going to go on a 3-day fast. I am watching this documentary on fasting on Amazon Prime and it is so interesting. In the health benefits are amazing but I’ve never done it before I am going to see if I can do it. I’m going to start my 3-day fast on Monday

Good luck to you, Karla! I think fasting is amazing.
Keep up your electrolytes; they make all the difference.

(Karla Sykes) #3

I am watching this documentary on Amazon Prime call fasting it is so insightful and I feel very positive I never did this before in my life so I’m going to try it I don’t know if I’ll succeed but I will try

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

Don’t forget it’s ok to bail on the fast if you start to feel bad/ill. If you can, it might be helpful to take a few BG/BK measurements during your fast. :grinning:. Good luck.

(Karla Sykes) #5

You are so right and I’ve never done this before and I barely get through intermittent fasting. So this is definitely going to be a challenge but I’m watching this documentary and it’s downright inspiring

(Allie) #6

Can I suggest you first aim for 24 hours and extend from there based on how you feel? If you’re not used to fasting, 72 hours is a steep goal that will take time to build up to safely.

(Karla Sykes) #7

I will try 24-hours first and build up to it you’re completely right I struggle with just eating

(Karla Sykes) #8

This show that I was watching on Amazon Prime was stating that if you do a 3-day fast you can eliminate a lot of your food cravings and it will reduce an unhealthy relationship with food

(Joey) #9

@Karla_Sykes That sounds like a wise approach. See how One-Meal-A-Day works once or twice a week for a while. That’s also a fine way to test the boundaries of your feelings (physical, emotional, spiritual) around food.

Some of us “lean mass hyper-responders” have a hard time fasting (we don’t have quite as much body fat to draw upon), so listen to your own body and adjust plans accordingly.

Best wishes for a successful fasting experience!

(Allie) #10

I’ve watched it before and done many three day fasts, but didn’t have any cravings to start with so can’t advise on that.

(Karla Sykes) #11

The problem I have is with food addiction. I enjoy eating and I enjoy eating terrible food it wasn’t until I discovered keto a year-and-a-half that I finally am able to eat to live vs. Live to eat

My even longer fasts surely didn’t improve my relationship with food, well I ate HCHF at that time and didn’t even want to improve anything, I knew nothing back then… I don’t think fasting has much to do with cravings, they can easily come back but surely people are different and not resuming eating things after the fast might be easier… Either way, fasting has benefits, I plan to do 2-3 day long ones occasionally myself! Only without force, I stop if I feel I can’t do it feeling well and of course, I know about electrolytes now… Being really determined is a nice time to attempt a slightly longer fast, good luck!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

If you feel hungry or headachey, have some salt and wait a bit. Distract yourself with something else and give it a half hour or so. If you still feel hungry after that go ahead and eat. Sometimes it’s worth the effort to push thru hunger based on time of day or lack of electrolytes. But real hunger will stick around, so listen to that feeling. If you find there is a number of hours hard to get past, time your fast so that time will be while you are sleeping.

Also remember that while fasting is great for some, it isn’t for everyone. In an experiment, all results are success. It may be that you successfully discover fasting is a powerful tool in your health arsenal. Or you may successfully discover fasting is not for you.

(Bob M) #14

The worst day of a longer fast is often day 2. Days seem to get better after that. That is, if you can hit 3 days, you can likely hit more, say 4.5 or 5 or even 7 days.

The issue is, however, that once you mentally break, you break. So, if you’re prepared for a 3 day fast, that’s all you’ll do.

(Karla Sykes) #15

So far I’m doing pretty good the last time I ate was it yesterday and I don’t even feel hungry it’s weird but I missed the sensation of eating a meal

(Allie) #16

That’s actually pretty normal @Karla_Sykes
Many people miss the sensation of eating while not actually feeling hunger. You’re doing great :grinning:

(Jane) #18

I miss “eating” also when I am fasting and not related to hunger.

I watched the fasting movie and the most amazing story was the woman who healed her head from an old car injury where she had a headache 24/7 for over 16 years. I cannot imagine. What struck me was it took two 40-day fasts to heal her injury… but once she was healed her headach never came back.

Not that I ever plan on a 40-day fast LOL… but I got to thinking of people here on the board who stall out for long periods even when eating strict keto. Unfortunately we don’t know what our bodies are doing internally or other healing that may be going on and given priority over fat loss.

We tell people that they may be healing to encourage them even when we don’t know for sure… but it could be very true in many cases. Without feedback we are just guessing, but this woman’s story just shows how long it can sometimes take.

(Windmill Tilter) #19

Update? How did it go?

(Karla Sykes) #20

It went really well at first I was only going to do a 24-hour fast but after 24 hours I no longer feel hungry. I think it was from years of yo-yo dieting where I would go a couple of weeks without eating and then I will eat a lot so in a way I was already used to fasting for my years of terrible dieting. I made it to the third day and probably could have went longer but it was only a three-day fast so it went really well.

(Windmill Tilter) #21

That’s awesome. Congrats! :+1: