3/6/2017 Continuing Steak Challenge Thread

challenge
steak

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

I started a new thread since the last one was a bit…unwieldy.
(Follow Brenda’s daily steak journal HERE if you want to get extra geeky:
Brenda's personal 30 day steak challenge journal )

So far, lost 3" in the waist, and 5 pounds (since the 28th). I gained one today. I am not surprised by the poundage, but I am shocked at the 3". I can only blame plants for that, much to my dismay, as I don’t want to eliminate all dairy. Increasingly this appears prudent.

Dinner is a 5oz sirloin tip roast. Butcher left the fat trimmings on. Later will be a 10oz ribeye with the untrimmed fat.

Liquids: 24oz coffee, 72oz water.

2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge
(Genevieve Biggs) #2

Yay! ZC works. :sunglasses:

(Meeping up the Science!) #3

@Brenda has officially joined Club Nerd.

Stay a while, and try the graphs.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

Must.
Learn.
This.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

Currently noshing on raw salted porterhouse cubes. Why? IDK. When I was ZC for seven months I took to eating a half pound of ground beef daily. Obviously something I need…

I’m confused. Do I post the steak challenge progress in this thread now? We stop in the former one?

Day 7 - Beef heart fried in tallow, and tenderized chuck steak fried in tallow

Beef heart:

Tenderized chuck steak:

(Adam L) #7

Hi @Donna, have been following the steak challenge with great interest, sorry if this is a stupid question [quote=“Donna, post:1, topic:8690”]
but I am shocked at the 3". I can only blame plants for that, much to my dismay, as I don’t want to eliminate all dairy. Increasingly this appears prudent.
[/quote]
Does this mean you’re happily shocked at the 3" reduction and that you’ll likely begin eating dairy after the steak challenge but not plants? Well done on your results.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

Down another half pound today, and trust me, go see my steak journal, I totally ate beyond satiety yesterday, consciously.
That’s 6 pounds lost since last Tuesday.
W00T!

But remember boys and girls, this isn’t about weight loss…
#giggle

(Bob Weiman) #9

Do you think the raw craving is due to nutrient loss during cooking?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

Heehee I doubt it. Have you seen my steaks? Most are blue rare.

(Melanie Marie) #11

my children and I eat our steak rare-blue. It’s the only way! the texture and flavor are the best.

(Melanie Marie) #12

We have the worst time at restaurants. They just always over-frickin-cook it. Even when they are cooking them in front of us, and the little one will say “it’s done! yum!” they just smile and leave it on. ? Then we have a med-rare slab of what mine as well be jerky! We never send them back, because I hate to waste, but dang. It’s easier to cook it more than UNcook it! Why not just make it blue like we asked. (sorry, biggest pet peeve, and we eat out probably half our meals, so it’s always an issue)

(Bob Weiman) #13

Good point. I’m just always intrigued by food cravings. Pre-keto, I sometimes craved things I was allergic to or sensitive to, which always seemed bizarre to me. Now with keto, most of what I crave seems to be more associated with what I need.

(Meeping up the Science!) #14

I will probably severely limit dairy again. I am very sensitive to it, so it seems. I am not sure whether I will eat plants or not after. I try to minimize those too, however I do have food addiction issues, so sometimes I make mistakes. I will likely continue to strive to not eat as many, for sure.

Surprised at the inches lost very much so. No complaints here on that front :stuck_out_tongue:

(dawn.hakala) #15

so just got done with my lunch hour… decided to go balls to the walls with steak… between a ribeye & a NY strip I had 15oz steak & 3 pieces of pork belly… that’s a lot of meat… now, I have my strength class tonight and I’m usually hungry after… fingers crossed I’m not :slight_smile: I will say, I’m lovin’ the Ribeyes tho!!!

(Michelle) #16

So, this is where the Zorn steak challenge continues?? I am glued to this, so I have to bookmark so I don’t lose the conversation. :smile:

A new place called BlackRock just opened near me. You basically cook the meat yourself on a lava rock, so you chose when it’s done.

http://www.blackrockrestaurants.com/

Strange though, I usually go to places so I don’t have to cook. :wink:

Just wait, one day they will make you wash the dishes

(Meeping up the Science!) #19

I switched my steak challenge here because my original topic has too many replies and takes forever to load even with 32 gigs of ram and fast internet :stuck_out_tongue:

I had one sirloin tip steak and will have a second later. Cooked in tallow that came with the sirloin - the butcher packed it with the steaks for me. Tomorrow is a ribeye and perhaps a chuck steak (not roast).

Not weighing again until Friday. Inflammation seems low, and swelling is non-existent.

And hey, if you’re interested, Brenda’s journaling all her foods with weights here:

Day 8 - I think tonight, @Brenda will be very pissed off with me and petition to kick me off the island. I ate beef carpaccio…yeah, that’s right. Not ZC. Fuck it. I wanted beef carpaccio, I ate beef carpaccio. But, more importantly, this month long beef thing has pulled me away from photo documenting keto recipes, which I LOVE to do. I was going to eat a ZC version of carpaccio…but then I just said fuck it, I’m goin all in!!!

I also ate leftovers from yesterday (about 1/3 of the heart and chuck steak I fried yesterday).