2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge

challenge
steak

(AnnaLeeThal) #299

Oh. Negative of course. My sister and her babies had the stomach flu over the weekend.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #300

Not sure if I should like, or dislike. Maybe dislike would’ve been more appropriate…
:frowning:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #301

Continue this thread HERE:

(Richard Morris) #302

When you drop from the 20g or so of carbs you were getting in vegetables, you can tolerate more protein to secrete the same amount of insulin. 40g extra protein (protein is 1/2 as insulinogenic as glucose) is probably 200g extra steak without provoking more insulin.

But I doubt anyone by @amber will be on the steak challenge long term and so in the interest of changing things up I’d not worry about counting protein or fat calories and see what your body does. @Brenda’s is obviously running her furnaces at full speed with abundant calories and she is losing remarkable amounts of weight.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #303

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME

…though I’ve since decided so much extra protein is a waste, and am currently upping my fat on my steaks to reduce it…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #304

You guys. @DawnH.
Please continue this discussion here(it is the most current):

I always have glass (or 2) or Cabernet with steak… is this in rule book?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #306

NOT.
Allowed.

…off experiment? So do I. Love a dry red. :heart:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #307

STEAK CHALLENGE CONTINUED HERE:

(eljay716) #308

Got home hungry, didn’t cook today’s ribeye. Ate that whole damn thing raw.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #309

@eljay716
Welcome to my world.

(Steve Stephenson) #310

That contradicts Vilhjalmur Stefansson’s experiences living with and as an Inuit:

The Fat of the Land (Locations 1551-1553, Kindle Edition):

The way in which Eskimos divide, for instance, a caribou between men and dogs has been described with some detail; here the fact is emphasized that the organ commonly spoken of as richest in vitamins, the liver, is nearly always given to the dogs— as are the sweetbreads and, indeed, all things from the body cavity except the heart and kidneys. The kidneys are usually given to children, somewhat as if they were candy. So far as I know the Eskimos of northern Alaska and northwestern Canada, and the forest Indians just to the south of them, the only condition under which they ate nearly or quite the whole caribou was in time of famine. Ceasing to give the dogs the parts which normally are theirs was that stage of a famine which immediately preceded the killing and eating of the dogs themselves.

(Todd Allen) #311

Thanks for posting that piece from Stefansson’s book. I haven’t read the original, just bits from others referencing it.

Here’s a passage from The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living 2011 Stephen D. Phinney, Jeff S. Volek

Among the Inuit, when a seal or caribou was killed, the fat was saved for human consumption (or lamp fuel) and the leaner parts were given to the dogs (or any gullible ‘white guys’ in the party). Farther to the south, when a spring buffalo (i.e., one that had yet to rebuild body fat reserves after the winter) was killed on the Great Plains, the humans ate the tongue, liver, and marrow. These tissues tended to retain their fat content even during periods of privation. The lean meat was either dried (to serve as an emergency food source) or fed to the dogs. This differential partitioning of the kill actually makes a lot of sense, as a dog’s metabolism is much more tolerant of a high protein intake than is that of a human.

And here’s a blurb about Vilhjalmur Stefansson eating organ meats while proving one could survive on an Inuit inspired no carb diet, from http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox/ (I’ve read similar elsewhere but this was the first referenceable source I stumbled upon)

“In 1928, to convince skeptics, he and a young colleague spent a year on an Americanized version of the diet under medical supervision at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. The pair ate steaks, chops, organ meats like brain and liver, poultry, fish, and fat with gusto.”

I’ve read in other places of the Inuit making bone broth and eating whale skin. If you think it important I can attempt to find other references.

I should not have said they ate the whole animal, but rather they ate multiple parts from multiple species coming from a natural intact ecosystem as in contrast to only eating steak. For 30 days, deficiency is not a major risk as people can fast for that period of time without suffering diseases of deficiency. Protein poisoning, aka “rabbit starvation” is perhaps a risk but Brenda shifted to higher fat cuts of meat avoiding that problem.

(Steve Stephenson) #312

Here’s the scientific study report: http://www.jbc.org/content/87/3/669.citation

Reading it I found only one anomaly, both men’s calcium intake was negative. Searching The Fat of the Land I could find no apparent source of calcium. I was thinking that over a year there might be a seasonal diet item high in calcium that the men would stockpile in their bones, but I couldn’t find one. Still a mystery.

I like the Discover Magazine article.

(Todd Allen) #313

Was there any mention of eating small fish in The Fat of the Land? Small fish eaten whole such as sardines and anchovies, etc. typically have good calcium content.

Thanks for finding and posting the link to the study at Bellevue Hospital. It’s amazing that stuff going back so far is now available in .pdf form on the internet.

(Steve Stephenson) #314

I can’t find any. There are discussions of eating decayed fish as a delicacy.

(Charndra Pile) #315

Hi, the vacuum packing, can you please tell me a bit more about it? It it to prevent freezer burn, or is it to sous vide? I do not have either, so am wondering about the benefits, reasons behind the option. Thanks!

(AnnaLeeThal) #316

Both. It works well to prevent freezer burn, and I can just toss the package in the sous vide.

(Steve Stephenson) #317

Me too; I add 1+ tbsp of tallow for each oz of steak.

(Steve Stephenson) #318

I remember a story about Eskimos (Inuit?) netting great quantities of a small oily fish every year. I think it was from Dr Phinney because he said the oil was very close in composition to human fat. The dried fish were so oily they could be used as candles. The fishermen would render the fat and trade it with more inland peoples.

These were ocean fish so had a lot of salt in them – is this where the Eskimo got their salt? The need for salt would explain overcoming any aversion to eating rotten fish. And yet they may not have gotten enough as Stefansson says the Eskimo’s life expectancy was about 10 years less than Americans at that time.