3/6/2017 Continuing Steak Challenge Thread

challenge
steak

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #203

Day 30, March 29.
Ketonix flashing 2 red.
Heading to the grill. But FIRST:

Wagyu sirloin. It was all they had. I would have bought a Wagyu NY strip or ribeye. The upside is, this was $10 less a pound.
It’s grassfed. Can you tell?

(Brian) #204

I’m sure I am Very insulin resistant.

I know when I did my variation of the Atkins induction diet I ate way more protein than most people and did fairly well with it. For many years my protein consumption has been much higher than “normal people’s” but I lost weight. I’ve never feared the fat but more recently have upped the fat and backed off the protein, that is until I started following your steak challenge. Thank you!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #205

Day 30, March 29.
Ate all but 3.5 ounces of the Wagyu.

Floyd loves the meat juices. I was generous and let him have it all!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #206

Day 30, March 29.
Needed some more fat. Sirloin is lean, even Wagyu sirloin.
Cut two small tails off of two small ribeyes. Couldn’t finish 2.5 ounces of it.
Total steak consumed today including Wagyu and ribeye tails, 1 pound, 7.2 ounces.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #207

#End of 30 day steak challenge. :zornface:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #208

:floyd:

(Meeping up the Science!) #209

I’m buried in hubris from RL stuff. I will be continuing zero carb, and I did eat steak continually.

I also supplemented with my vitamins: 2x Centrum daily, extra iron, calcium, and vitamin D/K/Magnesium blend.

I will be continuing zero carb after this week, probably.

(Henna Selnes) #210

I have injoyed this thread. Thank you for doing this and posting your results! :ox::plate_with_cutlery:

(Alex Dipego) #211

The color on that sirloin was unreal! It looked beautiful. Thank you for showing us how its done!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #212

Having realized my body is in a “pure” state, I decided to take advantage of this opportunity to test for food sensitivities.
I will test each food three days and watch for any signs of intolerance such as BG spikes, quick weight gain (indicating inflammation), mood, sleep, digestion, etc.
I will be testing at least 20 different foods including eggs, nuts, artificial sweeteners and both cruciferous and nightshade vegetables.
I am starting a new topic and will link it here.

(Michelle) #213

Cool!! Can’t wait to see what happens as you start to reintroduce different foods.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #214

(Roxanne) #215

Congrats, well done!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #216

Just got my lab results!
I had a full blood work including lipid panel drawn the last day of this challenge, just this past Wednesday March 29.
LDL 111
HDL 35

I am calling my doc and having a retest on Monday.
The low HDL makes no sense at zero carb these last 30 days.

Here are my labs from 3 months ago eating a regular ketogenic diet, also very low carb(<5 net), same protein grams though various sources of protein, I also practiced 20/4 IF then. The difference is, I ate on average 50 more grams of fat a day on this steak challenge to feel satiated.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #217

Testing blood glucose 4 hours post prandial as suggested by Dave Feldman, @DaveKeto the lipid professor :wink:
I had tested 2 hours post prandial many times during this steak challenge, and even at half hour intervals. I have shown no blood glucose spikes, blood glucose has remained steady, and I have had consistently high ketones.

Tonight four hours post prandial my blood glucose was 93! Ketones were 2.4! Ketonix flashed 8 yellow.
Obviously no problem eating 100 grams of protein in one meal. That is 1.5 pounds of very fatty steak at once.
I’ll test tomorrow as well and several more times to confirm. I do not believe I am affected adversely by eating a large protein meal.

(Dave) #218

Awesome!

Of course, I have to ask – you also tested at 3 hours too, right?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #219

Where’s the bang my head against the wall emoji when I need it?

Ok @DaveKeto
I will test at 3 hours post prandial as well. Lol

:laughing:

(Richard Morris) #221

The Australian Nutrient Reference Values for a 51-70 year old man is 0.84g/kg … for a 80.380 kg LBM that was 67g of protein

nrv.gov.au/nutrients/protein

I lost 30g of lean body mass in 60 days. Given the inaccuracy of some of the compartmentalized measurements I consider that to be withing the error of measurement.

It wasn’t easy to eat that little protein, but it was an interesting experiment. One of the things I noticed was some days I would get a major craving for umami flavored food - like meat, mushrooms, seaweed, vegemite. And when I calculated back on MyFitnessPal it turned out that on those days I had had a shortfall in protein. It only happened when I was below 60g. So by going very low on protein I was able to notice protein hunger which is something I had not experienced before.

I have since goner back to Ad Libitum protein, which ends up being around 120g/day.

(Richard Morris) #222

:bmh: : bmh :